“Lisa is awesome!!! :)” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 32 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Brisbane, Australia
“Lisa is awesome!!! :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Didnt book ahead at prime time however with the help of lovely staff especially LISA managed
to get our family 3 nights. I would like to give LISA a big thank you, she made our stay at the Marriot all the better with her kindness and attention at all times.

The pillows and bed were to die for!!

Will definately be returning soon and recomending to others!! Had a great time!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank chelsea n
Marriott S, General Manager at Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments - I will be sure to pass these onto Lisa.

We are glad you all had such a great time and look forward to welcoming you and your family back again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (521)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Spent 5 nights here in early January with my partner, loved the recent renovations as we had been here in late 2010 and is a marked improvement.

The room was very nice and clean and a very comfortable bed. Air con was very effective and the gym is quite good for a Hotel.

The Service was very good and everyone very professional.

My partner visited the Spa and she loved it!

Room service was very nice and all in all pretty affordable, similarly the outside pool bar and coffee shop. Only dined at the new Critique Restaurant once for dinner and once for Breakfast, was nice enough and call me old fashioned but I find these Buffet style expensive, unless you make an absolute pig of yourself. Much rather sit down to an À la carte meal, which they do offer.

My only real gripe was the number of Children that were running around the Hotel at all hours of the day and their parents complete disregard for other guests, crawling around the Restaurant and screaming - throwing tantrums at the drop of a hat. While this isn't really the hotels problem My opinion is to perhaps re classify this as a Kid Friendly or family orientated hotel and perhaps steer clear if you are looking for a nice relaxing couple retreat. One thing you could improve is making the Business Center kid free, its not an video game arcade, I had real trouble getting on a PC to write an important email while kids were playing games for hours on end that i couldn't write on my Iphone

So all in all was a nice time however be warned of the kids club vibe if you go in peak season.

Room Tip: All foors seem to offer good views of beach or Hinterland
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 255060Jamesb83
Marriott S, General Manager at Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Thank you for choosing to return to the Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa - we are glad that you were impressed with the resort's recent renovations and enjoyed your stay overall.

The resort is a popular choice for families as children love our outdoor lagoon, waterslide and pool area. We do also offer a Kids Club during the School Holidays for families looking for additional activities to keep their children entertained.

We appreciate your comments regarding our Business Centre and will definitely be taking steps to address this concern. I apologise for the inconvenience that this caused you during your stay.

We hope that you will have the opportunity to return again in the future and we look forward to seeing you then.
auckland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

In October 2012 we held out Weddng at the Marriott.
We spent many hours on the phone with Louise the event cordinator planning this event.
WE live in New Zealand so were concerned as to what we might get.. Louise was wonder and full of helpfull information and advice for us.Everything that could be thought of was and the day was everything we could have possibly dreamed of.
The Marriot was a fantistic location and backdrop for our photos. The grand staircase was the perfect entrance for the Bride with the guests waiting for her at the bottom of this...What a wonderfull way to start the wedding.
The photos were taken in the grounds around the waterfull and pool with stunning shots as the sun went down.The meal was served that was far better that any other wedding meal that we have ever been to .
The room that we were put in was stunning with full views of the ocean and pool.
Several of our wedding guest also stayed here and they loved there time here also
If you are thinking of a location for your wedding then you could not do any better that this wonderfull location
Thankyou Marriott for making our dreams come true and a perfect way to start our new life together

Room Tip: Choose a sea view and enjoy waking up to the waves and sun rise
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ralph s
Marriott S, General Manager at Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Firstly, congratulations! Thank you for your kind comments - I will be sure to pass these on to Louise and her team.

Thank you for choosing to celebrate such a special occasion here at the Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa. We look forward to welcoming you both back when you next visit our resort.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Overall the hotel is great. The standout by far is their salt walter lagoon pool that has tropical fish in it and the boys both loved it! Bring your snorkels and pool toys as the hotel will gladly charge you $10/day to hire a snorkel and $5/day for a pool noodle.

The other pool has water slide that has a minimum 120cm requirement (but you can sign a waiver which we only found out the last day if you have kids smaller than that - Important tip!).

