My partner and I stayed at the sands just recently, for five nights. When we arrived we were met with a building which appeared a lot more run down than what the website images would have you believe. We walked into the front foyer after buzzing to get into the car park numerous times. We were met with the manager, who I believe is called Lynne. Lynne had the counter closed and advised us that she was having lunch. We were eventually checked in and required to leave a bond of $350, which we had not previously been made aware of. This was the least of our problems.
When we walked into our apartment, things really started going down hill. We had to force the front door closed and push back the lock which was broken. there were a lot of small issues such as: cobwebs on the bedroom ceiling, pubic hair in the shower, apartments internal doors not closing properly, bathroom tap was extremely hard to turn off and continued to overflow during our stay, shower door did not close properly, toilet would not always flush and when it would there was a foul sewerage smell which flooded the room, towels provided smelt of moulde and had to be washed before use, and the apartment pool was extremely small.
We were pleased to see that we had a beautiful view of the beach and the location of the apartment couldn't have been better. The kitchen and laundry facilities were pleasing. Because of these reasons, we decided to remain in the apartment and deal with the other minor issues.
On our first night we went to sleep only to be woken up by construction work at 7am, which was happening in the building car park. It was soo loud that we couldn't get back to sleep. We were on the third floor. This continued everyday except sat/sun during our stay.
The final straw was on our fourth day, we received a phone call at 10.09am from Lynne abruptly stating that we were due to check out at 10am and new guests were waiting to check in. We advised lynne that we had booked five nights accommodation to which she was amazed. Lynne said she would confirm this and ring us back but we didn't hear from her again.
All in all, we were surprised that this apartment has a rating of 3.5 stars. If you are after good location and views this apartment has got it, but don't expect ANYTHING else. It is cheaper in price and we now know why. I would never stay here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- One and two bedroom fully self contained apartments with washing machine and drier and ironing facilities. Ceiling fans, television and balcony overlooking the beautiful ocean of Surfers Paradise and beach. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, getaroom.com, Priceline, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your The Sands Holiday Apartments reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Sands Holiday Apartments Hotel Surfers Paradise
- The Sands Holiday Apartments Gold Coast/Surfers Paradise