“Excellent Hotel & Excellent Location”

Mantra Circle on Cavill
Ranked #7 of 32 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Melbourne
“Excellent Hotel & Excellent Location”
Reviewed April 28, 2010

My wife and I stayed at the circle hotel for 5 nights, we have nothing but praise regarding the cleanliness, appointment of the rooms, all appliences and most of all the kind and prompt service received from all staff. The hotel is ideally situated to all services. Will be returning to the gold coast in 6 - 8 weeks and without a doubt be staying at the Mantra Circle on Cavill. If you after a very good meal visit the AVENUE hotel you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Frank V

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Brisbane
Reviewed April 26, 2010

Where should I start. After struggling to find the reception, we waited 15 minutes at the front counter before finally catching the attention of a less than courteous receptionist. I assume she took so long to help us as she was looking for her manners, which she didn't find. When we got to our room we were pleasantly surprised by the spaciousness of the room. That was the sole moment of satisfaction for the trip. The single beds looked thin enough to use as mouth floss, the windows were so dirty that for a moment I thought they may have used shower screens as windows by accident, the smell of the apartment rivalled that of a infected toenail, and the electrical appliances featured on last weeks antiques roadshow.

If that wasn't enough the real dissapointment of the week was the staff. Without a doubt I have never met a group of more unproffesional people in my life. From security to housecleaning they never failed to dissapoint with their abundance of rudeness and inability to handle the simplest of tasks. Next time ill save my money and stay at home.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank rofltre
Brisbane
Reviewed April 26, 2010

I recently stayed in a 3 bedroom sub penthouse at Mantra on Cavill Av. It was the best night ever. We had no issues checking in, was fast and friendly. The room was AMAZING we were on level 65 and had a 270 degree view of the ocean and hinterland. The room was clean very modern and MASSIVE!!!!! It was larger then a house. The pool area was great too. The postion it the best right on cavill Av. Walk to everything. I will be staying here again for sure!!!!

Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank Allaysin
Melbourne
Reviewed April 15, 2010

We took a group of teenagers to Gold Coast to celebrate my daughters 18th. We booked 2 apartments at the hotel. Both of them (1 bedroom and 2 bedroom) were fantastic - modern, funky, clean, with stunning views. The girls stayed in a 2 bedroom place where they had views for both sides, the hotel is built very cleverly so they utilize the location to the max. The kitchen in the apartment was so inspiring that the girls bought some ingredients to cook something so they would use the equipment!!!
Despite the very central location of the hotel, we couldn't hear any street noise. I appreciated that even more after another trip, when I stayed in a different place (very close by) and couldn't sleep.
I would stay at this place any time if I am back to Surfers.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank NowCallAustraliaHome
NeilMunro, Resort Manager at Mantra Circle on Cavill, responded to this review, April 22, 2010
Thank you for your positive feedback on your recent stay, we are glad that your daughter's 18th Birthday was a success.

I hope you have the opportunity to come back and enjoy Manta Circle on Cavill sometime soon in the future

rusjd
Reviewed April 7, 2010

My partner and decided to plan a trip to the Gold Coast as a prelude to the my partner's performance in the Australian Piping Championships. After lenghty review of the hotels/apartments I decided on the Mantra Circle on Cavill.

Side Note: I booked the Ocean View Spa Room (which guarentees level 20 or above views from the room and spa) via Wotif.com.au. Foolishly i did not check Mantra's website directly before making my booking. As it turns out for a 4 night duration I could have saved $325 had I booked with Mantra directly. Having made this discovery on the Sunday I contacted Wotif first thing Monday morning. They told me to contact Mantra directly as it was beyond their control. (having a understanding of 3rd party service provider relationships) I did so dutifully. Only to be thrown back and forth about 3 more time. Eventually i wrote a formal email of complaint to Mantra. No response. 3 days later I followed up another email address and received an immediate response. The matter was quickly resolved and the money refunded. Be warned Wotif DO NOT always have the cheapest prices!

After all of this we finally arrived on a Sunday night 28th of March. I was very impressed with the speedy checkin and appearance of the reception foyer. I suddenly felt very confident with my booking. After easily parking the car in Mantra parking (which was free) we proceeded to the room (20th Floor, 1 BD Apartment). We walked into the room and it was freezing. This is coming from Melbournians! Maybe this was a display of care? Not a worry the control was easy to navigate - easily fixed.

The room was new, however upon closer inspection became clear that not only was it not very well kept but it has witness many schoolies parties. The windows were covered in finger marks, internal and external. Where cleaning of the windows had been attempted there were sponge/cloth smear marks. The glass covering the balcony above us appeared to have streaks from vomit or equivallent liquid streaks.

