“"Frayed around the edges.... but does all the important bits..."”

Mantra on View Hotel
Ranked #11 of 32 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Auckland
“"Frayed around the edges.... but does all the important bits..."”
Reviewed March 25, 2012

Like many of the other reviewers, I stayed at this hotel previously when it was under the management of the Holiday Inn. And like many reviewers, I can confirm their concerns about the property. To the reviewer with the photos of the rusty outdoor furniture, I can confirm you are not exaggerating. Our room was on the 5th level, and we too came across the rusty neglected outdoor table which had seen better days. A scrub with some steel wool and a re-varnish wouldn't go astray.
As for the bathroom, well, I've seen gardens that have been a lot less botanical that what I saw hiding around the edges of the sink and the bathtub. Just don't look too closely, it might eat you. I hope they've been charging whatever it is around the sink and bathtub rent, because it looks like it's been there awhile...
To add to the garden feel of the room, the room did have a wide and varied range of insect life, however NO cockroaches... I suspect the mould ate them. Guests on safari may spot the odd ant and a few moths. We had the balcony door closed.
We didn't have a problem with the beds, they were absolutely fine.
As for the pool area, yes the Pool bar was still closed. It didn't bother us, however installing a phone to call room service from the pool area probably would be a good idea, as I suspect you are losing potential business from hungry pool goers. The pool area is lacking something as the appeal definitively wasn't there. We went to eat lunch pool side with the intention of swimming there after swimming at the beach, however never did as it didn't look that inviting. I think a revamp in the future of the pool area might be in order.
Around the hotel, we did notice the same 'frayed' edges. Our room overlooked the frontage of the hotel, it was interesting to note the roof areas of the lobby under some disrepair, as the same with bits around the pool area. It's nothing that's obvious when you first look at it, but only when you literally look around the edges, you'll see the paint flaking off, and the mould around the corners... This is itself doesn't really bother me, but it did get me thinking that maybe this was a symptom of the Holiday Inn group (IHG) selling the property after doing the sums for a major revamp, in which the Outrigger group have now been lumped with this tired hotel which is in need of some TLC.
Depending on what you pay for a room, this place can be a great deal, to a full rip off. After what I saw, I was happy to pay the rate we got, which was around $120 AUD. I'd feel ripped off if I had to pay the full $399 AUD rack rate. The most I would be prepared to fork out would be around $170 AUD for the room we stayed in during peak. Sure normally rates would be around $200-350 AUD around peak, but with that you are getting better pool areas, rooms which aren't as tired but new and bigger. From memory, we got a good deal at the Crowne Plaza around peak time for around $180 AUD a night which is in much better repair.
If you can overlook these things, which we could, the hotel does do "all the important bits". There's room service, and from the prices I saw on the menu, not bad. The most expensive thing on the menu was a $18 Beef burger, which I have to say we did not try. At $5 AUD tray charge, that's not too bad when factored with the lower room service prices.
The other important bit is LOCATION, LOCATION and LOCATION. This hotel is very centrally located in Surfer's Paradise. It is less than 2 minutes walking to the beach and 30 seconds to the centre of town. Parking at the hotel is a reasonable deal too at $8 AUD per day, unlimited entries and exits...
The staff I found were excellent. Check in was quick and painless. Check out was could have been a disaster, when I stupidly checked out at 10 am along with the rest of Surfer's Paradise and half of Asia. One of the spare front of house staff queue combed and ensured that people didn't have to wait in the queue if they really didn't have to, i.e people trying to re-cut keys etc. This queue was mean, it went from front desk back to the elevators, however I was waiting less than 10 minutes and it took less than 5 minutes to pay the bill and check out. I have to say that was impressive as when I first saw the queue, I started having bad flashbacks of DisneyWorld on the 4th of July.....(never again...)
I have to commend the staff on such speedy service. I just hope management can come to the party and give their staff the hotel and facilities that their staff deserve.

Room Tip: Bring bleach... and a spray bottle...
2 Thank METAR
freedom1james, General Manager at Mantra on View Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2012
Dear METAR

I sincerely appreciate your comments and feedback as I and the team do with all forms of feedback. I also agree with your comments on the balcony table, but also believe it is important to note this furniture has been in the property for some 5 or so years, not just since we commenced operation and the scrubbing and varnishing does not work. The new tables to be installed over the coming months,are 340 stainless and a compound top that will not rust and discolor.
We are just finalised a full pest treatment of the hotel with a new contractor and I am confident this company will provide a service that also addresses the “infamous” fly in cockroaches on the Gold Coast.
Your following comments” . This is itself doesn't really bother me, but it did get me thinking that maybe this was a symptom of the Holiday Inn group (IHG) selling the property after doing the sums for a major revamp, in which the Outrigger group have now been lumped with this tired hotel which is in need of some TLC. The property was actually operated by Holiday Inn for receivers and we purchased the management rights and will be working with the Body Corporate to look at ongoing improvements.
Your comments on our Food & Beverage operation are appreciated and we are very focused on providing great options using fresh local produce and hopefully during your next stay, you can sample our restaurant or room service.
I will pass on your congrats to all staff as they will be appreciative of your comments on what can be very busy check outs and be assured we are working on doing all possible to come to the party of improving the hotel for guests and employees alike and I am confident this will be achieved with the support of our Body Corporate and owners..
Many thanks

