“Not bad”

Ranked #12 of 32 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Singapore, Singapore
“Not bad”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

For its price, Outrigger is a very good hotel. I stayed during the cyclone in March so I spent most of my time indoors. Check in was slow though and one of the receptionist gave us the keys to the wrong room on the 9th floor but she chased us up before we got in the room and apologized profusely, poor girl. Tried to order room service but it was unavailable so had to walk in the cyclone, which was an experience in itself, to get something to eat. My room was on the 21st floor so had amazing views of the rough ocean, which was lovely.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
ASPGM, General Manager at Mantra on View Hotel, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Dear smokeofsampoi.

Many thanks for your feedback on your stay back in March. The weather during parts of 2013 hasn't been great, but in same ways this has also helped us in being able to upgrade areas of the hotel in association with weather effects.

The fully renovated tennis court and pool, pergolas, along with the shade awanings on Level 2 & 4 have all been addressed with consideration for severe weather and guest comfort. The views from the majority of guest room balconies is great over the ocean and Surfers Paradise.

we look forward to your future visits and hopefully with much better weather conditions.

Kind regards and thanks

Regional General Manager Australia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

I stayed at the Outrigger for a conference for 5 nights. The rooms were clean and pleasant enough but the rest of the place was very tired looking. A big banner by the ground floor elevator announced Spa service at the Serenity Spa, when you make your way there you find out that the whole place has been gutted.
To get to the pool area you squeeze literally past construction fences. The pool is big but its run down surrounds do not invite to stay.
Staff are friendly but seem to have to work with outdated systems which makes any interaction with reception painfully slow. There is no internet or WiFi connection in the rooms and staff recommend to go to an internet cafe near-by.
What astonished me was to find a Tripadvisor Excellence award 2013 presented at the front desk.

Room Tip: Do not go unless the hotel has been renovated
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
ASPGM, General Manager at Mantra on View Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear RedW.

My apologies that your stay was not as expected, but be assured the works being undertaken are in the final stages of completion. The tennis court, resurface and fencing is complete, officially opened today for guest use and the temporary fencing has been removed. This fencing was legally required due to the removal of the main tennis court fencing.

The day spa hasn't been "gutted" but we have completed a renovation with new air-conditioning system, all ceilings replaced and all new shade sails on the day spa balconies.

By October 18th we will have all pool pergolas with new shade covers (11 pergolas) and should have our pool bar renovations completed. All guest rooms have both hard wired and Wi-Fi internet as do the lobbies, 2nd and 4th floor conference rooms.

I sincerely hope you come back to stay with us again and see the improvements and please also accept my thanks for your feedback.

Kind regards,

Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

Decent hotel but find the rooms a bit outdated and older. They are clean however
And staff are nice and friendly. Location is 5 mins away the beach and lots of
Food choices in the area.

If it were me i would select a newer renovated room.

Room Tip: Choose a room fronting the beach.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
ASPGM, General Manager at Mantra on View Hotel, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Carlo12377ph

Sincere thanks for your comments and rating on your recent stay with us. I can advise that we are currently painting guest floor corridors and rooms, sheer curtains will be replaced in October to 50% of rooms and the balance in late January and early February 2014.

By Friday this week our tennis court will be fully renovated with new surface, lights and fencing and by mid October all pool pergolas will be recovered.

Our location is a real plus, just 500 meters to the beach and one block to the entertainment center of Surfers Paradise.

We look forward to your future stays with us.

Kind regards and many thanks for the feedback,

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

This is a great spot to stay, so close to everything. The rooms I found were so run down, they really need a paint job or something.. Also I had sand in my bed which is gross, I wonder if they even changed the sheets. The staff on front desk were lovely, the pool area is also nice :)

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank KateAce
ASPGM, General Manager at Mantra on View Hotel, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear KateAce,

Please accept my thanks for taking the time to provide your rating and comments in your recent stay. I can assure you all rooms are fully serviced, linen changed and all amenities replaced between all guests. I will work with both our housekeeping and laundry provider to assess and address all linen.

