Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Restaurant
Alpha Sovereign Hotel(Surfers Paradise)
Rhapsody Resort(Surfers Paradise)
View Hotel
Mantra Sun City(Surfers Paradise)
  • Pool
Sun City Resort Hotel(Surfers Paradise)
  • Restaurant
Paradise Resort Gold Coast(Surfers Paradise)
  • Restaurant
QT Gold Coast(Surfers Paradise)
  • Pool
Surfers City Motel(Surfers Paradise)
  • Pool
Mantra on View Hotel(Surfers Paradise)
Centrepoint Resort(Surfers Paradise)
2,510 results
All reviewstropical fishcitrique restaurantfish feedingelandra retreatelandra clubsalt water lagoonjunior suitepool areaseafood buffetlobby barthe gold coastvacation clubman made beachhigh teaamazing poolthe club loungeroom service
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Stayed here with work for 2 nights March 2013

The Good :
Pool, Rooms, Spa, beach side pool with fish that you can swim with, Hotel staff were outstanding.

The bad :
Mold in shower, mold around the bath, the food were very average to say the least, prawns were soaked in water and leg ham was way past the used by date, all dried out and brown.

Overall would stay again, but they need to work on these few things

Tips for hotel,
Buy some Domestos & Clean the Shower and bathroom's better!

Regards

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank RangerWildtrak
Marriott S, General Manager at Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2013

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the facilities offered at our resort and found the service from our associates to be outstanding - I will definately be passing on your kind commendation to our team.

I am dissapointed to read your comments regarding our food quality as this is something we really pride ourselves on and usually receive great feedback from guests. We have taken your comments on board and will be following up with our Executive Chef to review our daily food offering in Citrique.

I will also be addressing the issues you raised in regards to your bathroom with our Housekeeping Department to ensure that the highest standard of cleanliness is maintained and would like to thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We look forward to seeing you again at our resort soon, whether you choose to travel for business or leisure.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

This is the 3rd time i have stayed at the Surfers Marriott and the last. Service was extremely poor. You had to queue up to get drinks at the pool bar and wait 40 minutes for breakfast. Its not 5 star and this time you could see that cost cutting was apparant.

Pool slide closed at 4.00pm and you had to go to reception for pool towels. Whats with that!

I am a marriott rewards member but now thrown the card out due to this hotel

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank tightaharry

It really disappoints me to read your comments and I apologise that your last experience at our hotel was not to our normal 5 star standard.

We align our staffing levels around the pool area and waterslide with the predicted weather forecast. Towels should readily be available from our watersports kiosk by the pool each day so I will be reviewing this item with the team to ensure this is the standard and am sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.

Our buffet breakfast offered daily in Citrique, is very popular with in house guests and locals alike and at times, can be an extremely busy meal period for the restaurant. I have discussed your comments with our Director of Food & Beverage to ensure that guests are always seated in a timely manner to avoid long waits and delays.

We appreciate you sharing this feedback with us so that we can take the necessary steps needed to improve the service in these areas.

While I can't take back the inconvenience and disappointed caused to you, I do hope that we may have the opportunity to regain your confidence in our resort again some time in the future.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

It’s not that a hotel is best for its pool, but then the Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort has a spectacular one. It is a tower hotel, and while it works fine, the Lagoon Pool Beach just makes your stay that much more memorable. The pool area is a recently renovated one, and worth planning some time for in a destination where rival attractions will call out to you. The pool itself is great from swims, but take a walk around its periphery. One can go right up the canal, relax in a white folly and there are some caves too, great for young at heart to walk through or frolic about it in! There’s even a waterfall. There are deck chairs, but if you want to make sure you have one, go well in time. We had dinner poolside one day, and it was lovely to have the soft murmurs of tiny waves lapping the shore. [iminent=y0g5NbgUWfOB]

The hotel is close enough to the ocean, and next to the end of a canal. The views from just about any room are spectacular. Its about 20 minutes walking from the heart of Surfer’s Paradise, easy to get around from. A metro line is coming just in front of the hotel, and should be ready before the Commonwealth Games.

The rooms are decent, and I really liked the walk in closet, which isn’t that large, and triangular, but makes for great storage, and enhances the look of the room. The bed was comfortable, beautifully white. There is a small wood separator that adds to the look of the room. Balconies are tiny. Bath areas adequate. There is an adaptor in the room, look next to the tea drawer.

Citrique is great for breakfast. Spacious, aesthetics, and with amazing buffet with an especially great island bar. Also try out the famous Benihana’s Sake Bar. Even if sake is not quite your thing, it will be an experience.

Check in was fairly fast, but Aussies could generally smile more while check in check outs!

Room Tip: I would suggest the higher floors and pool view rooms, even if only for the views.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 28, 2013

We were upgraded to a junior suite on arrival, which was a nice suprise. The rooms have been renovated since we were here last. Our room was spacious, clean and nicely decorated. We had a balcony overlooking the beach and hotel pool and views of the beach and city from the spa bath.

The lobby area is lovely with a sweeping staircase. Check in was efficient, breakfast was a delight with plenty to choose from and despite the large number of people the service was quick and with a smile. We attended a conference held at the hotel and the food at the conference dinner was excellent.

