“Good location. Nothing else.”

The Sands Holiday Apartments
Reviewed January 21, 2012

My partner and I stayed at the sands just recently, for five nights. When we arrived we were met with a building which appeared a lot more run down than what the website images would have you believe. We walked into the front foyer after buzzing to get into the car park numerous times. We were met with the manager, who I believe is called Lynne. Lynne had the counter closed and advised us that she was having lunch. We were eventually checked in and required to leave a bond of $350, which we had not previously been made aware of. This was the least of our problems.

When we walked into our apartment,  things really started going down hill. We had to force the front door closed and push back the lock which was broken. there were a lot of small issues such as: cobwebs on the bedroom ceiling, pubic hair in the shower, apartments internal doors not closing properly, bathroom tap was extremely hard to turn off and continued to overflow during our stay, shower door did not close properly, toilet would not always flush and when it would there was a foul sewerage smell which flooded the room, towels provided smelt of moulde and had to be washed before use, and the apartment pool was extremely small.

We were pleased to see that we had a beautiful view of the beach and the location of the apartment couldn't have been better. The kitchen and laundry facilities were pleasing. Because of these reasons, we decided to remain in the apartment and deal with the other minor issues.

On our first night we went to sleep only to be woken up by construction work at 7am, which was happening in the building car park. It was soo loud that we couldn't get back to sleep. We were on the third floor. This continued everyday except sat/sun during our stay.
The final straw was on our fourth day, we received a phone call at 10.09am from Lynne abruptly stating that we were due to check out at 10am and new guests were waiting to check in. We advised lynne that we had booked five nights accommodation to which she was amazed. Lynne said she would confirm this and ring us back but we didn't hear from her again.

All in all, we were surprised that this apartment has a rating of 3.5 stars. If you are after good location and views this apartment has got it, but don't expect ANYTHING else. It is cheaper in price and we now know why. I would never stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2012
9  Thank RayandMel

Reviewed January 19, 2012

For such a good location and cheap simple accomodation, the onsite manager makes you out to be a crimianl from the outset. Pay $100 -$200 more somewhere else and you will not regret it. The manager will try and scam more money out of you for the littlest piece of what we call customer service. Customer service is SEVERELY LACKING at this place. Most of all do not take kids.
Such a shame for a great location marred by such a narrow minded onsite manager. I think every camera in the place becomes her inhome entertainment which is very creepy!!!!
We were watched after 10.00pm in the carpark and reminded of our entrance the next day at 4.00pm????? Weird.. Too long in the job battling the surfers crowds that she thinks everyone is out for a party and cause strife, time to get a life.
BUT if you want cheap accomodation with a presentable half dodgey joint then run the go for it, but if you like friends to visit for the day then BEWARE as the day is long you WILL be grilled!!!!

Room Tip: Go 2 bedroom minimum
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank lizzy Z
Reviewed August 10, 2011

We actually went in 2003 but I was not on Trip Advisor then and we really enjoyed our Australia visit so I thought i would add the places we stayed in if I could remember! After a one night stay in a Hostel in Brisbane (Can't remember the hostel name but it wasn't anything special) we were excited to pull up in front of this place that was right on the main drag looking out onto the ocean... The apartment we rented was perfect! It was clean and roomy with in suite laundry... The pool was nice and quiet (although we spent most of our time on the beach!). Overall i'm not sure if it is still run by the same people but it was a great place to stay!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 29, 2011

I booked my brother into this place, after looking at all the photos on the website we thought WOW what a beautiful place to stay, and so cheap, as I helped him book in, the receptionst was very rude to us by saying "there should only be one person staying in this room at all times" looking at me, I will be watching who comes in and out of this room, It felt like if my brother was a criminal, then to make it even worse, we got up to the room, the apartment smelt like molde, there where cockroches everywhere, the toilet wasn't cleaned properly, the shower had molde everywhere, I could go on forever, honestly I wouldn't even let my little House Dog stay in this place it was discusting. I would never reccomend anybody to stay at The Sands, " You Pay Cheap, You Get Cheap" Dont ever Look at photos that are on the web sites because half the time it's not what your going to expect when you get there..!! I hope this info is usefull to people who are planning on staying there. :(

• Stayed: July 2010
2  Thank Whitz89
Reviewed February 10, 2011

This is a great place to stay. Conveniently located 1 block from Cavill Ave across the road from the beach. Apartment was clean and very spacious. Its a good place to base yourself to visit the attractions on th Gold Coast. Large balcony overlooking the ocean. Ceiling fans in bedrooms and living room. Airconditioning available at additional cost in main bedroom but was unnecessary. Service is minimal but friendly. Considering it was literally a last minute booking one week in advance the cost was quite reasonable - $1590 for 7 nights (5 people). I would certainly recommend this as somewhere to stay.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed January 5, 2011

We recently stayed at the Sands for 9 nights - apart from been ripped off i should have taken advise from other peoples reviews. CONSIDERING YOU CAN STAY AT THE SURFERS ROYAL FOR $25 PER WEEK with a covered pool, spa, games room , which was not available at the time we wanted to stay.
Lynne who is suppose to be the manager worked between 9am and 10am - this is no miss print, you could never get in contact with her the unit was clean however the ceiling fan failed to work for 8 nights, on the 9th night it went on itself? it had a 34cm TV - remote was not working . The lounges were so SOILED and OLD i had to cover them with sheets to sit on them, Also no PHONE available to contact reception,
The pool was only cleaned 1 time during our stay, lynne said that people did not follow the house rules (washing before entering from the beach).
The entry foyer was extremly dirty, infact whist in peak season she decided to have silicon put around the tiles, the stench was horrible.
This apartment only had 1 SMALL pool, no BBQ area, NO SAUNA, NO SPA NO NOTHING
Beautiful views however spoilt with the party that was happening for 3 days straight up on the 10th floor from a permanent tenant.
Oh and if you wanted to take a dip in the pool at 8am good luck trying to find the manager to open it up, there was 4 families waiting at 9am to get in people were knocking on her door, she only responded to the maintenance guy.
When i dropped off the keys on the last day she snached them off me did not thank me or asked how my stay was - I had a 1 bed apartment and spend $1800 for 9 nights.
Overall a big disappointment, fantastic location, views but terrible MANAGEMENT - Dont waist your money staying there we have stayed at the President Apartments and found it CLEANER and Management was approachable.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Lidia80
Reviewed January 10, 2010

I discovered the Sands in 2008 with a friend. We chose it because it was much cheaper than the other apartments. We came back last year because it is a great deal. Very cheap, spacious rooms, clean, beach view... It is not a palace, furnitures are a bit old but it is really not a problem.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends