“Needs more improvement”
Review of QT Gold Coast

QT Gold Coast
Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Reviewed May 2, 2011

Great location, but incomplete renervations, average service and questionable room cleanliness reduced the experience. Would like to see how it is in a year or two, as competed upgrades are great, but till then there are better options on Surfers Paradise.

• Stayed: May 2011
QTGoldCoast_Mgmt, Manager at QT Gold Coast, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to share your impressions on your visit to the QT Gold Coast.

As you acknowledged we have completed the refurbishments of the ground and first floors. While stage two of the refurbishment, the guest rooms, is scheduled for completion in late December this year. I hope at that stage you will try the hotel again to experience the full impact of our new hotel.

Reviewed April 28, 2011

Firstly, let me say that my stay at QT left me underwhelmed and regretting my choice. The first room we were given -910- had a ceiling with terrible water damage, there were actual holes. Now considering we were paying over $200 a night, I honestly expected more.
At breakfast on the first morning I was told by the omelette chef that there were no more tomatoes available and she was to busy to go and get any. Only after I collected some grilled tomatoes from the breakfast buffet did she make an attempt.
Thirdly on our last night we had a complimentary dinner at Bazaar. My 7 year old son was charged $18 to eat with us plus a $5 surcharge because it was a public holiday. I have experienced 10% surcharges before but not 28% surcharges. Fortunately my 5 year old was not hungry.
However at breakfast my wife and I were provided with free breakfast due to us electing to pay a higher price per night but our 5 & 7 year olds were charged $13 each for the privilege to join their parents for breakfast.
We visit the gold coast 2 a year and have stayed at numerous hotel chains. This was my first experience at a Rydges property and based on my overall experience my last. There are many other hotel chains that offer and provide more without the impression that the hotel is continually trying to grab more of your dollars.
There were other I incidences which I could mention but the above ones were the main ones that stick out.

• Stayed: April 2011
2  Thank Shaun F

I was sorry to hear your concerns regarding your room and your experience in Bazaar. On behalf of the QT Gold Coast I would like to sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused to you on what should be a trouble free stay. It is obvious we have not delivered the required service to you on this occasion.

I would like to be able to discuss your concerns with you directly however as trip advisor is an anonymous feedback forum we are unable to find you details. Please contact either myself or Matt Lawton directly so that we can discuss your concerns further.

Reviewed April 27, 2011

We stayed at Mountain River View Twin Roomfor two nights with 4 & 6 yo. The room was renovated well, and good size with comfortable double sized beds. We were in Room 1104 with a little balcony looking towards the GC hinterland and also looking at the hotel cross the road (but was not too bothered about the other hotel).

The room was quite cold at night, and we wanted to have an extra blanket. (Didn't want to use the aircon/heater as it will dry us out). It took me 15-20 mins to engage someone on the reception over the phone to request a couple of blankets. (I tried other numbers, but no one was answering) However, after waiting for two hours, no one had turned up with blankets. So I had to call again and complained. This time, the lady who took a call from Concierge, personally came to the room. I found Concierge staff were very friendly and helpful, but the main Reception staff were very snobby and unfriendly. I did not impress with the attitude of the receptionist at the check-in, as well. We also had a broken kettle, but we couldn't be bothered to call again and complain since I knew I have to wait forever for someone to answer the phone.

Facilities are very simple modern, not really for kids in mind but more oriented for young adults. We went to the pool, but I thought the overall size of the pool was rather small for the size of the accomodation. There was a shallow area, which I assume it is a wading pool, but an adult was lying and occupied the whole area. The whole colour scheme of the pool is more for adult taste, so some people may not realise that there were area for kids, too. Anyway, as the weather was still warm enough, we gave up on using pool and went to the beach instead. The beach is 5 mins walk, so it wasn't a problm.

We did not use any of restaurants, as it was more 'night club' like than restaurants except a Japanese restaurant there.

Overall, the stay was present enough, except the reception staff. But luckily, it is not too often we had to engage with them during the stay anyway. The overall looks and attitudes of some of young receptionists aren't something I expected from higher star hotels.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family

I was disappointed to read that you had difficulty with your interactions with the reception team. On behalf of the QT Gold Coast I would like to sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused to you on what should be a trouble free stay. It is obvious we have not delivered the required service to you on this occasion. In response we have addressed your concerns with further training for the reception team.

Reviewed April 21, 2011

We stayed for a long weekend in April using a package deal from the QT website - cheaper than Wotif. The check-in was smooth and friendly. In fact, all the staff were super friendly and helpful throughout. Our room was not refurbished but comfortable nonetheless with a beautiful view of the ocean. Thankfully, smoking guests are not teated as pariahs here, so we had a smoking room. Parking was complimentary (always a bonus). Very handy to the beach and a short walk to Cavill Ave.
Stingrays Bar has an excellent selection of cocktails and a cool atmosphere.
The highlight was dinner in the Bazaar Restaurant - a wonderful buffet style dining experience where the chefs cook dishes to your liking, be it canapes, steak or chinese. And the dessert bar........mmmmmm. Can't remember the last time I was so full.
We had a fabulous time and look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
QTGoldCoast_Mgmt, Manager at QT Gold Coast, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2011

It is certainly sounds like you had a great time in Bazaar restaurant, I find it difficult to keep enough room for the deserts when I am dining up there as all the food is so tasty.

