“Great Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 33 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Brisbane, Australia
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2008

I stayed at the Marriott Resort for work for four nights in March. It was a fabulous stay.

The entry of the Resort is wonderful with a grand staircase and sandstone everywhere. It was an indulgent, relaxed look.

My room was on the 18th floor and had a balcony, as do all rooms I suspect. I had great views of the ocean, the canal and the hinterland. The room was furnished luxuriously and was very clean. The shower did have a small mould problem but the bathroom otherwise was well lit, spacious and had a big bath. The bed was covered in pillows, so many to choose from!

I didn't have the energy to go out to dinner much while I was there and so indulged on the room service menu. I was surprised to find that the prices were very, very reasonable. For $20AUD you could have a very large serve of lasagna, chips and salad. I couldn't even eat half of it! The wood fired pizza was also great.

I did however check out both restaurants that were on offer at the hotel. Benihana Japanese Steak House was just fantastic for teppanyaki!! It was the most enjoyable and tasty dinner, well worth the $135 that covered three of us with one of the banquets. I also endulged myself at the Lagoon Restuarant which is buffet style. There was soo much to choose from. Seafood, asian noodles, roast, pizza, pasta made to order etc etc.

The hotel is a five minute walk to the beach and I'd estimate a 20-25 minute walk to Surfers 'heart' Cavill Mall.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
4 Thank GTR32

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (578)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2008

I went to a conference in Feb which was organized at this hotel. The facility for the conferece was good, but it was a bit far from the beach and downtown area. However, I was able to find a running/walking path via the park to the beach on my last day of stay. The staff there did not tell me about this route when I asked about the best way to go to the beach for jogging, which was too bad. Instead, he pointed me to go on the main road for a few blocks before turning to the beach. It was okay but there was a nicer way.

Gold coast is too built-up for my taste and I do not think I will want to go back again, unless work related. The hotel room is spacious and clean, but the gym is small and not attractive. The pool is okay. The sea-water, man-made pool is pathetic with a few sad fish to look at, not worh the money for snokel renting.

The hotel food is very expensive, but the restaurant is always packed. I guess, people who come here are relatively well-to-do folks. For a 20 min walk to town, you can find a lot of cheaper local restaurants.

I think Surfers Paradise Hotel is a misnomer name, since it is neither near the beach or as nice as my imaginative paradise.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank 3T
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2008

We decided to go away for a long weekend down the Coast to the Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort and Spa.

When we arrived we were greeted by a friendly porter who warmly welcomed us to the resort.

We then checked in - the service from the lady on reception was second to none! She was friendly and helpful. She even offered a nice cold glass of apple and guava juice each!

We stayed in Room 805 - it was a lovely room (with a nice big bathtub!). The view from our balcony was great - to the right we could see the houses on the canal, directly in front down below we could see the pool area and to the right the ocean!

The bed was large and comfortable.

The first night we dined at Benihana - the teppanyaki restaurant in the resort! The food was amazing! The first time I had tried teppanyaki and I cannot wait to go back. You sit at a communal dining table with 6 other people with the chef cooking your order fresh in front of you! We even attempted to catch a prawn in our mouths (I failed that one miserably!). The service staff were amazing.

Before and after our dinner at Benihana, we enjoyed cocktails in the Lobby Bar. HINT: On Friday and Saturday nights they offer 3 special cocktails which aren't on their usual menu. The Rocky Road cocktail and the one with the passionfruit and celery (don't knock it until you try it!) were great.

The second night we ate at MooMoo Bar and Grill - if you like steak then this is the place for you! The wine list was extensive. The entrees were delicious and the main course (eye fillet) was melt in your mouth. I can thoroughly recommend the garlic potato mash and the MooMoo jus. For dessert try the chocolate pudding! YUMMY!

Each morning we had breakfast in the main area. The buffet was extensive. If you want to get a buffet breakfast on a Sunday morning I highly recommend getting there early as it is really busy after about 830am.

The only criticism is, if it can really be called that, is we paid an additional $10 each day for valet parking. The second night, when we returned from MooMoo at around 930pm, we noticed our car was still on the driveway. When we questioned this, we were advised that the carpark was full due to dinner and reception guests. By 11pm the car had been safely and securely parked in the undercover carpark.

