“My favourite restaurant in Australia so far.....”

Nautilus Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 115 Restaurants in Port Douglas
Cuisines: Australian, International
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Elegant outdoor dining in the tropical rainforest of North Queensland. We specialise in romantic dinners for 2 to group functions and weddings.
Sydney, Australia
“My favourite restaurant in Australia so far.....”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I knew we were in for something special just walking up the dimly lit private pathway to the Nautilus. The restaurant is large and completely open air under the tall palms (the roof can be closed if bad weather). Dining under the stars beneath softly swaying palms in a quiet (no children under 8yrs allowed) atmosphere with fantastic service and beautiful food was just magical!
My husband and I dined at the Nautilus 6 years ago before having children and last year when we returned to Port Douglas for a holiday with our children we knew we had to book a babysitter for just one evening and enjoy this experience again.
We sipped fresh tropical cocktails as we sat in the bar area before being shown to our table for dinner. I had the Coral trout as a main on both visits to Nautilus as it is my favourite fish. The fish was so fresh and cooked in a sweet Thai style.....it is divine!
The extensive wine list has something for everyone and the staff are experienced and helpful.
This is not a cheap dining experience but it is worth every dollar and if you are looking for something special, on both occasions we found it here!
I love good food, good service and a relaxed romantic atmosphere........It has the lot and is still my favourite restaurant in Australia to date.

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank HayleyMoriarty

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Simply Out of this world”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

My Husband and I celebrated our 2nd wedding anniversary at Nautilus and it was one of the best restaurants we've experienced. We are world travellers and hubby is very particular about food, fish in especially as he loves to fish. We started the evening with a lovely cocktail in a quiet tranquil setting, we were then taken to a beautiful intimate table, where they had put a certificate congratulating us on our anniversary, little details and sentiments like this are few and far between in most establishments. Our waitress, Katie, was attentive and informative and very friendly. Our meals from start to finish we're simply amazing! Fresh tasty ingredients that made for fantastic food. We will definitely be back the next time we visit Port Douglas. Do your selves a favour and book in if you're in the area. Thank you Nautilus for a wonderful evening

1 Thank KateandKane
“Good food ,top end price but ...”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

The first page of the menu put me off a bit. They had two rules: no mobile phones and no screaming kids. Sounds good, except this isn't always possible and the atmosphere made me feel uncomfortable just using Facebook on my phone, let alone receiving a call. O, and I don't like to be told what I *can't* do by someone I'm paying when I haven't done anything wrong yet.

The restaurant itself makes u feel like u are actually in the rainforest. They have sails to keep out the rain, but other than that ur eating amongst the trees.

The food was tasty, but portions are hit and miss. My entree was ok, but over priced for what it was. My partners entree was way over priced and way too small at the same time. The mains were good, tasty but again the portions were off.

Overall, this restaurant rides on its atmosphere and ambience rather than excellent food, and expect to pay with either a limb or your first born.

2 Thank SilentKrisChef
“Best Restaurant Atmosphere in Port Douglas”
Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

Nautilus combines its rainforest atmosphere with excellent food and service. Our table was only a metre from forest trees & vines - there is nothing to match this in Port Douglas. There was a brief tropical downpour during the meal but not a drop fell on us thanks to the very effective covers high up in the trees. The rain just added to the ambience!

My wife and I had "Reef & Beef" - prawns and tender fillet steak, a delicious main. Then we both had the Nautilus specialty of "Mango Souffle" which was absolutely terrific.

The prices were somewhat higher than at other restaurants in town but because of the excellence of the venue, food and service we felt it was worth paying a little more.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Max A
Monte-Carlo, Monaco
“Incredible surroundings, great food, good service”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We had an amazing meal here on our recent trip to Port Douglas. The surroundings in the rain forest type setting are just amazing, helped of course by the incredible climate. The food was absolutely superb and the service was very good. It is a must visit place in Port Douglas in my view and while expensive, worth every penny. Absolutely top class.

1 Thank Wills1e