Breakfast buffet was huge, but expensive if it wasn't included in your room. $36 / adult, and $20/child. Children 5 and under get to eat for free though. Decent coffee is additional (This is a major gripe at hotels - same as charged wifi).

We had level 25 hinterland views which were fine, and we didn't miss the beach view at all as we weren't in the room that often.

The Elandra club upgrade is worth it for a little peace and quite, and it's quite a spectacle to see the free drinks at 5:30pm and the hordes descend on the bar/buffet (quite a few people considered this as the place to get their kids fed).

Tip for families: The theme parks have huge queues for everything during school holidays. I am not sure they limit the number of people allowed at them - see my reviews for the theme parks if you want to know more.

Room service was quick, although you can get better pizza's delivered by someone like Crust then they make onsite.

Room Tip: Elandra Club Rooms are the best.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We had not stayed at the Marriott for a while, and noticed some changes - particularly in the public areas, and not all of which add to the ambience of this beautifully designed hotel. The pool is still great to swim in - and seems to be heated again. The lagoon had hardly any fish in it - which is a shame. And the Bali-style double-beds by the pool are a bit weird. Food in the restaurant was good, as was our in-room breakfast. Staff were polite, with good check in/out. So, yes, we would still recommend this hotel for a great family holiday!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
Marriott S, General Manager at Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
We are glad that you had the opportunity to come back and visit the resort as a family in December.

Thank you for your comments in regards to the food quality in the restaurants and service during your stay. These are areas that as a team we are continually focused on so it is great to hear that you had such a positive experience.

Since your last stay, the resort underwent a major refurbishment which included upgrades to all of the guest rooms, the new restaurant - Citrique, the lobby area and landscaping around the lagoon.

The poolside day beds were designed as part of the refurbishment for guests wishing to enjoy a more comfortable area as they relax by the lagoon and have been quite popular.

Currently in our lagoon we have over 350 tropical fish and the daily fish feeding, which we conduct at 9.30am is a great opportunity for guests to see them all at any one time. Due to the very hot conditions over the last few weeks, we have noticed that a lot of the fish are choosing to stay around the caves and rocks near the waterfall which in some areas is over 4 metres deep. We continually introduce new species of fish into the lagoon on a regular basis and always maintain a level of between 350 - 400 fish at any time.

Thank you for your recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you back when you next visit the Gold Coast.
Townsville, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

As on Mystery hotel on Wotif i wasn't sure what we were getting for s long deserved holiday and i thought lets hav some fun so bought 5 days away in five star hotel at great price and when payed the Marriott came up .
We scored big time couldn't get on the plane fast enough lol
Walking in to the Hotel was wow as a very big entrance and chandeliers coming down with an amazing stair case behind very impressive (we climbed these a few times a day for exercise ) lol
.As early they they stored our bags ( service staff all very friendly) and we went to this Oasis of of a pool . One for kids , a slide , a salt water pool everything u need to relax . Kava as at price ( should be free )
snorkeling in salt water ( this cost should be complementary too or donation towards fish care as syiske money but for the fish )) as fish included for our delight then two amazing hot tubs . One in a man made cave included with toilets hidden in them and a Beautiful waterfall fall into the salt pool great for shoulder massages as hubby said)
We had cocktails and food which was great round the pool and beach then went up to our room which impressed me by the cleanses and space we had to
Live in for five days with teenage son -.
We had two long sized double bed s big enough for 6' 2 hubby and sleep time was heaven , very comfortable excellent sleeps
Balcony was small but we had amazing view of city hinterland and some of the beach just about everything . Beautiful lights at night I love views so this was important me .
Higher up is better as we were 20th floor .

Surfers Paradise( 10 -15 mins) is in walking distance as beach is not far either ( beach 2 mins )

Room service is excellent and hot impressed . Didn't hav buffet as conscience of my weight after xmas though looked amazing and fresh
Service is above 5
Would come again and recommend it.

• Stayed January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
It is great to hear that you and your family had such an enjoyable stay at our resort and it lived up to your expectations.

