“Horrible ocean views”

Mantra on View Hotel
Ranked #11 of 31 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Crap

Ocean views of the streets

Reception staff were useless
Forced us as a couple into a room with 2 single beds

Car parks are horrible and Jan the adjacent building.

Terrible wouldn't go there ever again

• Stayed: March 2013
OutriggerSPGM, General Manager at Mantra on View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Dear Reviewwhenneedto

My sincere apologies that the views weren't up to expectations, but I must ask did you actually stay at Outrigger Surfers Paradise or another property as NONE of our rooms 411 rooms have 2 single beds. All rooms have either a king bed or 2 double beds and no rooms have any configuration including single beds

I can be contacted via email at Grant.James@outrigger.com.au to discuss further but I assure you and all guests no rooms have single beds

King regards

Regional General Manager Australia

Write a ReviewReviews (3,054)

Reviewed February 27, 2013

Hotel is beautiful and newly renovated. Just walking into the lobby you feel like you are on a vacation. Hotel staff were so friendly. My room had a nice layout and is fresh and clean. Me and my friend were able to get a hotel room with two double beds so there was plenty of room for us. The pool is big with heaps of deck chairs and manages to keep in the sun for most of the day which is great (i find many hotels in surfers paradise block the sun as they are so tall). So close to caville avenue (the Main Street of shops, restaurants and bars) without being on caville (which is quite noisy). The beach is only at the end of the street. Check out was very easy

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
OutriggerSPGM, General Manager at Mantra on View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Dear Lakeman77,

I am thrilled you had a great stay with us and your comments re location not only reflect many of our guests thoughts but great accuracy. One block from the beach and the entertainment precinct (Cavill Mall) but without being on top of it and the noise.

Our team will be very happy to receive the feedback about their friendliness and this will be relayed to them.

We look forward to your future visits and many thanks for the positive feedback,

Kind regards

Reviewed February 25, 2013

The hotel, location, room, facilities, etc was all perfect for a weekend away with my wife. Would have given this review 4 stars, but then when I checked out I encountered poor customer service and attitude when I questioned an item on the bill.

There was a charge for 24 hours internet access which I did not request. It so happened that the staff member I was dealing with was the manager (that's who he said he was). He said I called from my room on the evening that I checked in and requested internet access. My wife and I did not make this call, but he insisted that he clearly remembered speaking to me on the phone and I requested access to the internet.

I asked for the time this call occurred and he said it was 7.52pm. I explained I was at dinner on the esplanade at the time, how could I make this call from the room? I said maybe someone else made the call and gave the wrong room number or a mistake on the system was made. It was at this point he said he was the manager and doesn't make mistakes, and its not physically possible to put a charge to my room if the call didn't come from my room. Whatever response he gave me, I know for a fact I didn't make the call, and there are no other male's staying in my room to make this call, so from my point of view the error is on the hotel.

He did remove the charge and "apologized" for the incident, but he continued to insist that he remembers speaking to me specifically on the phone and requesting internet. He did this whilst being smug and giving me attitude, basically calling me a liar. I felt insulted so I continued to explain I did not make the call, and he continued to give me attitude and saying that he's removed the charge and he's "apologized" so what more do I want? I didn't want anything, I just didn't want to feel insulted and accused of doing something I clearly know I didn't do. I don't care that he removed the $25 charge, I just didn't want to be made felt ridiculed. And what good is an apology if he's still calling me a liar?

I understand mistakes can happen, and if he just said "I've removed the charge, sorry for the mix up" without attitude and with sincerity, then I wouldn't have been bothered. I've worked in customer service previously, and this was very poor customer service.

I even came back a few minutes later (after I checked out), showed him a receipt from the restaurant I was at that evening (which was timestamped about 20 mins after the phone call supposedly took place) and said how can I make the call from my room requesting internet, go down to the esplanade to a restaurant, order a meal, wait for the meal to be served, eat the meal, pay for it...all within 20 minutes? He continued with his attitude saying he specifically remembered speaking to me, so I left.

Would I recommend this hotel to my friends? I would have if this incident didn't happen. But how can I recommend this place now, knowing that 1) mistakes like this can happen, and more importantly 2) they don't acknowledge that the error is on them, instead making you feel ridiculed and insulted!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nick N

Dear NickN,

Please accept my sincerest apologies for the treatment you received in regards to yoiur check out an the internet cost and I am really disappointed this affected your stay. I have spoken to our front office manager (Mike) and he will be addressing today.

I really hope you will come back and stay with us again as your initial comments were a perfect weekend until this happened, and we want you to see that the perfect weekend is our aim.

Again, apologies for the probelm you had but be assured it is being addressed

Kind regards,

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed for three nights as part of a package and loved it. Room was modern and spotless. Beautiful views. The staff throughout the hotel are super friendly, and Damian at the desk was really obliging with everything we needed and really helpful. Definitely recommended

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Brittspeck
OutriggerSPGM, General Manager at Mantra on View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Dear Brittspeck

I sincerely appreciate the feedback you have provided and will definitely be passing on your comments to Damian and the team and I know they will be appreciative.