Grant

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 24, 2012

We bought a voucher for three nights from Cudo then read the trip adviser reviews, they seem to have their act together now, everything ran smoothly since the recent take over by the Outriggers.
We arrived earlier than expected and had no problem getting a room straight away. We had a great view of the city centre on the 14 floor. Location is great, as it is in the heart of Surfers Paradise. The Hotel is a short walk to the beach and has a great sized pool, spa & gym in the complex.
Good sized room and great view from balcony, but must say beds - twin king was firm / hard for me, needs a mattress topper. The place is showing its age - bath rooms, but general appearance in most areas looking neat. It would be interesting to see the place again in 6- 12 months.
Buffet dinner in the hotel restaurant was great with a good choice of sea food. The buffet breakfast in the restaurant also had a great choice.
I would go back to this Hotel if I went to Surfers.

Room Tip: Rooms on the Upper floors on the South side have great views of the city skyline
2 Thank skiclubtraveller
freedom1james, Manager at Mantra on View Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2012
Dear Skiclubtraveller,

I was happy to read your review and your comments, especially they have their act together. The transition of an existing property to a new operator is not always seamless, but I am proud of our team and the way we are moving forward. The balcony tables that have been there for a few years will be replaced over the coming two months, all rooms that hadn’t had the bed replacement done under the former operator should be completed by June 2012 and we are currently working with an interior decorator on new room and corridor colour schemes.
We are very proud of the seafood buffet with prawns straight from the Gold Coast Prawn trawlers and locally sourced produce now contributing to the buffets and our new Ala Carte dinner and breakfast.

I will certainly look forward to you coming back in 6 months or so to see the changes.

Kind regards and best wishes.

Grant
Reviewed March 21, 2012

Do not stay at this hotel. There is very poor service due to the lack of staff members. Could never get hold of the concierge. There is mould in the hallways. Buttons missing off the lift. When we got up to our room there were cockroaches everywhere. The light inside room was flickering. Facilitys in the hotel are very poor gym and pool. Breakfast was horrible food was terrible.
Would not stay here again!!!

• Stayed February 2012
Frances H, E-Marketing Manager at Mantra on View Hotel, responded to this review, March 22, 2012
Dear Happyholidai,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us and I am sorry we have fallen so short of your expectation. Outrigger commenced operation of the hotel on 10th January 2012 and immediately set an action plan in place to improve on a number of items within the hotel. This plan consist of, but is not limited to, an upgrade of guests lifts, which commenced on January 28th and will take approx 12 months due to the major nature of the upgrade and cleaning and painting of all guest corridors and guest rooms. We have contracted a new pest management company and all rooms are currently being treated, with particular emphasis on the ability to treat for the fly in cockroaches which is a major issue in Surfers Paradise. Please be assured that pests will not be an issue for this hotel.
I am disappointed to read your comments about breakfast as the overwhelming feedback has been very positive about the changes we have made with additional items and a focus on fresh produce and I would also appreciate additional information on your comments concerning the pool and what were the issues. I would be very happy to talk to you personally either via email Grant.James@outrigger.com.au or (07) 5579 1000 and ask for me please.

Whilst I am disappointed to hear about your experience I am pleased that Outrigger are taking steps to improve on these items as we speak. While I appreciate your comments you will not stay again, it is hoped you would reconsider to see that your comments have not only been listed to but acted on.

Kind regards, Grant James
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed March 21, 2012

Our bookings were originally made whilst this was still the Holiday Inn, and having read reviews of people having trouble on arrival, I decided to call ahead. The lady I spoke to initially couldn't see the bookings, and had trouble understanding my questions. That said, she assured me she would get someone to contact me back in the next couple of days. As promised, the phone call came and this time the bookings (for 4 rooms) had been located; I was advised there would be no issues upon check-in, and I'm happy to report that this was indeed the case. Check-in was quick, efficient, and posed no problems at all.

I had requested each of the rooms to be on the south side and as high up as possible, and Outrigger did their best to facilitate this. The rooms themselves were fantastic, modern, clean, spacious, with great views from the balcony. As this was a mini honeymoon, my wife and I booked a suite. Whilst there wasn't a fully separate bedroom, it was well segregated from the living area and bathroom, and did include a walk-in wardrobe which my wife made much use of. The rest of the hotel is equally well decked out both inside and out.

