Overall this was a really good family holiday travel experience (family of four, two boys 5 & 9). Rooms are nice enough, but not a destination in themselves. We shared a standard twin room which was bearable but squishy at best. But the pool facilities are fantastic and the Marriott website undersells it. A salt water lagoon complete with fish and 'beach' along with a winding pool complex which includes waterfalls, two spas and a waterslide set in a tropical setting with faux caves which kept our boys entertained for days. We stayed four nights over the October long weekend which explains some of the cons:
- poor check in experience, took over 20 minutes to hit the front desk, pretty tedious after a total of 4 hours travel. No real attempt to apologise or recognise this was pretty rubbish; a water would have been nice whilst waiting in line
- slow front desk over the whole stay, always had to queue to talk with someone
- queueing to get into one of the four lifts every time
- no poolside deck chairs available after 10 or so in the morning; we paid $95 for a cabana to ensure we could all sit together for the day.
- no reservations ever available at the hotel restaurants prior to 8pm, challenging with a five year old in tow.
This is all explained by the fact that the hotel was at absolute capacity - we did choose to travel on a long weekend. But pity the hotel did not choose to staff up a bit more.
Negatives not related to it being at full occupancy:
- none of us slept the first night as our airconditioning did not work. To be fair, an engineer came within 10 minutes when we called at 1am in the morning after we realised we couldn't cope without it being looked at. Despite being reassured it was all fine the next day, it was clear that it was still on the blink by mid afternoon on day two. After we made some effort to have it resolved we were offered a new room. We commented that it had been a disappointing experience to lose a night's sleep and a hassle to move, we were offered two mornings of free breakfast - an ok but prompted token by way of apology.
The pool side food. Ugggh. There is no way this food is acceptable. At $20 a cheeseburger I'd expect a meat patty of better quality than we experienced at some of the theme parks, but no. C'mon Marriott, lift your game. I'd suggest you buy in until they improve.
The location is a little out of the way and a bit of a challenge when Surfers is gearing up for their Indy season, but a small inconvenience, and the parking is free under the hotel.
The pool, the pool, the pool.
The rooms are really well insulated and therefore quiet, thank goodness since the place was crawling with kids, including ours!
The buffet breakfast was fine, nothing amazing, but generous and varied and good fun for the kids (they even had ice cream available, but not sure what I think of that?).
The teppanyaki restaurant is fun too - expensive but a great time was had by all.
If you're looking for a perfect pool resort in Surfers and not fussy about luxury room appointments and top class service, this is a great property to visit with the family.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our gorgeously reimagined Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa offers the Gold Coast's ultimate beach holiday and one of the top Surfers Paradise hotels. Immaculate beaches, charming hinterland valleys, and the bustle of high-fashion boutiques greet visitors nearby. Reconnect with nature at our Gold Coast, Australia resort, where verdant tropical gardens, a stunning waterfall, and the area's only private saltwater lagoon (ideal for snorkeling with tropical fish) await. Enjoy lush amenities in elegantly appointed guest rooms, then head out for an indulgent bite of the freshest Japanese cuisine at the award-winning restaurant, Benihana. Or, see what foodies have long been raving about at our famous seafood buffet restaurant, Citrique. Other creature comforts at our hotel include the Lattouf Hair & Day Spa, with a selection of spa treatments and hair services, and also an onsite, 24-hour fitness center. Book your beach holiday today, and let the daydreaming commence. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Marriott, Hotels.com, Agoda, Travelocity and Priceline so you can book your Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort And Spa
- Surfers Paradise Marriott Hotel Surfers Paradise
- Marriott Surfers Paradise Hotel
- Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa Gold Coast