“Nothing special and uninterested waiting staff!”
Review of Iron Bar

Iron Bar
Ranked #36 of 127 Restaurants in Port Douglas
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Whether you’re in town for a wedding, a work-do, or a roadtrip north, no self-respecting blow-in could stake their claim on this beachside village without having tackled a T-bone, kissed a canetoad, or mislaid hours on the dance floor at the IronBar. Quite frankly, you haven’t been to Port Douglas if you haven’t been to the IronBar. The IronBar is pretty much synonymous with “ripper of a good time”, whether as a restaurant, bar, state-of-the-art gaming lounge or mecca for late night shenanigans. By day, a popular dining destination, the IronBar’s steakhouse menu features a lip smacking range of your favourite Aussie pub eats. An esky-cool bar provides welcome relief from the tropics, with a range of Australian and imported beers. Expect the unexpected after dinner, as the IronBar transforms into a battleground for the Far North’s most virulent pest-hello cane toad racing! Retreat to the cool of upstairs' sports bar and gaming lounge till the wee hours or dance the night away!
Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

We were met with a smile and seated quickly despite not having a reservation (I'm not sure they expect reservations). Nice varied menu but very little vegetarian food. Starter of 'Aussie Trio' was okay but cold tasters of meat were overpriced at almost $30. We enjoyed happy hour rump steaks ($16) were cooked rare as requested, but very gristly and took a lot of chewing. Shoestring fries not well suited to steak, and the sauce was obviously ladelled from a vat - revolting. The waitresses were very busy flirting with the waiters, and I found their flimsy vests and short-shorts inappropriate. We had to wave and call out for attention throughout our meal, which was a shame. We didn't hang around for the cane toad racing...

Reviewed July 9, 2013

We ate out every night of 7 in Port Douglas at a range of venues. This was one of the best, and it was a pub1 I had the Coral Trout and it was seriously one of the best fish meals I have had in years. Loved it! Cane toad racing is lots of fun too!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Great fun filling empty stomachs. Prompt service, a waiting list that seemed to sensibly take priority over those turning up late for reservations.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

Biggest amount of meat I've ever been served on a lamb shank, melts in the mouth. Quirky bush furniture

Reviewed July 3, 2013

We enjoyed our food here - my partner had the burger and I had the pasta. It was nice to sit outside and the service was pretty good. I didn't actually go to the cane toad racing but did see it through a gap in the curtain as I went to the toilets - and was not happy with what I saw. the cane toads were all on the table top and eveeryone was blowing party blowers at them to make them move. I know they are considered a pest but still think that this very much verges on cruelty.