“The Last Hurrah”

Ranked #4 of 32 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Brisbane, Australia
“The Last Hurrah”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2012

WE have just returned from QT after a night away to celebrate our "Last Hurrah" as we are due for our first child in 3 weeks.
Overall we LOVE it and so glad we have finally found a hotel with a little bit of bloody personality, in a mostly conservative and boring world! It was refreshing to have bright red hair on a girl in a blue jumpsuit greet us when we arrived. Hooray!
I'll get my moan out of the way first so we can move on to greater things - it took 24 hrs for the lemonade to arrive lol. We did make 2 phone calls and made 2 personal visits to Concierge to get it delivered but the planets just didn't align. We got it delivered today as we checked out at 1pm so it was a nice way to end a sunny morning. The lemonade is a great idea Sas - it just needs some logistical tweaking at check in.

The pool and pool bar were great and although our food order was lost, once the staff realised they quickly got it sorted AND sorted us a free drink. You don't mind mistakes when they are graciously fixed.

Bazaar is the highlight of this hotel and definitely a marketing opportunity for this place. We would drive from Bris just to have dinner here .... the idea and the execution are excellent. I had breakfast this morning there too and it was just as good.
Our Ocean Suite was on Level 5, so next time I will be pleading for a higher one, as the view up higher must be amazing. It was well worth spending the extra $$ on the ocean side.

Here is an idea for the place too - how about a "Last Hurrah" package. We were one of three couples celebrating the end of our freedom this weekend ... maybe room, breakfast and one of your pregnancy massages??????

The ONLY way it could be more perfect is if you had some rooms that were "pet friendly". Maybe dogs under 6kg that are not allowed in pool/foyer etc - but are allowed in rooms and lifts as long as they are carried? Would be great to bring the spoilt lap dog next time :)

We will be back when all our visitors arrive post baby - they have to all come to at least eat at Bazaar and try out the amazing beds.
:))
(PS - the location is great. A short stroll to Cavill ave and only 50m to the beach. What are people whining about??)

1 Thank love t
sasrowlandsQT, Manager at QT Gold Coast, responded to this review, February 21, 2012
Dear love t,

Oh what a joyous review from a pair of darling babymooners! Nothing cuter than see a loved up little family to be romping around the hotel.

I hope the weather was wonderful for you and you had a great float. Nothing like being able to swim while you are relaxing during a summer pregnancy.

The dreaded lemonade time lapse again. Thankyou for not being too cranky about it. Your review was very diplomatic. 24 hours is def not our target delivery time. We have been working and working on this one, and it is proving to be a real little bugger. We will diligently keep trying to improve on this and I think it's time for another internal 'Lemonade issue meeting'.

Sorry again that we lost your food order. Hope it wasn't a craving that you were hanging out for dear life on. I can only imagine how frustrating it would be to be hanging out for the spicy buffalo wings and hanging......and hanging..... and then having to reorder. Naughty us.

Please come back with your newly acquired poppet. We would love to take care of you again and hope we can have the lemonade 'gawd' moments cleared up by then (surely).

Have a safe and lovely birth and all the best for this next wonderful phase in your life.

QT

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (748)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2012

This hotel has been on at Surfers Paradise for a long time, It has under gone a fantastic rennovation. The theme is beach, fun and sun with funky style. The rooms are wonderful, large with great beds and good size bathrooms, funky modern decor that is wonderfully inviting. The only complaints I have with my room (1208) was the air conditioning, my room was a corner room facing south-west, couldn't get it cool enough in very humid weather and too cold at night (outlet blows straight over the bed). I was there for a conference and a large number of delegates complained about the air in their rooms. The other small compalint is the cost of mini bar items, $8.00 for a Australian beer is over the top, plus other items bit too expensive, that aside this was a great place to stay. The staff are super friendly and service is very good. Food wise the breakfasts are just brilliant, too much to choose from but that is way better than not enough.
The Stringray bar is a great place for a drink in the evenings and the other restuatrants of excellent quality. Location wise the hotel is in a great spot, short walk to a patrolled beach and wonderful beachside walkway. It is about 12 minute walk to Cavill Avenue for shops and cafes and nightclubs. The pool area isn't huge but wonderful place to relax, I did note on a couple mornings that the pool area was closed till 9.00am, annoying if you want a swim after a run on the beach in the mornings, not sure if this is common practice as I was able to swim early on one morning of my five day stay.
I wouldn't recoomend this place for families with children, but couples and business people very much yes.
PS: one thing I did notice which was strange in that you could in some of the lifts only enter three floor levels otherwise it would wipe the entires out??!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Dear NewieTraveller,

Well, you're lovely! Despite a bit of a mixed bag of a stay you still gave us a good review. We really, really appreciate it. We are really seeing that we have the big picture stuff all sorted now (relief) and that we have got to get right into the nitty gritty of fine tuning our day to day which we completely recognise.

We logged the air con issues and we are onto it. Ditto the pool. We are looking at our rostering to make sure that this is more consistent. So sorry we didn't have this sorted for your stay.

