“Great value”

Leichhardt Hotel Rockhampton
Ranked #29 of 35 Hotels in Rockhampton
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Stayed here overnight and found it to be great value for money. I was traveling with my Dad and the staff went out of there way to find an extension cord for his sleep apnea machine thank-you. Our overnight room rate was very reasonable and included a hearty breakfast. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Leichhardt Hotel Rockhampton

Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

Very friendly staff, lack of parking an issue, a bit of reassurance with police station across road. First room had a noisey a/c was moved into another room, couldn't locate remote for TV and both lamps globes blown. Little issues that easily rectified. Can tell it's an old joint, food good and tasty had everything we needed. Would stay again of visiting rocky again

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I have previously reviewed the Leichhardt and after having stayed here for 3 nights in Sept '13, thought I should write again. The hotel really hasn't changed much, however, I did encounter some issues with the showers and the beds. The showers are temperamental at best and the drain in the bath does not empty very quickly, leaving pools of water in the bath whilst showering. I have actually stayed here several times since my last review and have noticed this in many of the rooms.

I also noticed a couple of the beds of late are getting a bit old and resemble a hammock i.e., high on each side and rather low in the middle. That being said, the cleanliness of the rooms and price is reasonable and the service of staff was professional.

I would still stay here if I return to Rockhampton, but the rooms do need a little attention to bring them back up to standard.

Room Tip: Try to get one away from the lifts, the bell when the lift arrives is loud and can be heard through...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Wanted to stay in the CBD and this looked as good as any of the others.
An older hotel that has been renovated not too recently. The room was clean and quiet even though it was on the street front. Very hard to park in the carpark so parked on the street where there was plenty of room.
Okay for an overnight stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I have mixed feelings about this place because the staff were so insanely friendly and helpful that I want to give them a better review. The strength in terms of this venue really was the people working there. I stayed here because the company I work for booked me in here and was running a conference here that I spoke at.

My room was nice enough, although I did find the red and black a bit kind of, I don't know, brothel like. Maybe that's just my interpretation, but it seems a bit out dated or something. I was on the third floor and there was a very, very odd smell in the corridor, like urine or something, but I couldn't smell it in my room which was good. The room was nice and big. I would have preferred a lounge over the little one seater chairs that are pretty uncomfortable. The bed was pretty average in terms of comfort but I've slept on worse. The room itself was very clean and the air-conditioning, although a little loud, did a good job as it was pretty cold at night. The TV wasn't the best quality, but again it was acceptable. The bathroom was nice and clean and had a tub too (I always like rooms with a tub for a soak).

I tried to order room service on Sunday night and they said they don't do that as they have a roast. This surprised me. I was here for a conference and my days consisted of meetings and presentations so I wanted some down time. The last thing I wanted was to dine in the dining room and have to talk to people.

Breakfast in the dining room was nice. Again, the staff were so incredibly friendly. The scrambled eggs looked like they were made from a powdered mix but the poached eggs were great and the coffee was okay.

In terms of the conference, again the staff were so awesome. You just couldn't fault them. Every single person I had any dealings with was excellent and super friendly. The food they served for lunch and morning tea was nice enough.

Overall it was a good stay. If it wasn't for the amazingly nice staff I might not have been so happy. It would be good to work out what on earth the smell in the corridor was (other people staying on that floor complained of the same smell) and room service every night would be a bonus.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Geoffreyallan
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I stayed here 21 years ago when this was an ageing grand country hotel.

I was very impressed at the time as you could save a bit of your travel allowance and yet you got a reasonably nice room. And it had a clothes line so you could dry your washed out smalls.
Anyhoo... the years have gone by and the place has been refurbished and someone said it was still the place to stay.

It has been refitted yet there are holes in the wall and the paint is bubbling in parts. The clothes line has disappeared from the bath room.

Bed is okay. Breakfast is ordinary.

don't think I will back

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank AllisonjaneBrisbane
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed as a family of four overnight as I had to find somewhere at the last minute to cater for a family of 4. The reception was good and quick. No undercover parking and it is a bit hit and miss if you get a park in the carpark. There is a bottle shop right next door so a constant stream of cars coming in and out. The room was clean but a bit like what you would imagine a Kings Cross brothel to look like - red and black decor. The bed was a large king size and the pull out sofa was adequate for two kids aged 12. There was a sink and microwave and small fridge. The bathroom was clean and adequate.
We dined in the restaurant and had friends join us so there was around 18 people altogether including children. To say the food was substandard would be generous. It was absolutely appalling. We thought the waitress seemed stoned and we could smell a distinctive smell emanating from her.
All in all the room was quiet enough even though there was a full house according to the receptionist. Nothing ghastly but just not up to standard with the bigger city hotels. We definitely won't be dining here again and probably won't be staying again unless we are in need of last minute accommodation. The Leichhardt is in dire need of a repaint and overhaul to get it up to the standard that is seen in the bigger cities like Brisbane if they are going to charge like Brisbane hotels.

Room Tip: Try to get one as far away from the lifts as possible as they are old and noisy.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family