I am thrilled you had a great time and we look forward to future visits.

Best wishes and thanks

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed at the Outrigger this past weekend for two nights. Overall the experience was great.

Things I liked:
- there was a queue to book in when I arrived. When I got to the desk, the gentleman who helped me (I think his name was Ramon??) apologised for the delay even though it was only about five minutes. To make up for the fact I had to wait, he offered complimentary parking, usually $8 a night. A small thing, but left me with a good impression of the hotel first up.
- the room was perfect, clean (which I find very important) and had a lovely view.
- complimentary newspapers
- express check out, a great idea.
- comfy bed.

Things I didn't like so much:
- I arrived on Friday afternoon, obviously during peak hour. The traffic was horrendous, due in part to the road closures with the light rail being built. It would have been nice to be pre-warned about this, especially which way I needed to go where the road split (there is a temporary detour in place).
- Saturday night, my neighbours came back to the hotel around midnight and must have wanted to carry on their drinking, singing, loud talking etc in their hotel room. Although I signed something on check-in to acknowledge the hotel had a "no party policy" these people either did not know this or chose to ignore it. After about half an hour of being totally disturbed I rang reception who sent someone up to sort it out. But at that stage, my nights sleep had been ruined. Because of this, even though it was no fault of the hotel, I can only give a 4 star rating.

However, overall, I enjoyed my stay. Would I come back? Yes, I would.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Basil43,

Please accept my thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback. I will certainly pass on your comment to Roman who is one of our great managers. The traffic at present and until 14th March when they re-open the Elkhorn Ave intersection is a real issue and due to the light rail project. One benefit is when you get here that you can park the car and walk to the majority of Surfers Paradise activities. The middays aren’t so bad, it is peak times of an afternoon.

I apologise for the issues you faced with your neighbors, but please when you stay with us again any issue such as this contact the front desk immediately and they will address. Our guests comfort, security and safety is paramount and we deal with these matters quickly.

Again many thanks for taking the time to provide the feedback and we look forward to your future stays.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

Over the years have often taken a 1-2 night break at Surfers Paradise in the former Holiday Inn now Outrigger. Decided to take a one night trip for Hubby's birthday. Did not realise that the roadworks for the light rail now cause congestion right up to the Outrigger Hotel. Finally made it there and as usual the parking is complimentary which is great. When checking in we were given two discount tickets for the evening meal. This has always been our draw card, the Seafood buffet. I have to say though we were disappointed in the selections (although they were fresh and tasty) it was certainly a scaled down version to the last time we were there. The hot dishes were okay but again not the selections as before. Even the desserts were nothing out of the ordinary. We had booked the buffet breakfast and again a reasonable selection but it was obvious to us that the amount of people had dropped off. Plenty of Chinese tourists but nothing like we had experienced in previous times. The rooms however are always good and neat and clean. It was $175 for 1 night with breakfast but we think we will try something new next time or go somewhere else for a Seafood Buffet.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Marlyanne

Dear MarlyAnne,

Many thanks for providing feedback on your recent stay and be assured the comments on the seafood will be discussed with the Executive Chef (Ollie) and team this afternoon. Ollie will be disappointed as his focus is on fresh local produce and as such I know he will address with his team.

We look forward to a future stay so you can see we have addressed.
Kind regards an sincere thanks for your honest feedback

Reviewed February 20, 2013

Recently stayed for 2 nights midweek having never been to the Gold Coast before. We booked a twin High ocean View Room & got exactly what we asked for. Room was large enough for the 2 queen beds (which were super comfortable), & usual hotel amenities, good sized bathroom too. Balcony was very small which was a little disconcerting at 20 floors up so not recommended for those with small children. Katie on reception was very helpful.
The Outrigger is a large & therefore generic hotel. Quiet on our floor which was great. We were told it was $8 per day to use the hotel car park but were just waved through with our room key.
If you want to stay around Surfers & party then this is an ideal hotel as its 5 mins walk away from the main strip & so much quieter.
There is a Woolworth's 2 minute walk away so give all the overpriced 7-11s a miss unless you arrive late at night.
We didn't eat here due to previous poor reviews but did eat on the main street which wasnt fabulous. For breakfast we wandered around near the 'Woolworths precinct' & found a great place on the corner, food was outstanding.
Internet was extortionate at $25 approx per day & something like $11 for an hour.
This hotel is perfect as a base for the Gold Coast with or without a car.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Dear vmo m

Many thanks for taking the time to provide feedback which is not only appreciated but used with our team to acknowledge good performance and address issues that require such. I will be sure to pass on your comments to Katie (Guest Services Manager) as I know she will be appreciative.

The location of the property as you mention is really one of, if not the best in Surfers, 1 block from the beach and the entertainment precinct. I wish you had eaten with us and hope that any future stays you will try Deja View Restaurant as the Exec Chef – Ollie and restaurant team are committed to freh local produce with great service.

I will discuss with our internet provider rates as we did implement a 2 day rate but will see if we can reduce.

Again many thanks for the comments and your final one “perfect for a base” is a great description.

Kind regards