Thanks for all the notes on the hotel. I'll share this with the team tomorrow and we will work on each and every one.

Torquay, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2012

We stayed at the GCI 3 years ago and it was just another normal Hotel. The transformation to QT is amazing. THe hotel now is unique, different, modern, funky, stylish, new, interesting and fun! We had an ocean view room (1409) with amazing views. The room was fully renovated with funky design, big king size bed, new modern bathroom. Great idea to serve homemade lemonade on arrival. The whole hotel has been renoveated (reception area, lifts, hallways, everything!). We booked a dinner/breakfast package. Bfast and dinner buffet was the best we've ever had. The buffet is not just amazing, it's a whole experience. chefs cook in front of you for you, there is smoothies, fresh juices served in glass bottles, amazing selection of fresh fruits, yogurts... it's amazing. i have never seen anything like this. the design makes you feel like you are at a fresh food market somewhere in italy.

our whole experience was amazing. the one and only downfall was that i was overcharged $300 on check out and when i realised it, i went back to reception and received the refund straight away (that was good) but no apology whatsoever. it would have been nice to hear an apology from reception staff. It also took 5 days to receive the room bond of $600 back which was frozen on my credit card. I found 5 days unusually long.

Other than that we had an amazing time and I would recommend this hotel to everyone!!!

Dear anikanet_10,

I would completely agree that a $300 overcharge on our behalf warrants an apology! I'm sorry about it, and also sorry that you have had to wait for my to reply to hear it. Sounds like a little manners refresher may be in order for our bevy of belles!

You got your lemonade! Whopeeeeeeeee! Thank heavens for that. It's such a fun little gift and it's nice to know that we are getting it in there on time sometimes.

Sounds like you loved the design of the hotel, and this is a wonderful thing. The designers did such a beautiful job with the space, and the original hotel had such wonderful bones to build from. We are very lucky to come to work here each day!.

The five days for your refund does sound like a long time. We release it back on the day, and we are constantly trying to figure out how long each bank takes to process it, but there seems to be no reason to the delays sometimes (I think I should start a tally so I can try and figure out a trend so I can be more helpful on it.)

We hope you come and stay with us again. Have a wonderful week.

Gold Coast, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2012

My Partner and i were travelling on our honeymoon and found QT to be the perfect Modern hotel
We have stayed once before with the QT before the rooms were refurbed and we love what they have done with rooms, the beds are to die for and the lemonade kit is such a special touch
the only complaint we would have is the front desk staff seemed not interested in serving the guests
we ate in both restaurants and enjoyed them immensely and would go back again and again
overall the hotel is beautiful and a great stay

Dear mickdani,

Happy honeymoon! Look how cute your picture is. Lovebirds!

What a pleasure it is to have played host to your honeymoon.I am so happy that we did a great job of your stay and that you loves the little welcome touches like the lemonade.

Front desk staff - now this seems to be a trend at the moment and when we see a trend on here (like our famous missing lemonade) we ramp up our efforts to get this under control. Rest assured this will be rectified immediately and your telling us your thoughts is vital in us getting to know this part of our business more - greatly appreciated.

Pleas come and see us again soon (maybe a babymoon like one of the other reviews I have responded to tonight!).

With care,

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2012

One night stay, a couple.

Rooms: Stayed in a king ocean room. Haven't stayed at the hotel since last year, when the foyer/restaurants were refurbished but not the rooms, so it was great to see the refurbishment. The bed was incredibly comfortable, the TV was massive/high quality, all of the fit outs were really well thought out and had a similar design aesthetic (not just thrown together). Bathroom was well designed too - not massive, but the shower had good water pressure and everything fit - so that's really all that's necessary in a standard hotel room style bathroom!
Staff: On the whole, really friendly! One little exception (below) but everyone else was really friendly and accommodating. Particular thumbs up to the chefs at Bazaar.
Check in/out: Check in a little slow, but then again checking in at 2:15pm, that's pretty standard. Really though, not very long. Check out was lightning quick and efficient without being rushed.
Food/drink: Bazaar is just so well set out, had breakfast again there, and loved it. Great mix of healthy and heart attack options. Pool bar is lovely when it is open - nice relaxed feel and really reasonable prices. Likewise with the room service, good menu and really reasonable price - no "service charge" that bumps up the price to something exorbitant. A smart idea having the food/drink prices as per "bar" rather than as per "hotel" - encourages people to explore the property.

My only quibble was with one staff member at one of the bars - whilst I totally understand that getting some drinks can sometimes take a bit of time (seriously, I understand!), it was frustrating that I was told it would be "4 minutes", and in the end I waited about 15-20 minutes, saw nothing was happening, and asked for the drink order not to go through. I wouldn't have minded at all if it was going to take 5/10/20 minutes and I was told that - again, I totally understand that things are in different fridges/the bar person is waiting on someone else/etc - but it was annoying that I had to take the initiative and ask several times. That said - all of the other staff - from check in to room service to bars to Bazaar - were wonderful! I can't state that enough - but I think it is fair that if there's a short delay on something, to be reasonably honest on how long it'll be, or if things blow out, to let the person know.