I am also pleased to advise that we are presently undertaking the following upgrades:
* Corridor painting with 8 completed and one per month until completed
* Guest room painting being undertaken at present
* October we start the replacement of all sheer curtains in guest rooms
* Friday 27th September the tennis court will be fully complete with new surface, fencing and night lights
* October 10th all pool pergolas will have new shade sails and new lighting

We appreciate we have an older property, but in concert with the body corporate many projects have been completed over our 20 months of operation and many underway. I am thrilled the staff were lovely as this will also contribute to a great stay

We look forward to your future stays so you can see the upgrades we undertake and also the correction of issues you faced.

kind regards and many thanks

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

I had a two day conference in the Gold Coast and booked this hotel online the night before. Upon arrival at 12:30pm, I was told my room would be ready by 2pm - having filled out all the paperwork and provided them with my credit card. I was asked to wait in the lobby until my room was clean. The person checking me in took my mobile phone number so that he would give me a call "as soon as my room was ready". I sat waiting in the lobby for over an hour and by 2pm the queue was massive. I decided not to join the queue as I assumed they would honour their promise. By 2:30pm, I joined the line for 25 minutes to speak to someone, only to be told my room was still unavailable. The only room they had available at the time was a King Bed even though I booked a twin after the manager was spoken to. Because I have had enough already, I agreed to the King Bed room.
The person standing next to me at check-in had the same issue and was upgraded to an ocean view room on a higher floor. I'm not sure if this is a daily occurrence, but I have never ever seen a hotel so disorganised at check-in over my many years of travel. The wait is horrendously long to reach the front desk and promises are not kept. The hotel is severely understaffed.

By 3pm, I had my room keys in hand and proceeded to get my luggage. No one at the concierge desk. 10 minutes later, a lady arrives at the desk and decides to take phone calls while I was standing right there. I eventually asked her for my bag, and she said some other member of staff had the keys who was parking cars. Trying really hard not to snap at this point, I asked her kindly to bring my bag up as soon as possible. 40 minutes later, I get a phone call in my room asking me to come down and collect my bag.

Check-in at 2pm, and by 3:45pm I had access to room and luggage. I don't think this is reasonable at all.

The room was otherwise clean and tidy, nice views from balcony. One note is room service closes at 9:45pm.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Fahad B
Dear FahadB,

Please accept my sincerest apologies for the wait, but more importantly that my team did not call you when the room was ready. I will speak to our front office manager (Mike) today and ensure his rostering is based on occcupancy and guest service.

At times I appreciate concierge not being at the desk as they deliver luggage, valet park and undertake other roles, but I do not accept them coming back to the desk and not assisting you.

I sincerely hope you will come back to see we have addressed the issues you face.

Many thanks for the feebcak but apologies re the check in process

Sincerely

Gold Coast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

What a surprise!!! had a magic stay enjoyed the clean room and a skyline view from the bathtub, a little bit more space then the standard gold coast hotels, and the view was one of the best, Ocean, city, and Mt Warning.... the price was fantastic and even able to get a bottle of wine at 2am in the morning well done . Our stay was that good we went back the follow week.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear saaschaK,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review on your recent stay and I am thrilled you had such a great stay. I will relay your feedback to our teams.

It is also pleasing that you enjoyed it so much you came back the next week and we look forward to your future visits,

Many thanks and kind regards

Palmerston North, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

We stayed on the Gold Coast for a week and outrigger was perfectly located. Walking distance to downtown surfers, 30 second walk to the ocean. Great view of the ocean from our city view room. Room was clean and modern. Staff were very friendly. No complaints at all. Highly recommended. Also price was cheap but the hotel was far from being cheap looking. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Mike P
ASPGM, General Manager at Mantra on View Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear MikeP,

Sincere thanks for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay and I appreciate the comments about our team. The team is committed to providing friendly and helpful service.

Our reviews are provided to the teams via their department management and I know the Executive Housekeeper will be very pleased to relay to his team. Housekeeping and maintenance are working through rooms at present to review all facets of the rooms and cleanliness is certainly one of the highest priorities.

We enjoy one of the best locations in Surfers Paradise, just one block from the beach and the center of Surfers Paradise and once the light rail is completed our guests will be able to utlise the service to both Pacific Fair and Broadbeach or North to Australia Fair, Broadwater Park and to the new Gold Coast hospital and Griffith university.

We look forward to your future stays with us and see the other changes to the hotel - tennis court resurfacing, new fence and lighting by September 14th and the new pool pergola covers and also the corridor and room painting.

Again, sincere thanks.