I am glad you had the opportunity to spend some time by the lagoon as it really is a highlight of our resort.

We thank you for your suggestion regarding snorkel hire and will discuss this as a team when we are next reviewing our pool experience.

We look forward to welcoming you all back again soon when you next choose to holiday on the Gold Coast.
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

My sister and I stayed at the Marriott Resort & Spa last year, 28 Nov 2012 - 1 December 2012, for our yearly sister getaway. We normally travel to Melbourne, given its proximity to Adelaide, but decided on Gold Coast after a Jetstar birthday flights sale.

After looking at all our accommodation options, we narrowed it down to Sofitel and Marriot. After weeks of uhm-ing and ah-ing the Marriot's lagoon pool and extensive renovations won us over. We were not disappointed!

PRE-ARRIVAL SERVICE

The girls at reception were absolutely fabulous in helping me organise a surprise for my sister. I contacted Annie a multitude of times leading up to our stay to ensure that my parcel arrived and asked reception not to inform my sister, as the booking was under her name. They did it all with a smile. Reception also referred me to their in-house florist who made a magnificent pink peony bouquet with the added touch of a miniature (2 flowers and foliage) arrangement for the bathroom.

It was so lovely to have fresh flowers in the room and the florist designed it in a way to compliment the space. I was surprised that the bouquet was very well priced for a 5-star hotel. When I was told $60, I was expecting a few stems only however the florist worked her magic and produced a real stunning medium sized centrepiece in a vase. The florist was also helpful in organising the bouquet to be packaged up at the end of our stay, so we could take them with us, and checking in with state customs on their restrictions. Needless to say, my sister was very surprised and it set a great tone for the whole stay.

ARRIVAL

Upon arrival on the 28th it was a muggy and humid day.

Concierge was efficient and polite in helping us get out of our Limo (our independent driver failed to pick us from the airport, so we were compensated with a Chrysler stretch limo which resembled John Travolta’s Saturday Night Fever) and carefully looked after our luggage. Reception was fantastic, again. Apologised for the heat and quickly check us in.

The one thing that the Marriot could improve on is the ventilation in the lobby. The air is very static and it felt uncomfortable checking in. I was told by the Lattouf (spa) girls that prior to the renovations there were oversized swinging Balinese fans where the crystal installations hang. It would have been nice to re-install them after the upgrades.

The foyer was magnificantly decked out for the looming Christmas holidays. It was nice to see it done in a tasteful way and not tacky. I didn't feel attacked by the Christmas decorations, like I do in Department stores, but there was enough there to set a festive mood.

ROOM

Our room, Mountain View Balcony, was lovely and spacious. The room had a real plantation/Hamptons feel to it. The bathroom was a good size however the toilet holder was in an awkward position. I had a sore lower back and it was difficult to slightly twist my torso to grab toilet paper that sat slightly back and low. The fluffy robes were fantastic; I lived in mine when I was in our room. The towels are nice and fluffy.

The built-in-robe space and configuration was great. All the basics were provided and there was a sufficient amount of coat hangers for two girls. The built-in-robe had a good table top space that fit a large suitcase, which was handy for packing and unpacking.

The beds were plush and ultra-comfortable. There was also a great selection of pillows to choose from, with varying density. We were very well rested after our 3 nights and were sad to leave the beds. We both said it was like sleeping on clouds.

Reception is quick to your requests; the lady that picks up on the Reception extension is really polite and super helpful. The maintenance guys had a response time of less than 5 minutes when we needed help with working our air conditioner and opening the balcony door.

ELANDRA RETREAT CLUB

We did the Elandra Retreat Club for a day. My sister has tried this service offering with many of the five star hotels across South-East Asia and raved to me about her experiences (cocktails, great finger foods, entertainment etc). We were keen to try it given that the all you can eat breakfast at Citrique was included, which we were intending to eat at one morning.

