“Basic accommodation, very friendly staff”

Surfers Beach Resort 2
Sydney, Australia
“Basic accommodation, very friendly staff”
Reviewed May 20, 2012

Booked at very short notice as I was attending a conference and that wasn't confirmed until a couple of days before hand.

I had a phone call the day I was due to arrive saying that reception would be unattended "as it's Mother's Day and we'll be out. Just pick up the phone at reception and it'll call me and I'll give you instructions." I was informed early on on the day after I arrived that the place was being sprayed for pests and was given a rough time as to when this would happen. I can't fault the service.

Lounge/dining area, had a table that sat 4, large couch, chair and a reasonably large tv with foxtel. Double sliding door onto a balcony.

Ceiling fans in lounge and bedroom. Air-conditioner in lounge but no remote to turn it on (I didn't need it, so never asked)

Tiled kitchen area had a large fridge, stove, oven, microwave, dishwasher, toaster and kettle. Crockery and cutlery for 4. Didn't note what cooking pots, pans and utensils there were as I ate out each night.

Bedroom was small with a double bed, bedside tables and built-in wardrobe. Sliding door onto a balcony. Room was so small, I couldn't actually shut the door until I re-positioned the bed. I found the bed to be very hard - but then again, I like soft ones.

Small bathroom, you have to shut the door to get to the loo, Large mirror but I think the ladies would say there was not enough lighting. Bathroom had some minor damage that needs touching up - I'm guessing someone knocked the towel rail off at some point.

Hidden in a cupboard inside the apartment entry area is a washing machine, dryer, iron and ironing board.

A few sachets of coffee, sugar and mik are provided, along with a couple of sachets each of detergent for the sink and the washing machine. Personally, I'd have liked one sachet of washing machine powder too.

Getting to my room was a little unusual. The building is split in two down the middle. The front half use the front door, to get to the rear ones you have to walk around the side of the building to the back door. Separate stair cases from the parking.

Each room gets one secure parking space. The carpark is small but I had no real issues with the large car I was driving. There are a few undercover, unsecured parking spots for visitors (though there seemed to be plenty of spaces on the street)

The beach is less than 5 minutes walk away. Nearest takeaways and bottle shops (that I found) were less than 10. There's a small supermarket just down the street - *not* cheap.

Yes, this place is cheap but the quality exceeded what I expected with what I paid.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business