“Great night”

Watergate Restaurant & Lounge Bar
Ranked #2 of 125 Restaurants in Port Douglas
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Watergate Restaurant & Lounge Bar is located in the heart of Port Douglas, at the corner of Grant and Macrossan Street behind the Rotary Park. Enter down the flame lit path from Macrossan Street. The restaurant offers both indoor and outdoor dining. Watergate's cuisine is modern Australian. Executive Chef Lee Neate sources fresh, seasonal produce to prepare innovative dishes that reflect contemporary trends in Australian cooking. Opening hours : the restaurant is open for lunch from midday, and dinner is served from 5:30 pm, seven days a week. We also have a light lounge menu available available through the day until late. Watergate also has a well appointed bar, ideal for a cocktail as the sunsets, or maybe a light meal from the lounge menu with a bottle of wine. It is also available for a pre-dinner drink, or desserts and coffee at the end of the night.
Reviewed June 27, 2014

We had an awesome meal here. The menu was well covered and we thoroughly enjoyed our meal. Great service, great setting and superb meal.

1  Thank Diana K

Reviewed June 26, 2014 via mobile

Came here to celebrate my fathers 60th birthday and the food and service was amazing from start to finish they looked after us so well!! Some of the highlight dishes from the night were the pork belly, prawn hot pot, tuna main and pork main. If I ever return I will certainly be going back and recommending to friends.

1  Thank ErynW2311
Reviewed June 25, 2014

We came here for dinner on our last night ( this seems to be a theme reading the reviews!). The setting is stunning and by far the most romantic restaurant we found in Port Douglas. The food also was devine ( the best we had on our trip), we had the pork belly and cuttlefish for entree and the chicken and the pork for main - no room for desert! The only disappointing thing we found was that our waitress and several other of the wait staff (who all seemed really really lovely) had accents so thick and a very poor grasp of English that we almost had several disasters when ordering and speaking to them throughout the night eg almost ended up with drinks we didn't need etc. Despite this, it is well worth coming here for a meal it is delicious!

1  Thank Tracey-Lee S
Reviewed June 24, 2014

Every time I visit this restaurant I am attached by mosquitoes! So be prepared - the staff certainly are, they have several cans of insect repellant ready to go, which is great of them. But it's something to be aware off. It can ruin your dinner! Speaking of which, I've had the Yellow Fin Tuna twice now. The first time I loved it, but the second time my fish was over cooked and there was way too much pickled ginger on my plate, the whole dish was a bit disappointing. I don't know what happened. But more importantly, if you're going to order the Tasting Plate Entree, beware, it costs $38 - a complete rip off, and it wasn't that good. I think I'll try out some other places next time I visit Port Douglas.

2  Thank Cyclonewind
Reviewed June 24, 2014

Been going back there regularly for 10 years its that good & that consistent.
Service headed by Di is outstanding and the Vegetarian Menu is a breath of fresh air given the lack of it in 95% of restaurants.
Do yourself a favour and try them out.

1  Thank Chris t