“A bit different”

Bazaar
Cuisines: International
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Buffet, Reservations
Description: Prepare for a journey of gastronomic proportions at Bazaar Interactive Marketplace, your plate is your passport and there are no rules on which destinations to explore.
Surfers Paradise, Australia
“A bit different”
Reviewed May 2, 2014

This was a gamble. We found this on a website about surfers and thought we would give it a go. It was definately not your average buffet with many different dishes to choose from. Lots of seafood to eat as you please the very best Chorizo I have tasted since living in Spain and I tried some interesting dishes from all over the world. I only had ice cream for dessert as I was so full I had no room for the delectable array on offer. Only neg was the wine was not inexpensive however it was good so cant really complain. all in all thumbs up.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Diane D

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong
“Good experience if you have not been here before”
Reviewed May 2, 2014

2nd visit here. Great choice of food and seafood (oysters, mussels, prawns) but no sashimi this time. Good dessert choices. Service okay but less attentive than last visit.
Steak and tapas cook to order. Good wine selection. Free street parking at night.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Mushroom12345
Coomera, Australia
“Lovely concept.”
Reviewed April 30, 2014

I love that the menu is different every time. Have been here a few times. It's a lovely atmosphere.
There are a couple of disappointments, and comment on every time I go there, is, there is no gluten free choice at the "dessert table". Yet desserts are the easiest thing to make GF! And the staff aren't educated on what is/isn't GF, so I have to talk with the chef.
We paid $75/head... Even for the little kiddies who only nibble! No separate price for them.
The crab, when cooked needs to be cooked in more salt... Otherwise it's very cardboardy.
Drinks service was limited. Our party had to attend the bar themselves (which was quite pricey).
On my last visit, we booked in for our staff Christmas party, and at 9 pm we were asked to vacate our table and venture downstairs to the nightclub as the table was booked for another party! As 1/2 of our team is over 40, nightclubbing was out, so our party ended quite swiftly!

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank Cindie B
Brisbane, Australia
“Disappointment is that disappointment had to be “dealt with” at all”
Reviewed April 26, 2014

NB - have not rated service, because: when it was good, it was very, very good; but when it was bad, it was horrid.

Dining in Bazaar (QT’s in-house marketplace-style restaurant) was an absolute knockout when I feasted there two and a half years ago, and I was keen to revisit their service and culinary wonderfulness. Unfortunately, in more ways than one, it was disappointing, but I must make note that my dissatisfaction was made known on the night, and notwithstanding some still 101-service missteps, in-the-end was dealt with professionally and appropriately and I very much appreciate that.

Thanks to acting restaurant manager, Shannon, and the impeccable service of our second waiter, Sean; what started spiralling into disaster, ended as an adequate evening out.

If you don’t want, as my companion commented, “my food served with attitude”, then at $72/head for dinner (not including drinks), you can probably find a fine-dining experience of two entrées or a main (served with commensurate waiter standards), elsewhere. But, to be fair, if QT upped the ante and restored this to the exceptional experience it once was (hours grazing on good food, in a fantastically-serviced and fun environment), it’s not be missed.

The grievances ::
• sauce in the seafood section was refilled from a plastic takeaway container into empty and dirty bowl;
• an exhausted whole-salmon platter was tonged into a rubbish bin, pulled out from under the service benches, not 60cm or so directly across from where food is displayed and served;
• with outrageous obnoxiousness and rudeness, a request to be moved from near the service area was met with the retort, “it’s not a service area, it’s more like a dumping ground” and was followed by a huffy point, rather than escort (but which, at our behest, was reluctantly undertaken), to our new table;
• plates were still wet from dishwashing and many had the rough-hewn remains of food items – one service attendant found me a new plate and replaced the dirty one back in the pile (!) and I was not the only customer to feel and make new selections based on the state of plates.

The good ::
• This is not a buffet per se, but food stations designed in a marketplace style with attending chefs;
• It’s a fun way to enjoy a great many varieties of food and, the food is good (!) and so is the seafood.

Doubling as the QT hotel’s breakfast buffet, Bazaar is great value for money at $30. Just note, even though their advertised finishing time is 10.30am, food is not replenished from 10am and clearing the buffet and table setup for next service commences during this last 30 minutes. To get the best value from the prepared-to-your-liking omelettes (not available when we arrived at 10am), and other great food offerings, arrive well before 10.

My experience/s here this time (breakfast twice, dinner once) were more bizarre than bazaar and I’m really not sure I’d give it another shot.

• Visited April 2014
4 Thank SoozSolo
Perth, Australia
“Waste of Money”
Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

Congratulations on the most boring buffet I have ever visited . Your definition of seafood is a joke, where was the fish?
You managed to make the whole buffet tasteless. I was in a party of 9 and everyone shared my opinion.
Cold pasta, lumpy boring Spanish rice and to top it off you charge for coffee on a buffet. If you charge $72 a head, pick up your act because every buffet on the Gold Coast is better than Bazaar at QT.

8 Thank Chris F