Coffee and lamp table surfaces were worn, the outdoor table's legs were bent, lamps where crooked and 4 light globes were blown (including the only balcony light). Worryingly, some light fittings in the kitchen actually appeared to have exploded. Oddly the smoke alarm was covered by a plastic bag. The ocean view was quite obstructed by cranes and contcrete skeletons of the new Hitlon and Soul Towers (which will ultimately block most views from the lower level apartments). Further to this was the noise. The noise was horrendous! It was as if you were sitting in the street outside of one of the nightclubs. By night it was that, then by day it was cranes and contruction. Admittedly the Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights were quiter and noise on Sunday finished up around 4am. However, if you're expecting Sunday night to be quiet it certainly is not! Unfortunately the noise was heard even with the doors and windows shut (some of which were unlocked or open when we arrived). Having said that the beds were clean and comfortable. The Spa ocean view was via a glass window that saw straight through the bedroom to the windows on the ocean side. The glass window between the spa also contained the shower and toilet. No locks on doors or cover. So if you feel like inviting a couple of friends around ensure you inform them when you are going to use the toilet!

The following morning it was obvious that the rest of the building does not take a whole lot of pride in its appearance. After roaming through the building it seemed all of the exterior windows are dirty (perhaps the salty air?) and the elevator floors, walls and doors are covered in chewing gum/related gunk, hand and finger prints.

All in all Its not that the place is horrible, its just not wonderful. I would probably stay there again but only with friends or if i had children otherwise there is an obvious lack of warmth/soul and attention to detail is minimal.

Then again, our experience at Mantra was very much a reflection of our experience of the Gold Cost as a whole. We will be unlikely travel to the Gold Coast again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rusjd
NeilMunro, General Manager at Mantra Circle on Cavill, responded to this review, April 22, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay.

It disappoints me to learn that you encountered several issues during your stay. I have addressed all of your points with the managers and staff

Apologies for the less than ideal ideal stay with us, should you wish to return to the Gold Coast again, I certainly would like to have the opportunity to have you stay with us again.

Neil Munro
Newcastle
Reviewed April 3, 2010

Not very impressed with the hotel. We found it very difficult to find due to lack of signage. We rang the hotel and they battled to help us even though we were a block away. When your in the carpark there are very limited spots, as it is a private residence as well it is very hard to find a spot, even in quiet times. When we actually got ot the room, the bathroom wasn't spotless and the bathmat had a hole in it. The main bedroom curtains had small red dots on them which to me looked like splattered blood. Things that were supposed to be in the room that were mentioned in the guest directory were not present, for example take away menus, hairdryer, tea and coffee etc. Iaked for more towels and a hairdryer and had to ring again the morning to have one sent. As others have saud the couch and the bed were very hard and the linen left a lot to be desired. Overall I was disappointed. It was a lot of careless things that could have been rectified for a great stay. Iv'e stayed in a lot of Mantra hotels before, but i really wasn't impressed. It put a huge downer on our trip, especially when your paying three hundred dollars a night to stay there.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Simonelee81
NeilMunro, Manager at Mantra Circle on Cavill, responded to this review, April 22, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay.

I apologise for the lack of signage, it is certainly a high priority for us and currently sits awaiting Council approval, which we are hopeful of getting soon.

With regards to the items in your room, I have taking this up with Housekeeping with in turn have addressed these with the staff.

I apologise that your stay wasnt up to the expectations that we are renowned for at Mantra Circle on Cavill, and I hope we get the opportunity to accommodate you on your next visit.

Please feel free to contact me direct if you wish to discuss your stay in more detail.

Neil Munro
Ipswich, Australia
Reviewed March 10, 2010

We stayed at the Mantra with my husband's social club as we got a very good deal on a 2 bedroom apartment. The hotel is located in a very good location and a short distance to the beach. Didn't seem to be any decent restaurants though all fast food places Unfortunatley, we didn't get to use the beach due to the Tsunami warning. Our 2 bedroom apartment was great with lots of features and the ensuite spa bath was fantastic. The view was OK but rather disappointing to look at cranes on other building being built. Toiletries were lacking with only 1 shampoo allocated for a family of four. Swimming pool and spa was lovely, unfortunately the communal sauna smelled too much and women's sauna I didn't appreciate the large cockroach running about. Service at Reception was rather slow lots of people checking out and only 1 person to deal with them. All in all I would stay again at the hotel but only because we get such a great deal wouldn't pay the prices they are asking.

Stayed February 2010, traveled with family