“Not impressed”

Mantra Circle on Cavill
Ranked #6 of 31 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Reviewed January 25, 2013

What a shame and how sad that hotels deteriorate so quickly. I had stayed here two years ago and it was clean and well run. This time around it was dirty and we called management up to see it as soon as we arrived. what appeared to be dried possibly vomit on bedroom curtains, dust in all the vents, drawer fronts missing, kitchen bench smeared with grease and didnt look as though it had been vacuumed. We called housekeeping twice for a coffee plunger and eventually a rusty one was brought up to us. Just not worth a four star rating at all. would not recommend to any of our friends.

Room Tip: good view from north tower of the sea on level 14 and not noisy
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank toby1knobe
Katie S, General Manager at Mantra Circle on Cavill, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Hi toby1knobe

Thank you for your feedback. I will share your experience with the team to ensure we learn from your review. It sounds like we made a mistake with the apartment you were allocated being presented to you when quite clearly it was not cleaned and inspected by one of our dedicated Housekeeping Team. It is good to note that we attended to you immediately and sighted the issues and resolved these promptly with you.

Thank you for your traveller tip on the ocean view from the high floors.

Katie Scholes

Write a ReviewReviews (3,560)

Reviewed January 24, 2013

I should of had an inkling what this property was about as i was in Surfers Paradise on the 17th December as my Dad had passed away that day and with my mum said I would pop in to the hotel to see what we would be getting and by mistake went into the security part of the hotel and when I asked the guy where I should go he was rude & abrupt and said " if you can read it say's Reception over there and pointed "

I had to have a laugh at the managment comments on here about letting them know of problems !!! THEY DO NOT RESPOND TO COMPLAINTS LODGED WITH THEM.
I had previously stayed at the Mantra @ Ettalong NSW so had no worries or concerns when booking this holiday but sadly I should have !! I booked to stay from the 28th December 2012 - 4th January 2013 in an ocean view 2 bedroom apartment on the 43rd floor paying an absolute fortune !!!! Well it started with only offered one car space after handing over $4500.00 to stay a week (had to pay $16 per day extra).
Then being promised on booking direct through Mantra a sofa bed for my son, on arrival found only a lounge with the excuse of they are fully booked and sorry for the mixup & the offer of a dodgy pull out camp sofa ( i asked for a mattress on the floor). Approached staff for an extra set of keys as i had four teenage kids with me and two weren't enough (even offered to pay for an extra set to make it easier) NOPE !! can't help you on that. Staff were RUDE and made you feel like you where bothering you them.
Well the location and views this unit had were awesome but thats where it stopped. The cleanliness of this property has a lot to be desired for a property with the rating it has. I am a clean person and hence choosing a property with the star rating it has !! But they should sack the cleaners because my 16 year old son can clean better than them. Cleaners only came when they felt like it, if at all. A cleaner knocked on our door early in the stay to take a vacuum & never returned it. rang reception on a number of occasions to ask for the cleaners to come but never seen them, then had a call mid stay from reception to ask if a full clean had been completed but it hadn't so she said it would be done that day. Well we returned that night to find all that they had done was replenish the dishwashing supply, take the rubbish & give us new towels folded and placed on dirty vanities !!!!!!!!
At no point did the unit get a full clean, Kitchen/bathrooms where not done, floors not mopped and floors not vacuumed. This is unacceptable in this quality of hotel.
I checked out on the 4th January very dissappointed on the money I had wasted staying here. As I had previously stayed at Q1 and did not have any problem there at all and very happy with the total service I received, I had expected the same from the Mantra Circle on Cavill.
I lodged a written complaint on check out myself & also the gentleman that checked me out said he would personally note on the system my complaint but as of todays date 25/01/13 have not heard from this hotel. It obviously appears to me that customer satisfaction is not high on the agenda for this hotel !!!!!!

I have been back up to the Gold Coast after this stay for my Dad's Memorial and stayed at the Silvershore Holiday Appartments @ Biggera Waters and for the $150 per night I paid compared to the $600 for your hotel it was far superior. I work hard for my money and this was a well earned luxury for me but as far as I'm concerned it was the worst case of throwing away good money !!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank DSW225

Dear DSW225

I would really like to hear from you directly so I can thoroughly investigate the issues from your stay. We keep detailed logs of all of our guest requests and solutions and I would really like to follow up on how we let you down so much during your stay.

I can be contacted at circle.res@mantra.com.au I hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

I made our booking directly with Mantra - over the phone and had the most pleasant experience! However, the staff at front desk were a total different kettle of fish. The attendant that checked us both in & out had one of those fake fake FAKE smiles on, wasn't very informative or helpful, and spoke to me as if i was stupid. You can imagine how annoyed I was after a ten hr drive and having to deal with her!

Sleep-deprived, and exhausted we marched up to our 29th floor apartment to find the most amazing view and our spirits immediately lifted!! No words can describe our view, so i will just leave you with a photo. The other details of the room are briefly described below:

The bed - extremely comfortable
The couch - quite comfortable to sleep on too
Bathrooms - clean, good shower, towels not shabby
Kitchen - good fridge, good sized kitchen

Housekeeping could have been better, we stayed for a total of 4 nights. We got fresh towels everyday - because we chased the housekeeping ladies down, but our sheets weren't changed at all (the beds were remade though)

Location - Fantastic! If you catch the lift down to the concourse or the circle - that takes you directly to the entrance of woolies, and you wont have to go around to the lobby.
Its in a prime location with Orchid Avenue only about 5 minute walk, beach within 10 minute walk.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jas L