Reviewed April 17, 2011

First things first........The staff here are incredible as are the already renovated sections of the hotel. After becoming a Rydges priority guest, I expected a better room for the $300+ dollars I paid for the room and a higher floor. When we got to the room, I was disapointed. The beds looked like they had been laid on and not made very well. There was milk open in the fridge and corn chips spilt on the floor. The room was VERY dated. After 2 hours debating as to weather I should have a winge to the staff I went back down stairs and spoke to the very lovely Amanda at the front counter who initially was going to ask houskeeping to fix up the issues. I told her that I wasnt happy with that and wanted a room change. No problems what so ever. Amanda gave me a room on the 19th Floor and this room was better appointed and had a different fitout to the others(one of the new rooms????? not sure).
In hindsight, paying what I did and being a Rydges priority guest, I would have expected this room straight off the bat.
This hotel is going to be awesome when its finished as the most important things are in place already...i.e Great Staff and excellent customer service. I filled in an online survey which was sent to me by the hotel and expressed my concern over what happenend and I actually received a response from a real person which surprised me greatly.
Also I must commend the hotel on how sound proof the doors are. We had some trashy Bogan chicks staying on our floor and felt the need to "Hang out" in the hallway at 4pm making alot of noise. I got up to get a drink of water and I only heard them when I went really close to the door.
Ill be staying again but only when the place is fully renovated.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends

I am pleased that while your initial room was not of the standard that you were expecting as soon as you spoke to Amanda she was able to resolve all of your concerns. For your reference our rooms are scheduled to be refurbished this year, so next time you visit you will be able to experience a QT room!

Reviewed April 15, 2011

We stayed there end of March and begining of April for 1 week. I was enjoying the ocean breeze with my kids( it was raining) and we suddenly smelled cigarette smokes and we quickly closed our sliding door, we didn't have anymore problem after that day, so I didn't bother letting the staff know. On the last 2 days of our stay ( weekend) the smoke got worse, we aksed the front desk if smoking was permitted on balcony on none smoking floors, we were told no and they would let security know, we continued to smell the smoke and just kept the slding door closed. Good thing the weather was so nice , we were out at the beach most of the day.
Other than that everything else was good, staff at front desk and concierge were very friendly and helpful, service was really fast. The room did not quite look like what was on the picture at the hotel ( still under renovation ?), decor a bit outdated with cracked floors and tiles in the bathroom . The cleanliness of the room all depends on who you get from housekeeping. We met all our housekeepers during our stay, the first 2 days were not up the standard , but after that was just great. We got extra stuff without asking for them but didn't get any with a note left behind on the first 2 days, gratuity didn't make any difference.
My husband was on the working holiday, internet was pricey, no WIFI in the room.
The gym was basic, but TV not working and I forgot to bring my music.
Pool was nice, but it was cold when we were there. The beach was warmer.
Despite our bad luck with the smokes, I recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ocean view room view is best after the 16th floor.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
sasrowlandsQT, Director of Social Media at QT Gold Coast, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2013

Dear bcjr,

Thanks so much for your review. Sounds like you had a wonderful stay apart from some pesky smokers on the balconies. We are absolutely a non-smoking hotel, but being a hotel where every room has a balcony comes with this very drawback sometimes. It is not a regular occurrence, but it does happen. So sorry for this.

We hope that the great things during your stay outweighed this part of the trip and that we may see you again next time you are in town.

Sas
QT

Reviewed April 11, 2011

This hotel was just brilliant. We just wanted a reasonably priced one-night getaway, but we got so much more. The hotel is under going a refurbishment and the lobby is just breathtaking, the bar, pool, cafe and reception areas are beautiful. While the rooms are yet to be refurbished they are still very modern and the bathrooms look practically new. We stayed in an ocean view room which had lovely balcony overlooking the beach which is about 2 minutes walk from the hotel. It's in a great spot and I would highly recommended it.

We particularly enjoyed our dinner at the hotel's restaurant, Bazzar. The dining experience is like a 5-star buffet for a very reasonable price where you're able to talk to the chefs and they make special meals on the spot at your request. The atmosphere was wonderful and it was most enjoyable.

Looking forward to seeing the finished refurb, but would definitely still recommended the QT Hotel in the meantime.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
QTGoldCoast_Mgmt, Manager at QT Gold Coast, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2011

I was pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to experience dinner in Bazaar. Being able to speak to the chefs and order small tastings cooked fresh certainly makes it a different experience to a normal buffet.