The pool area is great and my partner said the gym was also very good.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank treasureParis
Reviewed February 25, 2013

It must be said this is a nice hotel and having stayed here 5 times over the last 5 years I have noticed changes that have been made due to the $20 million upgrade and also in the way the establishment is run - and there are a few issues that need dealing with. Firstly, it must be said that overall the place is lovely - great waterfall, spa pools and salt water lagoon and the food is 1st class, everything positive that has been said in earlier reviews are accurate - HOWEVER - our personal experience this time left us dissapointed to say the least.

Check in and out is efficient although upon check in we were given the hard sell on upgrading to a junior suite for JUST $95 EXTRA per night! What a bargain!! So upon declining this offer (due to a lack of funds) I decided to turn the tables and ask for a free room upgrade as it was our anniversary and given the fact we had stayed there many times before and the place was only at 40% occupancy so we were told, I thought this was a reasonable request..but, "sorry sir, we cannot do that" was the response. Fair enough but I notein one of the other reviews that an upgrade was given to an overseas visitor with platinum membership status - so possibly only special people get these benefits...even though we are Marriott Rewards members.

If you need to use a computer in the business area good luck, because I had none. For the 7 days we were there every day from breakfast at 7.30am till when we left the pool at 4pm ALL the computers were hogged out by small children playing warfare games between each other. Very Tacky of management to allow this and when I complained once to a staff member they just shrugged their shoulders as if there was nothing they could do!! I'm sure other guests felt the same way as we ended up having a small discussion about the situation one morning after breakfast...I didn't think this area was a child minding facility and the parents of these children need to have a good long think as to why they actually bring their children on holidays at all if this is how they spend their time. An extremely frustrating experience if you need to use these computers, which a lot of travellers do.

ANYWAY, on to the Citrique restaurant - great food, Loius in the omellette area is a delight to talk to as are most of the staff, however, and I hate to mention names but the attitude of both Steve and Julia I think her name was at breakfast was poor. We encountered them on 4 mornings and each time found them to be rude, disinterested in their work and generally dismissive of any attempts to communicate. We tried to avoid them after our 1st morning there.

Rooms are the same as they ever were with the $20 million upgrade meaning they were given a lick of paint, a couple of new soft furnishings and a flat screen tv, but hey! the beds ARE nice and the bathrooms big.

Now, my big bone of contention is the pool area. Sure this is the main attraction and so it should be - extremely well designed with a deep saltwater lagoon complete with some tropical fish, waterfalls and a snaking freshwater pool area adjacent but no money have been visibly invested in this area for yonks!! The tiles that line the edge of the snaking freshwater pool area are decidedly 70's era and look OLD(faded and cracked) and tiles that line the southern edge of the saltwater lagoon have simply fallen away or have massive cracks in them! Paving on the areas next to the pool area is uneven and is cracked in many areas. My wife cut her foot 3 times whist on our stay causing nasty gashes to the side of her foot all due to these faults...I'm lead to believe from staff that an enourmous amount of water is lost from these poolseach day due to cracks in joints etc. When we ran out of bandaids to cover my wifes' bleeding feet we asked reception if we could kindly have a couple of bandaids to help heal her foot we were told there be no charge for the 4 bandaids! Gee, thanks for that!

On 4 or 5 ocassions when needing towels the pool shop was unattended meaning a wait of up to 15 minutes until a staff member arrived and the water slide was more often than not closed when you wanted to use it, so some enterprising guests including myself started jumping the gate so we could use it. The pool area seemed chronically understaffed!! Also in the past guests were often given wet face washers or small towels to refresh themselves - this too is no more. The landscaping whilst OK overall had areas that were seriously degraded and looked poor. Bare areas with just dirt and a bit of weed growing were apparrent just near the entrance gate to the pool area - not a good look and certainly NOT 5 star.

Finally on checking out we were waiting on the outside lounges for a taxi (outside the main entrance) when looking above us we noticed large lights set into the roof - we couldn't believe the amount of dirt, cobwebs and scum covering the atrium roof and the 2 pot plants either side of the concrete pillars at the entrance were also in poor condition.

Overall it is the attention to the small things that make a Hotel 5 star and there have been many little cost cutting measures taking place at The Marriott in recent years that affect cleanliness, extra liitle things that used to be done for guests that aren't done any more, and the overall WOW factor - that is a little lacking in this Hotel these days.

Would I come back for my 50th birthday in May? If it were my 1st time, for sure. If it were another stay, ??? don't know. There are other great 5 Star hotels on the Gold Coast that offer similar experiences.

Room Tip: mountain view room looking south toward surfers paradise is great - high floor recommended
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank retroholidayhunter
Marriott S, General Manager at Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Firstly, I would like to thank you for your support of our hotel over the last 5 years. We really appreciate our loyal guests and your feedback is invaluable to us.

However, we are disappointed to hear that your overall experience during your last visit was not to our normal high standard that you should expect and we appreciate you allowing us the opportunity to look into these items further.

As a 5 star resort, we value feedback from our guests as we are continually looking for areas where additional focus is needed so that we can improve our offering and ensure our guests have a positive experience.

We would welcome the opportunity to personally discuss these items you have raised over the phone so please feel free to contact our Executive Office on 07 5592 9829 at a convenient time.

We hope that we may have the opportunity to regain your confidence in our resort and look forward to speaking with you soon.