Thank you Jas L for your fair and balanced review for other future readers. We have a fantastic team on the front desk and I really don't think they were intentionally being fake towards you, I am sorry that this was your perception. Thankfully the view and apartment forgave the check in process for you and I am pleased to read your helpful comments on your apartment and stay. A few people get a bit confused with the expectations of a fully serviced apartment versus a hotel. We offer a daily mini service of fresh towels and amenities and bed making and for week stays we offer a mid stay linen change. This is all detailed at the time of your reservation. Just thought I would clear that up for anyone that would perceive from this review that our Housekeeping service was not completed. Check the details of your booking for the services included and as you noted, we are happy to offer additional towels when you chase us down the corridor and ask us! Thank you Jas L, hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Just left there very disappointed...one bedroom apartment the walls were filthy...the mirrored sliding doors on wardrobe were covered in prints...don't think carpet is vacuum after each guest
..would never stay or recommend the hotel
.."pick up your standard mantra" or remove some stars...first time in my life i have complained so publicly !!!!

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank capari1
Katie S, General Manager at Mantra Circle on Cavill, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Capri1, we are so sorry you felt the need to complain so publicly. I am extremely sorry that you left the property upset and disappointed. I review Tripadvisor daily and take all of the feedback extremely seriously both positive and negative. Positive, it’s great to hear from guests that have a great time so you can share your experiences with other guests. Negative reviews are really difficult to resolve as the details given are limited. Please, talk to us whilst you are here, we would love to be given the opportunity to fix anything that is not right and in this case we would have offered you a room move to a room that was up to the right standard and we would have investigated why the room you received was not up to the usually high Mantra Standard.

I hope this helps other travellers.
Sorry again, please give us another chance!

Katie Scholes - General Manager

Reviewed January 20, 2013

Just finished a week long stay in a one bedroom spa apartment and can i say, it exceeded my expectations. After reading everyones reviews prior to my stay, i was very doubtful about the quality and service of the hotel. But as we walked in, i was completely in shock to not only the view from the 42nd floor, but the immense space available throughout the entire apartment!
we were lucky enough to receive a corner room on the North tower, which meant that not only did we get the city/river view we paid for, but we also got the ocean view.

Sure there were a few things that could have been improved, but you'd really have to be someone who's that fussy that you could have gone down to woolworths (which is just at the door of the North tower) and bought yourself a table cloth. Or just ask housekeeping, who tended to everything we needed and brought up things we requested.

Location was perfect and facilities were not as terrible as everyone seems to make it out to be. Loved being able to sit by the pool in the north tower and watching the Australian Open on the big screen located on the circle and loved the view sitting in the spa on the south tower pool area.

One thing that did frustrate me and a lot of people in the building was the lifts. Not only do they take 15 minutes to get to you, but you walk into them and they are hot and often smelt like sweat and chlorine.

I've always stayed in 4.5-5 star hotels/apartments and although this wasn't the best one i've stayed in, it surely wasnt the worst. Far from it. For the location, the view, the freedom and convenience, the space and the facilities in the room and the building, and for the price we paid. this is definitely my go-to place next time im in surfers.

see you next time Circle on Cavill.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Kaine12

Kaine12 - thank you so much for your positive review! Phew, we really could do with hearing more from all of the people like you who have a great overall experience and don’t know what everyone else is complaining about! Your review was great to read and gave lots of detail and information to other travellers. I also like that you are committed to return and we will see you next time at Circle on Cavill. A Big Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

My family and I were very happy with this place. Lovely helpful staff, free parking. Hotel lobby is clean bright and very modern. The room... Fantastic! 32nd floor, the view, WOW. Clean room, ultra modern, just was a pleasure to stay there for 5 days. Fresh clean towels every day. Really, there is alot more that I could say, but you need to check this place out for yourself. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank aligirl4

aligirl4, you have made my day with your review and gorgeous photo with the view from your apartment on level 32. We really appreciate your 5 star review and your recommendation for others to give us a go!! As you said; you loved it and we loved having you stay with us.

See you next time.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

10 day stay completed 18 Jan 2013. New building, good location if you like the proximity of a small mall under your hotel. Location is the only good point to this complex. We stayed in 2 apartments (2 x 2) - big family. The comments are common to both apartments. The check-in was fine. The apartments are of a good size, surprisingly run down (the furnishings in the lounge are at a level of an op-shop. Sofas are aged and similar to what I owned in my student flat many years ago. Other furnishings are water stained and the laminates pealing off. The dining table chairs are stained - one of our group (weighs 70kg) had the experience of the chair snapping in half spontaneously whilst sitting at the dining table eating his meal. This resulted in a whiplash injury (sore neck, headache - etc). A complaint was made to management who responded by sending up a $2.50 box of chocolates and a similar chair!
Moving on...pool complex is dull nad poorly maintained. Gym is adequate, just but has little ventilation and stinks. Kids play area is dirty and facility rudimentary.
Conclusion - This is a poor choice for families. It is poorly managed - the staff you meet do NOT CARE. The rooms are run down. The general facility has major maintenance issues. There are better hotels within a stonesthrow of this one. If staying in the hotel is important to you please note that this facility will only inspire you to leave it! AVOID!

Room Tip: Find a different hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Patrick1912

Dear Patrick1912

Well, what can I say in response to your review except that all reviews are independent reviews and should not be taken literally by future travellers researching accommodation. We have clearly made some big mistakes throughout your stay and for this we sincerely apologise. We do recall the chair incident and followed this up with you at the time. The follow up note, chocolates and replacement chair was not for insult and we apologise if this was your impression. We have many families staying at the resort that enjoy the facilities, games room, swimming pools and theatrette. We will take your feedback on board about the playground area as we are looking at improving this area currently. Thank you for your feedback.