“Staff attitude: too cool for school”
Review of QT Gold Coast

QT Gold Coast
Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Australia
“Staff attitude: too cool for school”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

The hotel room is quite special and there has been a lot of thought given to the little touches. However, during my 2 night stay, I found some of the staff members to be bordering on outright rudeness: the unpleasant girl at the Check-in counter who was barely civil and who failed to mention to me that when i took my car out of the carpark the following day, I would need to have $8 worth of small change in order to get through the boom gate). I also thought the female cashier in the Bazaar restaurant who was dissing other patrons to a colleague and actually rolled her eyes when i asked to split my $650 bill with one other person, was most unprofessional. (We could easily have spend a lot more money on drinks there if some wait staff had come near us). The only other thing i found really uncomfortable was having to walk through the lobby and past the bar (which was noisy, clubby and spilling over with people) to get to the (freezing cold, small) pool in my swimming gear. Overall, I would stay here again only if i couldn't find somewhere else better. I left the place wishing they would employ somebody over the age of 30. The Mantra over the road looks like it has awesome pools, one with a man-made beach.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Daytrippers004

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (775)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 11, 2012

AAhhh where do I even start? Once I got off from the shuttle van, the concierge walk over and greet us. It was a busy busy busy day cos it was a weekend. So the front desk was a bit crowded, but was attended in few minutes. The girl was a bit restless told us that we could not check in early due to weekend. Thats not very welcoming there, but I won't let that spoil my holiday. So I went out for a walk and lunch. Reach hotel again about 2pm and our luggage was sent to our room.
The room and the view... SPLENDID!! If you are a person who takes the shampoo or toiletries from hotels, try taking the bed. The bed is SUPER COMFY!!! I don't even want to wake up!! The only thing I dislike was the toilet is leaking from the tiles, and initially I thought it was just wet. Then I just hover a floor matt over to soak up the water.

The hotel gave us a complimentary dinner in the Bazaar restaurant. I was great!! The hostess gave us a tour before seating us, and immediate attended by a waiter with a wine list. Good wine selections. The chefs are bubbly and funny. They talk to you before making the food. They then send the food to your table without having you waiting at the counter. The seafood are fresh, crabs, scallops, oysters and so on. Once spotted by the waiter, they immediately brings a bowl for us to put the shells in. Also a small bowl of water to wash my fingers. Thoughtful :)

If you decide to have a room service at night, try their 'Banana Cake' *i think that is what they name it* its great!!! I was sooo tempted to have another slice. Its such a sin. lol The girl that was in charge of sending my sinful banana cake to me, was friendly and cheerful, and perky.

The next morning, breakfast at the Bazaar once again, its free *wink wink* and once again, I was blew away by the selection of food, just for breakfast. The potato gratin was out of this world. The least I enjoyed was the bacon. Its not as crispy as I imagine :-/ Maybe I am just picky about my bacons :p

If you are late for breakfast, try the little cafe just in front of the check in counter. Their sandwiches are G.R.E.A.T and the latte is good too. The colourful wall perks you up!!

Saturday night, the Stingray bar turn to disco. Kinda too crowded and some people are drunk lurking outside the hotel. Not a pleasant sight but everything was under control.

So weekend pass off with a blink and weekday comes. The hotel seems a bit quieter BUT the energy of the staffs are great!! Even the restless girl are all smiling and cheerful. Lets say they are more focus on weekdays, yes?

Location is a lil bit far to other places but is near to bus stop. That makes it easier to travel to Currumbin Wildlife Santuary, or Movie/Sea World, or Harbour Town.

The spa was great. I did not try it, but they are selling USPA product which is great. The staff in the spa was polite and cheerful. They know their product and able to suggest me things that I like. Did I mention they are friendly too?

Upon checking out, everything was fine, the shuttle is right on time. Wonderful experience in Gold Coast!!!!!! I definitely will stay there again.

Room Tip: Book the sea view room. Its worth it.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We stayed at QT Gold Coast for 1 night with our 10 month old daughter. We booked a King Ocean View room and the view was excellent. The rooms are comfortable and funky and have all the mod-cons + a few quirky extras. Love the cockatoo night lamp! The beach is only 1 block away and the restaurants and shops of Surfers a 10 minute walk. I would highly recommend this hotel for any kind of traveller. The only small downside is that the pool area is quite small and not really suitable for kids. We would definitely stay here again as it has everything you need with great, friendly staff.

Room Tip: You can't beat a room with an Ocean View!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank OliveJuice77
Melbourne
Reviewed October 11, 2012

This a fairly large modern hotel in Surfers Paradise, one block from the beach.

Our check in was quick and efficient. Room service brought us a complimentary fresh lemonade within a few minutes of arrival; very enjoyable.

Our room on the 19th floor looked away from the beach but the view was nevertheless very pleasant. The balcony was very small and had no furniture. The room itself was medium in size and well appointed. The bathroom was tiny with virtually no shelf space for personal toiletries.

The lack of space in the bathroom and the lack of any balcony furniture were okay for a two night stay but would have been a problem for me for a longer stay.

The extensive breakfast was served in the Bazaar restaurant which was also the main place for dinner. Our rate included dinner for two and if this is available it is a very good deal. Dinner is a buffet which includes a wide selection of fresh seafood (oysters, crab legs, prawns, etc), meats, freshly made stir fries as well as many salads and vegetables and also a large variety of desserts.

The Stingray bar is fun and worth a visit; on Saturday night it was packed and very noisy.

The hotel offers car parking at a reasonable $8.00 per day which allows for multiple entries per 24 hours.

Room Tip: Stingray is very noisy so if you want "quiet", ask for a room on a higher floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Although our stay was linked to business we enjoyed it when we werent working. It was just far enough away from the hustle and bustle of central Surfers, but close to everything too. Love the fresh Lemonade, genius.
The restaurant was amazing, so much to choose from. Rooms are well decked out and everything worked.
Value for money it was great. We are back again on business in mid January so will be coming back for a second visit, looking forward to it, 4 days this time.
We were well taken care of during our short visit so thanks everyone, keep up the good work.
Dave & Morag
Melbourne.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I had a terrific 3 nights at the QT Gold Coast & would thoroughly recommend it. Great room, terrific service (with a smile) & good value. It's a short walk into the heart of Surfers Paradise. Make sure you dine at Bazaar while there & the Stingray Lounge is a must visit.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter
Sydney
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I booked a King Suite and was delighted, I had e VERY nice room and probably the most comfortable hotel bed that I've ever slept it ... QT have SO got it right!

The welcome lemonade is a nice touch, and the mini-bar/in-room snacks/room service is all really reasonably priced.

The outdoor pool and hot-spa pool were both lovely, and QT is a very short walkt ot he beach ...you can even hear the surf when you open your balcony door, which I love when staying by the sea.

Very few down-sides but worth mentioning:

- Be aware that the noise/music from the Singray Bar on Fridayand Saturday ngihts completely fills the lobby, so I felt like I was checking into a nightclub/function. I guess it makes the place buzzy, and Stingray is a good bar. Note that the the guest rooms don't get any of this noise!

- The gorgeous, deep Japanese-style bath took a long time to fill, and there is nothing in the luxury ameneties to put in it. Bath salts would be a good solution.

- I did a breakfast and dinner deal, but I'm really not a fan of buffet restaurants. The Bazaar gets rave reviews, and the food is nice, but just be aware if you aren't a fan of hunting for your food with the crowds, then standing around waiting for it to be cooked/heated etc.