“Melbourne Cup luncheon”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Catch Restaurant

Catch Restaurant
Cuisines: Seafood, Australian
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Catch is the new signature restaurant at Hilton Surfers Paradise. With a fresh, coastal atmosphere, Catch features a seafood focused menu with subtle Asian influences.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Melbourne Cup luncheon”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

This was by far the Worst Melbourne Cup luncheon we have experienced. Starting with 5 phone calls to get confirmation of booking...then the day! We arrived 25 mins early to have drink at the bar to be greeted by abandoned vacuum cleaner at lift entrance. Bar closed....at entrance of the restaurant was cleaners trolley. Entree...average. We were advised Wellington was rare to medium. Was very well done, not pleasant. Not one flower or anything to indicate Melbourne Cup. Unprofessional fashion parade to say the least. Race was shown on old roll down movie screen and could not hear due to poor sound. At the best part of race...message flashed on screen that broadcast would switch off due to lack of power! Have dined in very many restaurants for this day....have to say, for $160 this was a disaster! The only positive was we had a nice waitress who was attentive to our drinks.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank AnnetteU2
Hilton S, Manager at Catch Restaurant, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear AnnetteU2,

Thank you for your post regarding our recent Melbourne Cup luncheon.

It is disappointing to note you were not entirely satisfied with your experience. I appreciate your feedback as this is instrumental in allowing us to improve and ensure we consistently meet and exceed guests expectations.

I regret the inconvenience you encountered in obtaining a confirmation for your booking. I will be reminding the team of the need to ensure all guest correspondence is responded to in a timely and efficient manner. This is certainly not indicative of the high level of communication we typically promote.

Our hotel cocktail bar, FIX Bar, does not open until later in the evening. Beverages were available directly from the restaurant at the commencement of the lunch and FIX Bar was opened shortly after as an alternative for visitors and guests. Prior to this time, The Food Store was open where a pre lunch beverage could have been enjoyed. It is a shame that this was not highlighted to you upon your arrival.

I have shared your feedback regarding the food with our Executive Chef. We are very passionate about ensuing the high quality of our dishes, I apologise you felt that we fell short in this regard.

Unfortunately we encountered some technical faults with our projector screen used to broadcast the race from Flemington, I apologise for the disturbance that this caused. We opted for a larger screen to ensure everyone had an opportunity to view the race. We will review this further along with your suggestion to add flowers when planning future events.

It is disappointing to note that you didn’t enjoy the fashion parade. This has been used for two consecutive years now due to its popularity.

Once again AnnetteU2, thank you for your posting and I apologise we were unable to meet your expectations. Your feedback has been taken on board and we will be happy to review this when planning future events. You are welcome to contact myself personally at the hotel if there is anything further you would like to discuss.

I truly hope we can again welcome you to Salt grill where you can enjoy the excellent quality and service we are renowned for.

Kind Regards,

Ben Schumacher
Operations Manager
Hilton Surfers Paradise

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“A little disappointing.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

Dined at this restaurant on Monday night. I had heard so much about this place that I wanted to try for myself. The lobby is dark and uninviting. The restaurant was modern and large it is a shame about the view of the street from the windows.The wait staff( who were pleasant) waited on all the tables which makes it hard to know who you need to get the attention of when wanting another drink. The meals were pretty ordinary..fries were frozen. Fish had no taste. Vegetables were nice and well seasoned. The whole experience was "ok". I am not sure if I would rush back. :(

• Visited November 2013
Airlie Beach, Australia
“Thank You Luke”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

Dear Luke,

Thank you for your reply (via these pages) of the 13 June to my review, entitled ‘Disappointing’ and dated 02 June, of your glass brasserie’ in Sydney. I am pleased to read in your response that you consider it “…wonderful to learn … been enjoying my food since my Salt days “

It certainly was a great restaurant, much better than the curry house that previously occupied that space at the Kirketon Hotel – with the bathrooms outside, down the corridor !

Putting my experience at the ‘ glass brasserie’ down to possibly a one-off combination of factors such as key staff having an off-day and the customer’s palate maybe having an off-day too, I recently visited the Salt Grill at the Hilton Surfers Paradise confident in prior experiences of your menu’s.

Seven course Degustation dinner for two with matching wines was the order of the night (again), and we weren’t disappointed. Each course & wine arrived regularly without delays or overlaps, and were superb. Full flavours, colour, contrasting textures – excellent and state of the art

Mandy Newson, the restaurant manager and an outstanding professional, was friendly without being familiar, knowledgeable without being patronising, and added immeasurably to our comfort and dining experience. We requested a booth opposite the open kitchen’s servery station, a prime position for those more interested in food than just satisfying their hunger, and were fascinated by the procedures we watched. Table & wine service was first-class, and inspiring to see so many highly-trained young people thoroughly enjoying their work.

As befitting all of the 5-star restaurants under your magic touch, Luke, the table set-up was not miserly. Glassware, cutlery, napery, whilst being very functional as opposed to just being ‘’pretty’’ , absolutely glow, gleam, glisten and sparkle.

Is the restaurant stuffy or too formal ? It may be for beer & pizza aficionado’s, - let’s hope so, Luke. For those however that like a restaurant with an ambience that resonates with happiness, is spacious, well-light, feels alive, and exudes a comfortable aura of value for money – I have no hesitation in advising family and best friends to visit you on the first floor of the Hilton Hotel at Surfers Paradise.

Cheers

• Visited October 2013
Sydney
“Good food lacks atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

Dined here tonight with friends for a birthday. Quality food, good service. Fairly expensive but the quality was there. The shame with this place is that the Hilton lacks atmosphere jthe lobby is Dark, dingy low grade fit out, restaurant looks over an empty mall and the mirrors just highlight the lousy aspect. We also found the Aircon average.

• Visited October 2013
Surfers Paradise, Australia
“Fabulous evening”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

The ambience immediately struck us when we first walked in. Very modern, welcoming & we could see into the very busy kitchen. Although there weren't many in the restaurant to begin with, it soon filled & there wasn't a spare table to be found.
We had a lovely glass of white while deciding what to order. There were so many choices & it was difficult to decide.
My friend & I started with the potato, parmesan and olive croquettes on rocket pesto & they didn't disappoint. We both also had pan fried potato gnocchi, sweet corn, zucchini, asparagus,
lemon thyme, parmesan with truffle verjuice as our main course. For dessert we shared the selection of sorbets, fruit carpaccion & meringue. Delicious! We washed this down with a glass of cognac.
We had very attentive waitstaff, especially Andrea. She was outstanding - very friendly & happy to offer suggestions & advice. There were many children there on the night, however, all were well behaved & we didn't really notice them.
I highly recommend this restaurant - it was outstanding.

• Visited September 2013