In general though, had a lovely time, and we'll be back for sure! I think the hotel advertising/marketing is reasonably clear that it is primarily aiming for a kind of "niche" audience to a degree, which is fine by me. The Gold Coast has enough diverse accommodation options to suit everyone - families, couples, singles, young people, older people, quiet times, party times, etc.

Room Tip: Ocean views are great. From past views, the "mountain" view has that, but with a lot of re...
Dear traveloctopus,

*Happy dance* Five stars from a Senior Reviewer with 31 reviews under their belt and nearly as many helpful votes! QT Gold Coast is loving you and loving life!

You can really tell when reviewers give a lot of time to setting out their reviews for Tripadvisor users (and hotels) to be able to easily maximise their use of the review.

Thanks so much for taking the time to run through all of the areas of the hotel for us and we are suitably chuffed that we are ticking all of the right boxes for you.

So sorry that we hiccupped on the bar wait. They are used to being flat out in there, so I'm unsure what the hold up was, but as you said this is not OK. Will pass it on and make sure that the team are aware of our need to get the drinks out (cold and on time).

We are delighted that you will be back, and would love to take care of you again soonest.

NSW Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2012

We have just returned from a wonderful weekend at the QT Gold Coast. The concept is amazing and the quirky ideas from the freshly made lemonade in the room on arrival to The Lawn lounge dowstairs make this hotel a welcome and refreshing change. Staff are all young and energetic and very helpful. I must say the decor is really mind blowing and the uniforms of the staff are so cool. The Bazaar restaurant has the best pork belly I have ever had but the idea of the marketplace and the quality of the food exceeded all our expectations!!! Absolutely beautiful.
Breakfast in Bazaar had the best variety and quality of food we have ever had in any place we have stayed, including overseas. We loved the juices in the bottles with the caps and the little potato rosti and the mini scones are to die for.
Yamagen japanese was yummy as well just remember to book both restaurants as they book out quickly and you wouldn't want to miss any of it.
The other bonus is it is only a block from the beach and 5 minute walk to Cavill Mall but yet far enough away to be calmer and quieter.

Top it off we got a great package for 2 nights with bonuses which made it very affordable as well.

All's we can say is "way to go QT!!!!" we will be back and just wouldn't bother staying anywhere else.

Gold Coast, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2012

My partner and I were given a voucher for Xmas from our kids for 1 nights accommodation buffet dinner and buffet brekky they booked for 11th February which was also my birthday weekend
I will start at the beginning smooth check in 18th floor hinterland view.... wasn't told which room were in but was written on the card this is the only negative that we have about this hotel
Loved the funky rooms and decor and I don't think at all that that anything was tacky in this hotel....Our buffet dinner was absolutely superb starting from the seafood hot and cold meats
prawn dumplings yummo and the sweets which was on a wooden board didn't look like anything but just loved the popping candy..Mark was the floor manager and he explained everything to us in detail and how it all worked...Angela was our waitress for the night and she was fantastic and filled my icebowl without me asking (that's for my chardy) job well done also I loved the idea that you could get a wine carafe of 500 mls....went to the stingray bar to check it out.... it was pumping (our kids go there)but we decided no it was 10 deep at the bar so we toddled up to our room
so glad we did cos we were up nice and early for our brekky and we were greeted by Laurie
who was just so bubbly and our breakfast was the best we have ever had and yes we too have travelled all around the world and I don't review if I feel they don't deserve it (not into negative reviews).
We met Franca on the 18th floor she was cleaning the rooms and she was very animated and very friendly...Thanks Franca and all the best...had a swim in the pool after we had been down to the beach and knew it was time to go and check out...boo hoo we only live 10mins away but we didn't want to leave we wanted to have lunch in the buffet and go and listed to some music in the stingray bar...but all good things must come to an end.....the checkout was fantastic and we met Kim I just loved her hair....we will definitely be back for staying and for eating...We live on the Gold Coast and sometimes you just don't appreciate what's in your own back yard...Thank You once again QT you made my birthday and I firmly believe you get what you give ps we loved our beds and pillows where can we get the pillows from? also how fantastic to have a hair dryer that is not stuck to the wall (remington so cute)

Room Tip: Will book ocean view next time
1 Thank LisaandDarren1997
Dear LisaandDarren,

What a pair of happy little vegemites you are! You loves your stay from the dumplings to the decor and everything in between.

It's wonderful that we gave you a great place to host your birthday! I absolutely love the remington hairdryer too. The designs on them are so cute (trust me to pick out the most girly thing on your post to identify with lol).

Completely agree with the bar. It is crazy busy and it's fun that your kids are also QT lovers! Stingray really is a local hot spot and it's always pumping.

Knowing that you are in our backyard we hope that you will come back again soonest. Send me an email (I'll inbox you my email) and let me know when your bday is because we would love to have you back next year,