• Liked — The views of the pool area - it has an artificial reef with real fish and you can snorkel around the pool!
  • Disliked — The oldish grouting in the shower - perfectly clean, but tired looking.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BrettandTangles
Vancouver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2008

When we arrived at front desk we were offered fresh juice while we checked in, a very nice touch. We were impressed by the lobby and gardens, 5 star. The room had a very musty smell when we arrived, and soon realized why. The shower stall was covered in mold. I would expect more from a 5 star rated hotel. Other than that, the bathroom and bathtub were huge and bath products were nice. Beds were comfy and the ac worked quite well.
We enjoyed the lunch buffet, the food was excellent, lots of choices. The price was well worth it, and if you like wine for $15 you could include a wine buffet as well. The wine choices were quite good, and we took full advantage of the choices.
The weather wasn't the best during our stay, but it was still about 20 celsius, good enough for swimming I thought. I found the pools down right cold, perhaps they could adjust the heating through the year. The pools were quite beautiful though and we enjoyed all the tropical fish in the salt water pool..The block and a half to the beach was very easy to reach, and not a bother at all.
All and all, we had a very nice stay here. A little tlc on the bathrooms would do a world of good.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Bathrooms
  • Stayed March 2005, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Kwithac
gold coast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2008

This is THE best hotel on the Coast. The rooms were good size, beds were sooo comfortable. Bathrooms were fine - was told they are spending a fortune renovating them with new grouting, shower screens, taps, shower roses, etc (dual flush toilets already installed). Still much more luxurious than your bathroom at home! Staff were really friendly and couldn't do enough for us and our children. We will definately be back.

• Liked — pool, beds, service
  • Disliked — nothing!
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank ausjane
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2008

We stayed 3 nights at this hotel and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Parking was available at the hotel at no cost ($10 for valet parking). The lobby area was very impressive. Check-in was speedy, a welcome drink was provided and our bags were taken to our room immediately. All staff that we came across throughout our stay were friendly and efficient.

The room was clean, spacious and well appointed. The bed was very comfortable and there was also a desk, tv, small table & chairs, in room safe, mini-bar and tea & coffee making facilities. Internet connection was available in the room for a fee. The balcony had a couple of chairs and provided views of the lovely pool area and the ocean. The mini-bar and the air conditioner were both noisy - the weather was mild so we hardly used the air conditioner, but we had to turn off the mini-bar at night time to get to sleep. The bathroom was large and clean, apart from some mould above the tiles in the shower and there were hairs stuck on the bathroom ceiling.

The pool areas are a real feature of this hotel. There were 2 heated pools plus an artificial lagoon with coral reef, fish and a waterfall - great for snorkelling. There was also a water slide and a couple of spas.

The meals that we had at the hotel were good quality. Both the a la carte and buffet breakfast at the Lagoon Restaurant were excellent (but a bit pricey - $35 for full buffet breakfast). The Japanese restaurant (Benihama) was a highlight - make sure to book as they are usually very busy. The tepanyaki chefs were very entertaining and the meal was fresh and delicious. We also had room service on one occasion - the meal arrived within half an hour and was excellent value and tasty.

I would stay at this hotel again.

• Liked — Pool area
  • Disliked — Noisy mini bar
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Turkeyjay
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2008

5 star lobby area and service, however the room I stayed in was closer to 4 stars than 5. I agree with other reviewers that the bathroom appears a bit tired. However the toilet in our room was dual flush, and the shower did have an additional water saving head. The grouting in the shower tiles showed standard wear and tear, the kind you expect after a few years. There was a rust stain near the sink hole in the bathtub.
My children absolutely loved the lagoon area. Fantastic wood fired pizzas which you can have sent to your room.
I thought the buffet was excelent, as far as buffets go. $65 per person, half price for children, and our 4 year old ate for free.
The quality of the service was excellent.
We used the in house laundrette, on the 3rd floor. They have maytag top loaders which are notorious for linting your clothes, which didn't improve after being in the dryer.

• Liked — the lagoon and the wood fired pizzas
  • Disliked — dated bathroom
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family