“Used to be better”

Ranked #11 of 31 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Sydney, Australia
“Used to be better”
Reviewed January 29, 2012

This is my third time staying at the former Holiday Inn now Outrigger. This time unfortunately was the worst and I will unlikely return as a result. This hotel is still good just not as good as before and a lot of this was due to transitional pains which they have clearly not mitigated sufficiently. So the highlights of issues are

1) check in: when I booked it was still holiday inn and upon check in was told that I may need to pay more than my agreed rate. This was ridiculous and the service reps command of English was very poor. Compounding this was the supervisor Bobby who stood there and watched the whole drama a metre away without intervening. Mate, I really do think when your staff is struggling and your guests facing a ridiculous situation you should step in. So a few hours into check in, front desk sends a note up go tell me it's all fine. Nice touch except the note written by the same service rep had such poor grammar it was unprofessional.

2) no one knows where Outrigger is: so our return shuttle to the airport was sent to the wrong Outrigger because service operators were seemingly less than aware that it is no longer holiday inn. Neither did the taxi driver know in the one we took. No doubt Outrigger has informed service providers but perhaps more could be done? We were literally 5min from missing our plane we were meant to have a hour to spare. Whilst this is no doubt the shuttle operators fault but the consistency in the lack of awareness on what or where Outrigger is a concern

3) wear and turn - they say a hotel goes through a refurb cycle very 7 years in general. This certainly needs to stand true here. They are about 5 years since last refurb and the quality of the rooms have gone down with every year I stayed. Nonetheless there are worse out there but you do brand yourself as a 4.5 star.

4) 10am check out sucks. Was 11am under holiday inn. Dont your clients don't notice. Standard policy or not it sucks. These small things do weigh on considerations. Judging by the number of business closures and economic climate at surfers paradise, now is the time to listen to your customers.

Overall was better when I stayed in 09 and 10 hence why I returned a third time. But I am now of the belief that there is better out there though in saying so there is certainly lot worse too.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank CJ313
Frances H, General Manager at Mantra on View Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2012
Dear CJ313, Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am extremely disappointed that your stay was not as good as your past stays and please be assured what you experienced is neither the normal standard for Outrigger Hotels nor acceptable to me.
I will personally sit down with our Rooms Division Manager and Bobby who only recently started with us and explain both our expectations and guest expectations. I will also review your comments with all Department Heads to ensure we address the issues and modify our operation. In regards to check out time, in the majority of cases, dependent on occupancy, we will extend complimentary check out to 11.30am.
I sincerely appreciate your comments on the lack of knowledge of transport companies and this morning have formally communicated to Gold Coast Cabs, ConXion Coaches, United limousines and Gold Coast Shuttle buses of the change of hotel name.
I am hopeful you will come back and stay with us again, and be able to experience the hotel and see the changes we have implemented in conjunction with your feedback. Repeat guest feedback such as yours is critical to our operation and meeting our guest needs.
Thank you again for your comments, they are greatly appreciated and will communicated to our team and used to better our service standards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed January 29, 2012

Have stayed here when it was still the holiday inn,and enjoyed it thoroughly so we booked it again. Happened to be during the first week of the name change -we were not informed of this.
The check in process was long and painful for what is normally a quick process for a prepaid deal. The lady was confused and did not ask for help despite three others standing idle at reception.
Secondly, the room smelt and housekeeping did not bother changing the sheets once during our three night stay. Nor was the bed made well.
I wouldn't stay here again.
Outriggers failed to provide an enjoyable experience and did poorly to transition the new name.

• Stayed January 2012
Dear CJpurple
Firstly, my thanks for taking the time to complete your review, as feedback such as yours gives us the chance to review our operation and improve.
My name is Grant James and I am the General Manager of Outrigger Surfers Paradise and be assured I will address each of the areas you have identified. I apologise for the problems you encountered, and also that you were not informed of the change when you made your booking. To my understanding all guests were being informed either at time of booking or via written communication from Holiday Inn.
The transition involved many changes, including a new computer system and while this should not be an excuse for delay has impacted on the staff. I will personally talk to our front desk team and ensure they are all comfortable with the new system and also that they support each other.
I sincerely hope you will stay with us again to assess the changes in our service standards from transition and see that we do provide an enjoyable experience.
Please feel free to contact me directly on Grant.James@outrigger.com.au for further feedback or for your next booking and again, sincere thanks for providing feedback.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed January 28, 2012

The hotel has changed names from the holiday inn to the outrigger and the standard has dropped so far I am angered.

We stayed here about every 2-3 weeks over the last year and will NEVER stay here again.

1st room had no working air-conditioning, 2nd room the tv didn't work for 2 days. Room service did not supply clean towels but took ours away. Did not restock tea and coffee, did not replace the soap etc... Checkout after 10am in $20 per hour even though no one is checking in. Staff are rude.

