“fine room, not so great service”

Travelodge Hotel Rockhampton
Ranked #9 of 35 Hotels in Rockhampton
dublin
“fine room, not so great service”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We booked to stay in this hotel through virgin holidays. It was a great price and a clean, comfortable room. Yes our view sucked, but that wasn't important to us. The bathroom is starting to age a little, but it was perfectly serviceable and there were no hot water problems - and I took a very long shower. The bed was comfortable, even for my pregnant sensibilities.

The reason why I am rating this as a three is the service. Checking in was slow. My mother had called twice to arrange and confirm twin beds. There was only a king bed in our room. My Mum slept on the foldout sofa which she said was comfortable (she's not very picky).

I left my phone charger in the room (my fault). I knew exactly where it was and what it looked like. It took 6 phone calls over four days to be told it couldn't be located. This included three calls on the day we checked out. Everyone I spoke to was nice, but not helpful. At least the last person I talked to actually called back (the other two people promised to, but didn't).

Anyway, I'm just disappointed that I can't give this a higher rating because of the customer service. Everything else was good for the price.

Room Tip: If you want a twin room, I don't know what advice to give you. Maybe call another three times t...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ughboot
SBarford, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Rockhampton, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Dear ughboot,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your constructive feedback.

Please accept our apologies for the lack of contact regarding you phone charger and the bedding configuration you received. These issues have been raised with both the Front Office and Housekeeping teams.

Travelodge Rockhampton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Booked this hotel online as we had an early morning flight out of Rocky. We were upgraded to a river view room. The room was very comfortable with a balcony overlooking the main entrance, car park and the river. Check in and out was easy no drama. It was a good place to stay for the night.

Room Tip: Sleep with the balcony door closed as the late night noise can be a bit disturbing.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Maz11
Dear Maz11,

The team at Travelodge Rockhampton are glad you enjoyed your stay and we thank you for you positive feedback.

Townsville, Australia
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I stayed here in July and never had any problems with my river view room. I rang the reception to let them know I had my infant son as well as i couldnt seem to put him on the booking and they were helpful and friendly with no problems. Parking is an issue especially at night and when I left my car out on the road, well lets just say the bats had a field day :(. But overall I would stay again, in fact iam heading back down on the 13th to 15th of this month. Just going for the standard room this time so we will see if they are any different i hope not because it would be a shame to ruin the good reputation

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank John S
SBarford, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Rockhampton, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Dear John S,

Thank you for your positive feedback on your recent stay. The Team are also appreciative of your kind comments regarding the service you experienced and we do look forward to welcoming you back this month.

Hotel Manger
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Stayed for 1 night on business during August. Check-in and checkout was efficient and pleasant. Booked one of the “chooseday” specials and did not need to ask for the special which is an improvement on my previous stays here.

The room itself is functional. It had a desk for a good sized workspace with relatively easy access to the power points. A small 2 seater lounge is also provided. I also had a balcony which looked out over the river and the hills beyond which was very pleasant and would suggest asking for as it is a lot more pleasant than the view from the other side of the hotel.

Location is okay. It is about a 10 minute walk into the main CBD which on a hot day (which is most of them) is enough to build up a bit of a sweat.

There is also a gym, small pool and spa should you need them.

Overall, my brief stay was pleasant and met expectations. However, this visit I ate with a small group in the a la carte restaurant. Given that Rocky is the “Beef Capital of Australia” we were underwhelmed by the presentation and cooking of the steaks – they got close to going back but hunger overruled. It was a very quiet night in the restaurant with only a few tables being used but the service was distracted and subsequently slow. With a bit more attention we would probably have ordered another bottle of wine and stayed a little longer but we choose to move to another venue instead.

I will go back to the hotel on future business trips but will not be eating in the restaurant again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view over the river
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Essexboy999
SBarford, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Rockhampton, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear Essexboy999,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Travelodge Rockhampton.

Your constructive feedback is most appreciated and has been discussed with all department heads including the Head Chef and Restaurant Manager.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 8, 2012

My wife and I stayed in a studio at the Travelodge for 1 night as part of a Queensland road trip.

The accommodation standard for a very cheap price was nicely surprising.

We received great service from the staff at every point.

The rooms were big for hotel studios and very clean. Inside the room was very quiet and noise didn’t travel.

We made use of a very good coin laundry on site.

Our only gripe was that the bed was quite hard.

A blessing is disguise was that the on-site breakfast closes at 9.30 but that made us go a couple of doors down to The Edge which provide a great quality and cheaper breakfast with sensational coffee.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a walk in shower if mobility is an issue
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hollc
SBarford, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Rockhampton, responded to this review, September 16, 2012
Dear hollc,

The team at Travelodge Rockhampton are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your warm comments regarding service.

Your honest feedback regarding our breakfast service has also been considered and is appreciated.

NSW
Reviewed September 8, 2012

While my two night stay was a business trip, and not something I personally paid for, the room was over $200 per night, the room was tiny with a view of the roof, and the whole hotel is severly outdated. The food in the hotel was not at all good, although the breakfast was ok. I'm not a food snob, but I do not call grilled Bonocini cheese with sliced tomatoes on toasted bread as Bruschetta.
It was also rather cold in Rocky and there was no blanket to be found at all, and I shouldn't have to call Reception for one.
The bathroom also had a mini-flood because there is no door on the shower, so the shower head can't be moved. The duvet on the bed was also the type in cheap motels, and I hesitated to sit on it. At least in nice hotels they cover the bed with crisp white sheets that look clean.
Like others, I struggle to find anything positive to say except that the staff were nice enough.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank MelMNSW
Dear MelMNSW,

Thank you for your constructive feedback. All items have been discussed with the department heads.

I have shared your positive comment regarding service with the team.

Hotel Manager

Travelers are raving about these Rockhampton hotels

Sydney
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Pulling up in a taxi and seeing this old '60's style motel building, I was adamant that paying almost $200 for a room in central QLD was abit of an ask.
However, check-in was smooth, friendly and efficient, and my room, although having no view other than the carpark facing pool, was bright, modern and spacious.
No complaints about the service.
As I say, good but not great when you can secure a room in a major metro city for less....

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor for a view over the river, rather than the carpark.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank MickeyTraveller
Dear MickeyTraveller,

The team at Travelodge Rockhampton are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your warm comments regarding service.

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back.