I was a little disappointed. The window seat view of the ocean was lovely as well as the surrounds. It was nice to have a little privacy and be away from it all. The food was very average (scones and assorted cakes for afternoon tea and fried finger foods for pre-dinner drinks). The juice, sodas, tea and coffee offering varied and caters to most tastes. The pre-dinner drinks consisted of cheap base spirits, bourbon and wines which I skipped. However, as with the rest of the Marriot the service was good. Overall, I think this service could be strengthened.

FOOD

We ate at Citrique on the first night with their a la carte menu, due to our late arrival. The food was good for a hotel and the service exceptional. The restaurant is well furnished and décor beautiful in its simplicity. We had room service dessert which was simple, tasty and did the trick with a good response time from the kitchen.

Breakfast at Java+ was delicious. Eggs cooked well and a good serving of mushrooms on crusty bread, just the way I like it. Great beverage range as they even stock the Arizona teas in all flavours. The tables are slightly small but served their purpose.

We also had dinner at Benihana Japanese Steak House. It has a real joyous Teppanyaki vide to it, which was intensified because each room had up to 4 Teppanyaki cook plates therefore be prepared for a lot of fellow diners in the one space. Food was good and service great the cocktails are strong and delicious. Overall, Benihana is highly recommended for a casual affair.

We tried the popular all you can eat dinner on another night at Citrique. The all you can eat seafood, plus other cuisines, is a feast for even the severest gluttons. The seafood was a nice offering of mussels, Morton-bay bugs, king crab, prawns, Sydney rock oysters and scallops with a great selection of accompaniments. There was also a good selection of Italian, Asian and Australian Roast options.

Make sure to save some room for the dessert bar, it’s easy to fill up on the ice-cream/sundae bar and the selection of cakes. I am not a fan of all-you-can eat so I didn’t regard it as highly as my a la carte experience at Citrique. However, if you love all-you-can-eat then you cannot miss this one.

LATTOUF HAIR & DAY SPA

My sister and I had a lovely time at the spa. We decided on the Divine Day package and the girls looked after us very well. The massage, upgraded to a candle massage, was absolutely amazing. I had an ex-nurse masseuse, who really looked after my tension areas. Our lunches were a little late due to a slight confusion; we basically arrived that morning and were fitted in then and there so our lunch orders weren’t taken until after the massage. Again, the food at Marriot is decent for a hotel.

The beauty component of the package was somewhat hit and miss. The hairdressers really know how to give a girl a good blow wave. However, the manicure girls need a little re-training as one admitted that she got her manicures from somewhere else. My sister and I cancelled our shellac upgrades and we were glad we did because the manicures were not that well done, but the girls are really sweet.

Overall, 6 hours is a little long for a spa treatment that isn’t at a spa retreat (like Daylesford) so my sister and I were tired from our day long indulgence. I would recommend the massage and the hairdressers as they really shined on the day. The beauty girls are super sweet and helpful, I would recommend a simple mani and pedi. The girls and guy at Lattouf really looked after us and ensured that we had a very relaxing and indulgent day.

LAGOON SWIMMING POOL

This is a true treat for the family. My sister and I snorkelled (you can hire the gear from the Poolside Café) around for an hour before dinner one night. It was great to be able to swim with the fish and just laze about. We saw a number of families with their kids (not overcrowded with children) around the lagoon really enjoying themselves. We would have booked the Cabana but the package started at 3 hours or a whole day so it wasn’t worth 1 hour. The hotel provided beach chairs so the Cabana’s aren’t necessary but the day beds did look really inviting!

SUMMARY

What we intended to be only a place where we could leave our luggage turned out to be our playground during our time in the Gold Coast (due to schoolies, which we forgot to factor in). We definitely recommend using some of the services that you wouldn't usually think of using such as the florist. Also, given that the Gold Coast is not a real foodie hub the hotel has some decent options for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

The team at Marriot really look after you and you can see that they work hard to give you a great experience. On a hot day, you will find the Hotel Manager in the lobby helping her team serve champagne and juice to guests and chatting to them about their stay… which was so nice after a long day at Harbourtown.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
2 Thank oOLilyOo
Mantra Circle on Cavill
Mantra Circle on Cavill
#6 of 32 in Surfers Paradise
4.0 of 5 stars 1,747 reviews

Been to Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!