Stay somewhere else.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tom W
Sydney
Reviewed January 28, 2012

I (used) to stay here frequently when it was the Holiday Inn. Even though it was not perfect then, now as The Outrigger, it has gone downhill somewhat:

1. The sheets in the bedding are rough and cheap.
2. They've ditched the IHG loyalty scheme, so if you used to be on the higher floors you'll be downgraded down to the lowest floors.
3. Even though they've ditched the good aspects of the past, they've retained the bad aspects of the Holiday Inn, for example no complimentary slippers.
4. The Shampoo is poor quality and needs lots of rinsing to get rid of.
5. No more breakfast or buffet coupons from front desk.
6. Not a smooth transition from Holiday Inn to Outrigger. Took ages to check us in.
7. Poor stationery for the breakfast menu. Someone obviously scanned the previous Holiday Inn breakfast menu and cut and pasted it onto the new Outrigger format. You can tell it is cut and pasted as the definition of the text is lacking and a poor resolution.
8. Wardrobe light was burnt out.

To further punctuate the poor quality of the hotel, have a look at the Outrigger neon sign at night time...half of it is burnt out!

Overall a great location, but with slow service, lack of loyalty to former guests, poor quality sheets etc, I won't be staying there again.

Room Tip: Ask to be on higher floors. Lower floors can be noisy and are often reserved for more 'rowdy'...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Dear AndySPS,
I appreciate the time you have taken to provide feedback on your stay and be assured I will address many of the issues you have raised, such as linen quality and the breakfast menu stationery which was reproduced and not simply copied.
I apologise that we could not honor all of the IHG loyalty components and I was on the understanding IHG had advised all members, but we would always do our best to meet guest requests, such as the high floor.
In regards to the transition, there are always some minor issues and with new computer systems and operations and it will take staff a short period of time for staff to become accustomed and skilled with these changes. Regarding signage as this is brand new neon sign, the tubes have a settling in process that resulted in some tubes not stabilising, and this is being rectified and checked on all three roof top signs. I certainly hope you will stay again, and while I appreciate the IHG Loyalty cannot be continued, I am confident we will show you great service and standards in a great location.
Brisbane
Reviewed January 22, 2012

I booked a room through Wotif on a secret deal for Mid December. The price was high but I guess as it was peak season, I have no reason to complain. I think there is value in this place off peak only. Otherwise it is overpriced. The room was sufficient with two double beds. An odd feature of the room was that there was a set of blinds between the bathroom and the bedroom that could only be operated from the bedroom. We had fun playing peek-a-boo but I just thought it was unusual. I often held a stigma about the Holiday Inn being average, but I was pleasantly surprised at the extent they've gone to to make the interior of the place shine. The foyer is gorgeous. The check in staff were friendly and knowledgeable of the area and gave us good directions for local fare. The aircon did not work but this was fixed as soon as we complained.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sandy S
Perth, Australia
Reviewed January 21, 2012

Great location. We were looking for a central Surfers Paradise hotel so we could walk to beach/restaurants/bars. It was a 5 minute walk to Cavill Avenue and 100m from the beach. Liquor shop next door. Grocery shop and pharmacy all nearby.

The lobby was very attractive and modern. A Japanese-friendly hotel, as it was previously owned by a Japanese company before being taken over by Holiday Inn. The room (Standard Double) itself was spacious, very clean with an ample sized bathroom. Housekeeping was very efficient in bringing up a shaving kit and also fixing our small bar fridge which wasn't very cold.

Had dinner one night in the restaurant (Sirocco) using the supplied 25% off voucher. Buffet was not too bad. Reasonable selection of seafood, hot dishes and desserts. Worst was the crab which was obviously thawed from frozen.

Service overall was very helpful and friendly. Everyone we spoke with was polite and did their best to help us during our stay. Also accommodating to our request for early check-in (7am).

Recommended.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 21, 2012

Having stayed in many Holiday Inn hotels over the years, we felt safe in booking this hotel for the Christmas period, accepting that we were trading a little quality for a known brand. This hotel far exceeded our expectations. We opted for a 'superior' room and were on the 16th floor overlooking the pool, cityscape and with views of the beach. The room was of a very good standard with all we needed for a few nights of relaxation. The balcony was accessible via full-height sliding doors that we left open much of the time, so we could see and hear the sights.

The hotel was perfectly located just far enough away from the beach and 'centre' to give a relatively peaceful experience, but by no means outside of the action. A two minute walk would see you on the beach and five minutes along the front would put you right in the thick of it all.

The hotel had an attached secure car park for a very reasonable 8 AUD a night, where we parked the car and never needed to start it again until the day we moved on.

We didn't use the bar or restaurant in the hotel as it seemed a little pricey and frankly, there were just too many nice alternatives within a very short distance, so we ate out instead.

The pool area was very nice, if a little small for such a big hotel. That said, it was never overly busy, I guess because with so much else going on in and around SP, people were busy doing other stuff. Watch your step in and around the pools; Very slippy!

Having opted for this hotel as the 'safe option' on our month long trip down the east coast, we were delighted to find that it proved to be one of the highlights, and the view from the room has left us with memories we are unlikely to forget in a hurry.

Room Tip: Best views are from a high room on the South (pool) side of the building
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple