“Good location but get a riverside room”

Vibe Hotel Gold Coast
Ranked #18 of 31 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Reviewed January 11, 2010

Great location, handy to the town, shops, restaurants and only a couple blocks from the beach. A supermarket was across the road within the mall but I recommend the market which is in the central circle just slightly further down from the hotel as its got better variety and better value for money. When staying here, make sure you get complimentary breakfast as its quite expensive otherwise for what you get. They have cooked and continental but it got quite boring after the 3rd day. Also, when booking, definitely make sure you get a riverside room as we had the inconvenience of staying our first night in the front part of the hotel and it wasnt the traffic but the very very noisy air conditioner which kept us up most of the night. It really is very loud in the quiet of early morning and it sounds like jet planes taking off - no kidding. So the next day we moved to a riverside room (which we were supposed to have anyway but they mixed up our booking and the receptionist we got that late evening we arrived was so rude and said we had to wait for the 'reservations' staff to take care of it next morning but we got reception to take care of it next morning instead). Overall, its an old building thats been done up but it was comfortable for our stay and as Ive said quite handy to town so we would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank TheRocksKiwi1

Reviewed January 8, 2010

Great location right in the heart of Surfers Paradise, with gym, swimming pool, restaurant and pool bar.

Make sure that your breakfast is complimentary with the price when you check in.

Ask for a river view room where possible.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dave G
Reviewed January 5, 2010

I actually quite enjoyed it. Above all, it was very clean and comfy and I liked that.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank W0man
Reviewed January 4, 2010

We stayed at the Vibe in a Standard Room with a Full Buffet Breakfast included over new years and were happy when we were given a room on a higher floor looking towards the ocean, the staff are very helpful and friendly. The hotel is an older building that has been renovated, the rooms are very modern, clean and have a good vibe to them. The balcony however makes the building feel old with the rails and the worn/weathered floor outside. The balconys are also very close together and open so expect to see your neighours out there sitting about a metre from you both beside, below and above on the sides which can be awkard if you want to sit out their and talk knowing there pretty much sitting beside you on an open balcony looking at you and listening to your conversation.
The buffet breakfast was great and included everything you could have for breakfast, such as Toast, Jam, Bacon, Eggs, Soup, Spagetti, Sausages, Cereal, Fruits, Coffee, Juices and much more with views over the river which was nice.
The parking however is another story, with the underground car park having a minimium height of 1.85M if you have a 4WD, Van or anything heigher then a standard sedan you will be expected to still pay the $8 a night parking fee and be forced to park in the foyer area or out the front on the grass which is not very safe and secure considering you have to pay for it and the parking on the grass out the front is illegal. Unfortunetly seen i was there over new years they had more heigher vehicles then they could accomidate so parking was where ever you could find, most of the time it had to be out the front on the grass. Unfortunetly for me i had to park there along with others on new years and i had my vehicle damaged by someone throwing sparklers onto the roof which i was not impressed about considering i had to pay the same as others who parked in a secure car park.
Overall the hotel is great and i can highly recommend it to others.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Superior_Scott
Reviewed December 28, 2009

My partner & I stayed at the Vibe Hotel for the 2 nights for Xmas. I read through some reviews telling to look through the mini bar before making yourself comfortable. Well, that's what i did & found few alcohol bottles missing so I hurry called housekeeping but no response. I quickly went to reception. I never knew what a brilliant customer service. The receptionist went up with me back to the room to check out which items were missing & found misplaced in the cupboard.

Room is great looking at the river view from the 18th floor! Magnificent! We enjoyed very much during our stay. We loved to come back soon. Absolutely an excellent experience..

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MeLuvHolidays
Reviewed November 27, 2009

When I arrived at the hotel I had been informed that I had been upgraded to the 'premium room' from the standard room. Also There is no off street parking so be prepared to pay $8 a day for parking. I arrived at the room and it resembled no difference to what the standard room was said to have. I assumed there would have been some sort of cooking appliances there but there wasn't. This was my fault as I didn't research it properly; however I attempted to upgrade to a room with a cooking facilities and the only option available was a room with a microwave for $100 extra which I didn't see the value out of it. The pool area also does not have BBQ facilities so if you are considering preparing your own food than this hotel is not for you.

When I arrived home I received a bill for two beers from the mini bar with a total of $25. This was the most expensive beer I have never drunk as I had been charged for something that I did not take from the mini bar as I did not use the mini bar at all. I called up for a refund which they agreed to, no apology at all for using my credit card under false pretences however I did not complain as they said they would process my refund.

To the credit of the hotel, SOME of the staff were very helpful but there good work was undone by the negligence and carelessness of others. The room is also modern and in good condition putting aside the small uncomfortable shower.

Overall if you want to stay at a mediocre hotel and you can't afford anything else than consider this hotel. However in my opinion it would be in your best interest to stay at a professional rated 4.5 star hotel rather than a self rated one.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Personaltrainer86
MatthewRichardson, Manager at Vibe Hotel Gold Coast, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2009

Vibe Hotel Gold Coast is a AAA Rated 4.5 Star Hotel.

Reviewed November 13, 2009

Extremely comfortable king size beds - better than most apartments that usually only have queen size. Good to have individual doonas. Fabulous location, so close to Cavill Avenue, restaurants, beach and shopping.Great views from the balcony (18th floor) in river view room. Good, filling buffet breakfast. Closing the balcony door shuts out most of the noise from hoons and party people at night. All staff at reception & restaurant smiling and most helpful.
Now the little cons: housekeeping a bit hit and miss, but nothing major to complain about. Awful pillows that give no neck support.
We've stayed twice now, once in August and now November and will be back!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple