“Very disappointed with our stay”

Mantra on View Hotel
Ranked #11 of 31 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
australia
“Very disappointed with our stay”
Reviewed April 28, 2014

We recently stayed at the outrigger. We had stayed here in the past but a few years ago.
The hotel is in a great location with great views of the surfers paradise beaches however this is about the only positive.
The front of house staff were slow and kept us waiting for quite a while on check in.
Our room was nice,great views,tiny balcony and no mini bar!!
The bed was like a piece of concrete the hardest hotel bed I have ever slept in.
We ordered room service after being out all night... A toasted sandwich with chips... On arrival it was the most disgusting room service... Basically an onion sandwich with a bag of crisps thrown on the top!!! We complained the next morning and after a long heated discussion with the front desk did not have to pay for this.
Food at this hotel is very ordinary breakfast was not much better.
My advice if you stay here is to definately have breakfast at one of the cafés around the corner.
We will definately NOT return to this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank hardysontour
OutriggerSPGM, General Manager at Mantra on View Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Dear Hardysontour,

I was extremely disappointed to read your review, especially as we are undertaking refurbishments etc, with room painting, corridor recarpeting and painting, pool area upgrades etc. We have replaced mattresses and bases in approx. 90% of rooms, but not all as yet. Could you please email me on Grant.James@outrigger.com.au with the room number so I can address immediately.

I hope you do return to the hotel and give us a second chance, as you said you stayed with us in the past and this would then allow us to show you the Outrigger hospitality that you have experienced.

I really appreciate the time taken to provide reviews, and I can assure you we use these to improve.

Kind regards and I sincerely look forward to a future visit and also your reply on room number.

Regional General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Ballarat, Australia
Reviewed April 25, 2014

Truly an experience to give a miss. Customer care and service is lacking, rooms are tired and bedding not fresh. Located next to a noisey theme park. Having plates scraped at the table by untrained staff was deplorable.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Neathgran
Dear Neathgran

Apologies that your stay was less than acceptable and be assured we are working on the hotel upgrade, with guest floor corridors currently being recarpeted and painted. Guests rooms repainted with some 176 completed this far and approx. 10 -12 per week being completed. The pool area is being upgrades with all pool area tiling etc to be finalized by the end of May and planters and walls being quoted on at present.

This is the first complaint we have had re the rides park 2 blocks over, and assume this noise would have been from the guests on the slingshot etc.

Your comments on the plates being scraped are acknowledged and have been addressed with the restaurant manager, supervisors and the new staff member we have had and this will not happen again.

Kind regards and many thanks for the comments which are and will be used to improve the hotel and service provided.

Phnom Penh
Reviewed April 24, 2014

First impression, it stank. On a closer look, nothing had been cleaned. The bathroom was mouldy with a layer of scum in the sink, the vanity hadn't been wiped, mouldy roof, marks on the bedsheets, handprints on the headboards, curtains and walls had something splattered across them, and opened the draw to get a cup and cockroaches came out. Attempt at a refurb is poor with a cheap coat of paint suppose to look new but cracking and peeling off the walls. Don't be tricked by the pretty foyer. Would have been cleaner staying at a backpackers.

Room Tip: Inspect the rooms first. We prepaid so didn't have options.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank HaileyM85
Dear HaileyM85,

My sincerest apologies for the issues you faced and this is not the normal standard or acceptable. I would sincerely appreciate you emailing me on Grant.James@outrigger.com.au so I can identify the room and inspect personally.

We are undertaking a repaint of guest rooms and I can assure you it is not a cheap process and as such would like to inspect this particular room. I can also guarantee that we undertake a regimented program of pest control with Elders, particularly as we have the fly in cockroach (as we advise on the stickers on the balcony doors) and again need to check this room.

I look forward to your email and again sincerest apologies and sincerely hope you will stay with us again to see this is not the normal standard.

Sincerely

Tauranga, New Zealand
Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

My son and I stayed 2 nights. Centre city.clean tidy.classy hotel.. lst night.8th floor.sun streamed in and so did the noise. Theme rides till late , traffic ,construction and Jack hammers.upgraded for 2nd night paying another $90.pushing to get on other side.to be told room allocation couldn't be made till later. Left bags in lobby. Came back late in day to check into new room to be told. U guessed it. Same side.19th floor. Less noise they reckoned. Nope...not at all. Worse if anything.was given voucher for buy 1 get 1 free breakfast . Not exactly same as what I paid to upgrade.but that was all they could do. Oh and said sorry.apart from that all good..wouldn't stay again in case it happened again.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank waves2u
OutriggerSPGM, General Manager at Mantra on View Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Dear Waves2u,

Thanks for taking the time to provide a review on your recent stay. Apologies re the noise and assume, unfortunately that this relates to the Light Rail Construction. We have been advised that all light rail construction around the hotel will be finished in less than 3 weeks, with night works due to finish very shortly. This project has had significant impact on all businesses in Surfers Paradise for 2 years and we cannot wait for it to finish.

I appreciate your comments about clean and classy and with our current upgrade projects (corridor painting and carpeting, room painting) and pool retiling, as well as further improvements to rooms and public areas.

We hope to have you stay with us again as after may all construction will be finished and the light rail operations.

Kind regards and many thanks for the valued feedback which is used with our teams .

