We stayed at Shantara for 8 nights in late Jan13, on the 2nd floor overlooking the pool. A few points to note:
Very close to the main street of town (5 minute walk) and friendly staff. BBQ area was excellent. Aircon was pretty good, which was needed as it was very hot and humid outside (35+ degrees and humid).
The Not so Good.
Room was only cleaned once during our stay, which is fine, but it was not a great job, especially as it seemed nothing was done in the bathroom (and the cleaner purloined out beach towels, so we had to get replacements); 2 x Pools are ok only (a little small), but were not over chlorinated (note that the pool over the road at Peppers looked amazing). TV was not working in the gym & treadmill was not working for part of the time (they have 1 treadmill, 1 cross trainer, 2 bikes and some weights). Spa & Wellness centre was not available at all (in between operators). Our DVD was not working initially, but it was replaced (and it was a multi-zone, which was good). We also lost a couple of Foxtel channels later in our stay (FoxSports 3 and SkyNews, which was a bit frustrating).
We also made the error that this was also not a self catering room (which they have as well), but the fridge, microwave, toaster and kettle all worked well. The room was 'cosy', but adequate.
Overall loved Port Douglas, but Jan is too hot to go there again (and is normally at the start of the wet season, but it was largely fine when we were there).
Overall would recommend, but was by no means a 'perfect' venue. However provided pretty good value for money.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Shantara Resort Port Douglas is the newest accommodation in Port Douglas and offers quality boutique style Apartment accommodation. An Adults only retreat ideal for couples, honeymooners or the independent traveller looking to escape in tranquil surrounds (Children over the age of 15 are welcome). Shantara is located walking distance to Macrossan Street, where you will find an array of Restaurants, cafes & only 400-meters to Four Mile Beach. Shantara has a selection of spacious one bedroom apartments with full kitchen, lounge/dining area, spa baths and separate shower. The studios are perfect for the shorter stay with kitchenettes. Outdoor balconies to all apartments to sit out with a relaxing drink after a day out. Available also is free Internet access, cable TV/DVDs and laundry facilities to all apartments and studios. 2 Pools - heated in winter. Gymnasium, Day Spa for personalised treatments, undercover BBQ area for guests to try out the local produce. All rooms and external area are Non-Smoking. Shantara Resort Port Douglas is a family operated business offering personalised and friendly service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Shantara Resort Port Douglas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shantara Resort Port Douglas Hotel Port Douglas
- Shantara Hotel Port Douglas