My friend & I stayed here for a few days in January for a girls trip that was kid free & quiet & that Is exactly what we got.
Stayed in 5a which is the priciest type of room including spa bath & jacuzzi on the pool level with personal (not so much private) direct access to the pool from our deck which is great at 6am . We were lucky to have the sunshine in the afternoon & into the evening which most others did not.
The pool is small but intimate & wonderfully lit at night. Staff are remarkably helpful & professional, never pushing trips or tours on us but ever ready with information if asked, multiple brochures are available in the foyer as is standard for all resorts here.
We had one of the largest one bedroom apartments & apart from a couple of tell tail signs that the place was not brand new, it was absolutely IMMACULATE - well done housekeeping & thank you. In fact the whole of Shantara is spotless.
Great kitchenette, large fridge, super quiet dishwasher, compact hobs & oven/ microwave.
BBQ area is large & well maintained.
Aircon & fan in bedroom & lounge with ceiling fans are a godsend, cable TV, DVD & stereo, washers & dryers shared with one other apartment are quiet & super fast. Security access is reassuring with inroom safe large enough for iPad/ tablet.
I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again as the private & unobtrusive ambiance is exactly what we needed for a few days away from a busy city life.
Down side & there are a couple, sorry Shantara .......
Wifi access was difficult & I had to sit in a corner of my balcony in order to access it - although it was free for my needs - this is northern QLD though & connection is always slower& fickle at resorts unless you have a wall connection. There is however a PC in the foyer & staff will help with flights & printing of tickets for free.
The jacuzzi is very very private but the chlorine was too overpowering for me with no lighting to that area so only utilised it once without much success. Jacuzzis do have to be heavily chlorinated but was just a bit much for me.
Despite the great BBQ area we had no steak knives in room & minimal actual BBQ utensils in the public area.
Not many delivery menu options in the info pack & as we stayed during the first storms of the year we were lucky to know of some other options (beach shack pizza # 0740991100) are fabulous & not expensive - you can find them on trip advisor.
Walk into town is 15 minutes max but it would of been nice to have a small selection of wines etc available at reception - but that's a want not a requirement.
All in all we loved Shantara, every other guest respected the peace & quiet that this resort projects & so we met some lovely people from all over the world who were there for the same as us - peace, quiet, lovely surroundings, a little bit of socialising & a lot of doing nothing.
I highly recommend the resort, housekeeping, staff & surroundings for those just looking to get away from it all.
Thank you everyone at Shantara for a lovely trip....... I still think a slushie machine in the foyer filled with vodka could be a great investment ;)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Shantara Resort Port Douglas is the newest accommodation in Port Douglas and offers quality boutique style Apartment accommodation. An Adults only retreat ideal for couples, honeymooners or the independent traveller looking to escape in tranquil surrounds (Children over the age of 15 are welcome). Shantara is located walking distance to Macrossan Street, where you will find an array of Restaurants, cafes & only 400-meters to Four Mile Beach. Shantara has a selection of spacious one bedroom apartments with full kitchen, lounge/dining area, spa baths and separate shower. The studios are perfect for the shorter stay with kitchenettes. Outdoor balconies to all apartments to sit out with a relaxing drink after a day out. Available also is free Internet access, cable TV/DVDs and laundry facilities to all apartments and studios. 2 Pools - heated in winter. Gymnasium, Day Spa for personalised treatments, undercover BBQ area for guests to try out the local produce. All rooms and external area are Non-Smoking. Shantara Resort Port Douglas is a family operated business offering personalised and friendly service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Shantara Resort Port Douglas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shantara Resort Port Douglas Hotel Port Douglas
- Shantara Hotel Port Douglas