“Excellent service...food not as good”

Nautilus Restaurant
Ranked #13 of 130 Restaurants in Port Douglas
Cuisines: Australian, International
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Elegant outdoor dining in the tropical rainforest of North Queensland. We specialise in romantic dinners for 2 to group functions and weddings.
Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

The atmosphere of this restaurant is lovely as it is in a beautiful outside dining area with lots of room between tables. The service we had was excellent, attentive and knowledgeable! The cocktails were also fantastic. We had entree main and dessert. The entree was small and the flavours could've been better but it was decent. The mains were decent but the seafood was nothing fantastic could've used more seasoning or something and I don't like salty food. The dessert was pretty good, I've had worse and I've had better. So if it wasn't for the atmosphere, fantastic service and cocktails, this place wouldn't hit above average.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,822)

Reviewed August 8, 2013

Yes, the setting and service is beautiful but the food is far from great. If you want to do Thai, do it properly. The spring rolls were soggy and drenched in store bought sweet chilli sauce, the duck dumplings had so much store bought Hoi Sin on them that you couldn't taste the duck and an Asian slaw with a creamy dressing??? I have certainly never had that in Thailand. There are much better options in PD.

3  Thank CandDOS
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Good food. Great staff. Great atmosphere. Anybody who has a problem with the price remember this is a resort town. 41 dollar AUS mains you really get what you pay for! Duck three ways a must! They produce their own duck prosciutto AWESOME! I was recommended it by a friend and I would recommend it myself. Thanks guys!

1  Thank QTD
Reviewed August 4, 2013

An absolute must to do in Port Douglas.
The food was perfect, three of us dined and every meal was amazing.
The service was probably the best I have ever encountered, there was no waiting for food or wine, it all just kept flowing without being pushy at all.
The surroundings are beautiful, you really feel like you are in the middle of the rainforest.
Access could be a bit daunting for some, my son uses a wheelchair and I was unsure of how we could get in, the staff were fantastic, could not have been more helpful.
We used the back entrance but you do still have to get down a few stairs that may be a problem for some.
Well worth the effort though

Reviewed August 3, 2013

Booked our reservation on line months in advance, as was a supprise 40th wedding anniversary dinner for my husband ,Jeanette from Nautilus was my ally she kept me up to date & I called her when we arrived at Port Douglas to confirm our booking as she had asked.We sipped on a perfectly made cocktail before being seated at our amazing private table under the trees & open night sky..we chose the Chefs Tasting menu with wines.. ,we have dinned at Marque & other hatted reastaurants in Sydney & this meal was amazing especially the the "warm seafood jar"The last course of" beef four ribs" was the most disappointing a bit to heavy & sweet..but the wine .."Henschke Keyneton 2009" got my forgiveness !! The added touch of a congratulations for our ruby anniversary scroll on the table & the friendly wait staff who were there only when you needed them made our anniversary a memory that we will treasure !!!