“Great Location”
Review of On The Inlet

On The Inlet
Ranked #10 of 117 Restaurants in Port Douglas
Cuisines: Seafood, Australian
Good for: Scenic view, Families with children, Special occasions, Kids, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: We welcome you to join us at On The Inlet: Port Douglas' iconic seafood restaurant + bar located over the beautiful Coral Sea. We're here to tantalise your taste buds with the finest fresh local seafoods and an inspiring tropical cocktail list in Port Douglas' most enviable waterside location (reservations highly recommended)
Hoi An, Vietnam
“Great Location”
Reviewed July 19, 2014

It pays to get there early for a seat, we actually booked a few days before hand. We enjoyed a meal on the deck and waited for George the Giant Groper to come up at 5 for feeding. There were too many people to get a good look. The food and location made up for that though as it is the perfect spot to witness the sunset.

Visited July 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Seminyak, Indonesia
“Superb views and A class arrogant service!”
Reviewed July 19, 2014

I visited on the Inlet twice in the past week...the restaurant has a great spot on the water and best time to get there is on sunset.our waiter the first time was quite pushy ..came across as arrogant and pushed the crispy whole coral trout like they had too many out back and needed to move some stock...appreciate the recommendation but enough already!!overall food was good and view made up for pushy service..went back few days later and bar staff also quite off hand...think the male wait staff could do with refresher on hospitality basics and making customers number one priority ..groper never appeared on both occasions and no attempt to feed...gimmick?anyway go for views but tin shed up the road also good views and half price

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank Maxine H
Jayne M, Public Relations Manager at On The Inlet, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Hi Maxine,
Thanks for your review.
Gosh, there’s definitely never enough coral trout!
But it is a true favourite dish , and a wonderful experience to enjoy at On The Inlet-I’m sorry if you felt the genuine recommendation was pushy.
We’re pleased to hear you came to visit a second time…Our resident groper is wild, not a gimmicky zoo creature- he comes and goes as he pleases.
On behalf of our bar staff, please accept my apologies. I’m not sure what they were doing if they were not attending to our guest’s needs and desires-they are usually very passionate about their profession.
The views from the Tin Shed are truly lovely too, with a different style of dining that may suit some guests more than On The Inlet-we’re happy to share the love!
Sydney, Australia
“Perfect for lunch!”
Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

This is our second lunch at On the Inlet. Love it here with the relaxed atmosphere and amazing views. The food is also pretty good. We had the chilli pepper calamari for entree which was very tender and just the right balance of flavours. Mains were the Tuna steak with chat potatoes and a sauce Provençal. The steak was thick and cooked perfectly medium/rare. The flash fried baby barramundi was delicious and combined well with the Asian slaw and well balanced Thai style sauce. Maybe a bit too sweet but it worked. Service was attentive, friendly and helpful. The ambience is relaxed, a perfect way to spend an afternoon.

Port Stephens, Australia
“Excellent seafood”
Reviewed July 16, 2014

This restaurant is ideally positioned on the inlet as the name implies
Here you can enjoy the beautiful reef fish from the area. We enjoyed the coral trout with a nice glass of wine
There was barramundi and red emperor available also
The menu offers other meal styles , including steak also

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank john a
Melbourne, Australia
“dont bother”
Reviewed July 12, 2014

I lived in far north Queensland for around 8 years, and On the Inlet was always one of my favourite restaurants in Port Douglas. Sunday On The Inlet was legendary. Sparksy & duo were great entertainment, guitar playing and singing. The food was great with a bucket of prawns and a beer. I used to dine there both lunch and dinner - always great. Employed local people with a sound knowledge of food and beverage. Returned in April 2014 after about a 9 year gap - what happened? Went for lunch with my partner, no booking, but no-one there. Asked for a table on the waters edge, was told they were all booked out. We sat there close to 2 hours, no one showed up for those tables. The American-Canadian manager (?) was not helpful at all.
After taking our order, and pouring our first glass of wine that was it.

THE FOOD ...I ordered pan fried sardines and my partner ordered the prawns. My sardines were barely cooked with hardly any colour to them, and my partners prawns were basically acceptable but she noted that several in the bowl were old and scaly - personally I would class them as off.
I don't know what's happened to this place, but to the owners I would recommend you employ some local people and chefs who know what they are doing. Sorry, but it was terrible.

• Visited April 2014
5 Thank Brett P
Jayne M, Public Relations Manager at On The Inlet, responded to this review, July 13, 2014
Hi Brett,
Thank you for your review from your visit back in April.
Gosh, I remember back to the days of Sparksy (he’s still around-I saw him play at Lion’s Den Hotel just a couple of weekends ago) …
Over the 9 years since you last visited, On The Inlet has worked very hard to diversify into serving fine local seafood to complement your beloved sunset bar experience.
If it means anything, I did just want to confirm that our chefs are all locals, as are the vast majority of our floor staff and our office, management and owners are ‘ old school Port Douglas ’ who would love to have caught up with an ex-pat Port Dougie!