Only a couple of room requests were made during our stay - champagne on arrival, and additional coat hangers - and Outrigger came to the party with both. No issues at all.

Location is absolutely superb. It's less than 5 minutes walk to Cavil Mall and therefore you have easy access to a huge range of cafes, bars and restaurants. Despite being so close, we heard no noise whatsoever in the room, though we were on the 20th floor. The hotel is also almost right on the beach so very convenient for a swim and a surf.

That all being said, I do have a couple of minor criticisms of the hotel. Firstly, the hotel gym is sparse, and what equipment there is has seen better days. Secondly, the breakfast is very expensive, especially when the Sandbar restaurant just around the corner does amazing all you can eat breakfasts for less than half the price. I'd definitely recommend going there instead. Finally, the concierge in the hotel lobby wasn't very knowledgeable nor able to help us when we were trying to organise discount entry to Seaworld, Dreamworld and Wet and Wild. She was adamant that no discounts existed, and we would have to pay full price. I questioned whether an entertainment book gold card would get us a discount and the lady again advised no. Needless to say, having gone away and researched myself, we found out that the gold card actually does give a 15% discount. So yeah, don't rely on the concierge.

To be fair though these really are minor points, and don't stop me from rating the hotel a full 5 stars. We had an absolutely great time in Gold Coast, and a large reason for that is because of where we stayed. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as high as possible on the south side of the hotel. The view is simply fantastic.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 19, 2012

Last november my partner and I stayed at the Holiday Inn, it was fantastic and we thoroughly enjoyed our time there, so we booked another holiday for March 2012. Since then the Holiday Inn has changed to Outrigger. We didn't think the change would mean much but it obviously did. Upon our arrival the check-in time was a joke. Waiting in line with only 1-2 staff taking care of check-ins. When we got to our room we noticed the bed was completely different to the last one we stayed in. It was extremely uncomfortable and hard. You could hear the springs move and pop as you moved on the bed. As for the service, we left our room early every morning and came back late afternoon and our room was still not made up. In our time there, we had to call for our room to be serviced and for supplies like toilet paper and towels to be brought to our room, almost every day! Also if you're planning to have a few drinks at the pool bar - don't get your hopes up. It's always closed. Not even sure why it's there in the first place, it wasn't open the last time we stayed there either. Stop advertising it if it's not going to be open!! I can easily say that unless the Outrigger significantly ups their game then we will not be staying there again.

Dear Cecilia A,

Thank you for reviewing our property, your comments are most welcome. I am sorry to hear that we have fallen short in some areas of your stay. Please be assured I will be speaking with my management team about your comments regarding check in time and housekeeping services to ensure we improve on these items. I would appreciate you making direct contact with me via email Grant.James@outrigger.com.au so I am able to obtain additional information, such as room number to be able to discuss with our housekeeping the late room servicing. I am pleased to say that we are currently in the process of replacing the beds in the 250 rooms that Holiday Inn had not completed, once completed all rooms will have the upgraded beds you experienced in your first stay. In regards to the pool bar, I cannot comment on the previous operation under Holiday Inn, but Outrigger will operate the pool each day from December 26th to January 9th, then each weekend subject to weather up to Easter and then we will reopen weekends from October the Christmas, again subject to good weather. Considering the weather over the past 8 weeks or so, we have not operated the pool bar on days that have had poor weather.

Kind regards, Grant James
auckland
Reviewed March 17, 2012

We were a group of 3 friends and wanted to stay close to the beach and nightlife without a hefty price tag and this hotel met that criteria to a tee. The hotel is literally like a 2 min walk away from Surfers beach (whilst it is not located right on the main boulevard, u still have amazing views of the sea and city lights from ur balcony) we stayed in a city view room which had a nice little balcony and 2 double beds. The complimentary pillow menu was like icing on the cake. The bathrooms were clean and spacious. The pools are great too however we wished the bar over there was open as the bar staff was off sick or something and no one else was available to serve drinks at the bar..strange ! The concierge was helpful in getting us complimentary VIP passes to some of the nightclubs. We would definitely cone back here.

Room Tip: Call the concierge and ask for the VIP passes to the clubs Ask for xtra towels as they only gave us...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank sagu
Byron Bay, Australia
Reviewed March 15, 2012

Myself and my boyfriend stayed at the Outrigger in one of the twin city rooms for one night.This hotel is really lovely for the price,beds were comfortable,extra towels for the swimming pool and a yummy buffet breakfast which we were given a discount voucher for when we arrived,I saw someone mention that twenty dollars is expensive for breakfast but i have been places where its fifteen dollars for big breakfast so i actually thought this was good value especially with a partner with a big appetite..Although it was overcast we ventured to the pool area which i think if the sun was out would be hard to leave and the spa was really lovely.Staff were really sweet and welcoming.I personally think for the price we paid this hotel is good value and really nice.