Reviewed April 21, 2014

We got a deal through booking.com at $135/night and were overall impressed with stay. We were given a twin room with an ocean view at around the 14-18th level (can't remember exactly!) which was amazing. Although it was a little disappointing that we only had a side view of the ocean from the balcony, we thought that the price we paid was fair enough. The hotel rooms look a little bit dated but at least the front desk looked newly renovated; and staff were friendly and warm. Would definitely return again to escape from the hustle and bustle of Brisbane city and to look forward to waking up to sounds of the ocean waves beneath us. All in all, wonderful experience!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chenny063
Dear Chenny063

It was great to read we contributed to a break from the hustle and bustle of Brisbane. The tem at the hotel are really focussed on providing friendly and helpful service.

I appreciate the views are all from the balcony, due to the position of the hotel, but know how spectacular they can be. One block from the beach and central Surfers. We are working on the rooms at present with 176 having been painted and completing approx. 10 -15 per week, all rooms have had light upgrades and sheer curtains replaced and we have an interior designer currently working on further refurbishment plans.

We look forward to your next break from Brisbane.

Kind regards and thanks for the great feedback.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 21, 2014

An amazing place for a perfect holiday. We stayed at Outrigger in Surfers Paradise for 4nights. It was out first holiday after a long time. Highly impressed in every aspect of the Hotel. On top of everything this hotel is highly blessed with a wonderful team. Leanna at Conceirge, Allana at check in, Maya and Chloe at our check out had been very helpful, friendly and professional, just perfect people at perfect place. We will highly recommend this place to anyone without any hesitation.
Rami
Sydney

Room Tip: We stayed at level 10, city view. It was a very quiet and same time we enjoyed ocean view from our b...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Rami H
Dear RamiH,

Your feedback is sincerely appreciated and be assured your comments on Leanna, Allana, Chloe and Maya will be relayed and I know how hard these team members work to make a guests stay memorable.

I am glad we contributed to you having a great 4 day break.

The changes in the hotel with corridor painting and re-carpeting and painting of guest rooms, as well as other upgrades will provide greater comfort for our guests coupled with the service such as above.

We look forward to your future stays with us and again I appreciate the valued feedback.

Kind regards

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed April 15, 2014

The Outrigger in Surfers Paradise is staffed by nice friendly and professional personnel, but that's where it ends!

The Hotel is old and tired and tries to make a "silk purse of a sows ear" by dressing up the reception area to be nice and bright.

We did not sample the Restaurant and Bar , hence no comment here.

The room was advertised as with "City Views" , well take a look at the attached photo of our view! Truly, I suggest this is false advertising ! I would make sure if you stay here, make sure your room is above the 5th Floor as there was NO VIEW!

The beds, golly they are bad, even my 8yo son complained of a sore back each morning (we stayed 3 nights), clearly these are cheap and nasty beds , and it became clear to me that these rooms can be purchased from a realtor in Surfers Paradise, as we saw Repossession Sales of these rooms at an agency! It all clicked, the rooms will have cheap furnishings and I should learn a lesson and not book on-line as you just don't know what you are getting unless its a modern and reputable hotel/motel!

Next, the pool, heck its old! Tiles missing everywhere, so watch your kids feet when walking around the shallows, see attached pictures. At least its clean.

Clearly this is a hotel that caters to visitors of our Oriental neighbours and perhaps don't realise what they are in for until they arrive, I noticed many visit the pool and leave looking disappointed!

I fail to see how this can rate itself any more than 3 stars (3.5 at best).

Oh, almost forgot, there was no Mini Bar again more misleading advertising! Probably as the fridge kept switching itself off !! And the little UHT milks in there were OFF, literally stale , what does that say!?

But it didn't spoil our break from home and work, and I do have the attitude that you get what you pay for, and we didn't pay too much, any more though and this review would be somewhat biased! :) And I wont use the Outrigger again!

Room Tip: Ensure you get above level 5, for at least something that is classed a view. The room in this review...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Scotchy2013
Dear Scotchy2013

My apologies that your stay was less than expected and be assured there is a great deal f activity around the hotel to upgrade, refresh and improve. We are currently re-carpeting all guest corridors, as well as painting all guest floor corridors. We have painted 176 rooms and continue with 10 - 12 rooms being completed each week. I would appreciate if you would email me on Grant.James@outrigger.com.au so I can determine your room number to assess beds. We have completed approximately 90% of all rooms with new mattresses and base.

Your comment about repossessions sales, actually refers to units that were owned by mortgagees of the developer (some 4 years ago ) that are being sold (strata title building), but they are not repossessions.

The pool area is and has been undergoing an upgrade, with all pool furniture replaced, the children's pool retiled before Easter and the other two pools to be retiled from May 17th and May 4th. The tennis court has been completely upgraded (new surface, fencing and lighting) and more work around the pool area is underway.

I apologise re the mini bar, but we do offer a bar in a basket and room service option, but do not provide in room mini bar due to the type of liquor license we hold.

We cater to Asian clients, but also 70% of our guest are Australian and New Zealanders and we are focussed on providing great service (appreciate your comments on our team members), but are also focussed on upgrading the hotel in conjunction with the body corporate

I hope you will stay with us again to see these changes and also look forward to your email so I can assess the beds

Feedback such as yours is invaluable in making changes and also reviewing current operations.

Kind regards and many thanks