Like many of the other reviewers, I stayed at this hotel previously when it was under the management of the Holiday Inn. And like many reviewers, I can confirm their concerns about the property. To the reviewer with the photos of the rusty outdoor furniture, I can confirm you are not exaggerating. Our room was on the 5th level, and we too came across the rusty neglected outdoor table which had seen better days. A scrub with some steel wool and a re-varnish wouldn't go astray.
As for the bathroom, well, I've seen gardens that have been a lot less botanical that what I saw hiding around the edges of the sink and the bathtub. Just don't look too closely, it might eat you. I hope they've been charging whatever it is around the sink and bathtub rent, because it looks like it's been there awhile...
To add to the garden feel of the room, the room did have a wide and varied range of insect life, however NO cockroaches... I suspect the mould ate them. Guests on safari may spot the odd ant and a few moths. We had the balcony door closed.
We didn't have a problem with the beds, they were absolutely fine.
As for the pool area, yes the Pool bar was still closed. It didn't bother us, however installing a phone to call room service from the pool area probably would be a good idea, as I suspect you are losing potential business from hungry pool goers. The pool area is lacking something as the appeal definitively wasn't there. We went to eat lunch pool side with the intention of swimming there after swimming at the beach, however never did as it didn't look that inviting. I think a revamp in the future of the pool area might be in order.
Around the hotel, we did notice the same 'frayed' edges. Our room overlooked the frontage of the hotel, it was interesting to note the roof areas of the lobby under some disrepair, as the same with bits around the pool area. It's nothing that's obvious when you first look at it, but only when you literally look around the edges, you'll see the paint flaking off, and the mould around the corners... This is itself doesn't really bother me, but it did get me thinking that maybe this was a symptom of the Holiday Inn group (IHG) selling the property after doing the sums for a major revamp, in which the Outrigger group have now been lumped with this tired hotel which is in need of some TLC.
Depending on what you pay for a room, this place can be a great deal, to a full rip off. After what I saw, I was happy to pay the rate we got, which was around $120 AUD. I'd feel ripped off if I had to pay the full $399 AUD rack rate. The most I would be prepared to fork out would be around $170 AUD for the room we stayed in during peak. Sure normally rates would be around $200-350 AUD around peak, but with that you are getting better pool areas, rooms which aren't as tired but new and bigger. From memory, we got a good deal at the Crowne Plaza around peak time for around $180 AUD a night which is in much better repair.
If you can overlook these things, which we could, the hotel does do "all the important bits". There's room service, and from the prices I saw on the menu, not bad. The most expensive thing on the menu was a $18 Beef burger, which I have to say we did not try. At $5 AUD tray charge, that's not too bad when factored with the lower room service prices.
The other important bit is LOCATION, LOCATION and LOCATION. This hotel is very centrally located in Surfer's Paradise. It is less than 2 minutes walking to the beach and 30 seconds to the centre of town. Parking at the hotel is a reasonable deal too at $8 AUD per day, unlimited entries and exits...
The staff I found were excellent. Check in was quick and painless. Check out was could have been a disaster, when I stupidly checked out at 10 am along with the rest of Surfer's Paradise and half of Asia. One of the spare front of house staff queue combed and ensured that people didn't have to wait in the queue if they really didn't have to, i.e people trying to re-cut keys etc. This queue was mean, it went from front desk back to the elevators, however I was waiting less than 10 minutes and it took less than 5 minutes to pay the bill and check out. I have to say that was impressive as when I first saw the queue, I started having bad flashbacks of DisneyWorld on the 4th of July.....(never again...)
I have to commend the staff on such speedy service. I just hope management can come to the party and give their staff the hotel and facilities that their staff deserve.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ideally located in View Avenue, just up from the Esplanade, Mantra on View Hotel is a great choice in Surfers Paradise accommodation for pleasure seekers, corporate travellers, and events such as wedding and banquets. The modern and stylish decor gives a feeling of spaciousness throughout and you can choose from a variety of accommodation styles from the City View Twin Suite right through to the Ocean View Spa suite. All have private balconies, wonderful Gold Coast views, high speed internet, cable TV and super-comfy beds. Outside your suite you'll find great amenities like the resort-style pool and children's pool. The fully equipped gymnasium, tennis courts and an excellent restaurant on site - NOSH Pan Asian offers a daily buffet breakfast with traditional favourites including cereals, pastries, tropical fresh fruits and hot meals prepared in our open kitchen, it's the a la carte lunch and dinner menu where NOSH Pan Asian gets decidedly exotic. Featuring authentically prepared specialties from a variety of regions across Asia, it's a serious spread of diverse offerings. There are a great many exciting things to do on the Gold Coast and you are very close to a great choice of these. There's excellent shopping to be had, theme parks, long stretches of sandy Gold Coast beaches and an excellent variety of restaurants and bars. If you really feel like spoiling yourself visit the Ocean Day Spa and Hair Salon where pampering is the order of the day with a range of soothing massages and treatments. Mantra on View Hotel is a very popular choice for business with nine conference rooms in all, catering for small meetings through to large banquets or perhaps a seminar for up to 600 delegates. Planning a Gold Coast wedding? Mantra on View Hotel is one of the best wedding venues on the Gold Coast. The wedding team can help you choose from one of the beautiful celebration venues and for the ceremony itself there is also a number of romantic choices from beach to poolside. Preparing for your big day is also no hassle at Mantra on View Hotel, with the Ocean Day Spa and Hair Salon there to take care of everything. Maintenance notice: The Mantra on View pool will undergo a refurbishment and repairs from 5 June until 21 June 2017 and then a further 2 weeks of decking work. The pool will be closed during this time. Works will happen Monday to Friday approximately 7am to 3pm. Mantra on View exterior building painting will begin June 5 2017 and will take approximately two months depending on weather. Works include new repaint to the exterior from level 22 down to Porte Chochere including a refurbishment of balcony railings. Works will happen Monday to Friday approximately 7am to 3pm. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Hotwire, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Mantra on View Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Outrigger Surfers Paradise Hotel Surfers Paradise
- Holiday Inn Surfers Paradise
- Surfers Paradise Holiday Inn
- Mantra On View Hotel Gold Coast/Surfers Paradise