“Bliss!!”

Shantara Resort Port Douglas
Melbourne
“Bliss!!”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Wow! What a beautiful resort! This is my 3rd time to Port Douglas but my first time at Shantara. I have walked past this resort often and looked at their website and promised myself I would stay here one day.
I was greeted warmly by the ladies in reception. They were lovely and informative. Nothing seemed like too much trouble for them.
I stayed in a studio pool deck room. The room was an average size as I was travelling solo. It may be a little small for a couple. If staying longer than 2 or 3 nights, definitely choose a bigger room. I was fortunate enough to get a room on the heated pool side – as requested in my booking. Requests can’t be guaranteed, so it was very much appreciated to receive this. The room was spotless and very stylish. It had a bar fridge, microwave, tea/coffee making facilities and a toaster. As well as a ceiling fan and air con. The bathroom was large and modern.
The main reason I chose this resort was the adults only factor. This is noticeable when staying here and especially around the pool. No annoying, squealing children to ruin the serenity of the place and spoil your holiday.
Shantara Resort is absolutely stunning. The photos on their website are exactly what you get. I can’t wait to return next year.
Thank you for a wonderful holiday!

Room Tip: Pool deck rooms have direct acces to the pool plus a sunlounge. If staying longer than 2-3 nights c...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank aussie_traveller021

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed September 15, 2012

My husband and I spent 4 nights in Port Douglas at the Shantara Resort. The resort is in a fantastic location, being only a short walk from the beach or from the main street and restaurants.

We had a pool deck studio room, unfortunately we weren't lucky enough to have a room on the heated pool, but it was easy to walk across to the other pool for a quick dip. It wasn't a major issue, as the weather was not the best during our stay, so swimming wasn't reallly on the agenda.

The pool areas were lovely, and easy enough to find a lounger in the sun during the day. The room was great, not huge, but perfect for a short stay and felt very open with the balcony, pool deck and pool just outside the door.

The only negative would be that it can be a little noisy with the chairs scraping on the flooring above or decks outside. Maybe some padding could be added to the chairs to help muffle the sound?

We had a great deal so were happy with the resort as a whole, and would definitely consider staying again if we return to Port Douglas.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed September 14, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Shantara Resort. Very relaxing stay with two beautiful pools surrounded with a tropical oasis of palms. We stayed in a studio pool deck room which meant we could step straight into the pool from our own personal balcony - bliss! Although the room was fairly small, it was modern, stylish, very clean and tidy with everything we needed. The resort is in a great location, only a short walk from the main street of Port Douglas. The staff were also very friendly and helpful with great tips on what to do in the area. Would definitely recommend staying here and would stay here again if we decide to come back to Port Douglas for a holiday. Rach & Mike from NZ.

Room Tip: Would recommend staying in a room on the ground floor where the balcony walks straight out into the...
1 Thank rach-mike-aklnd
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed September 12, 2012

This place is so beautiful my wife and I did not want to leave and are already planning to go back next year. Shantara is modern and just amazing its peaceful and its rooms and facilities are awsome , we loved the pool area so peaceful and relaxing and its barbeque area and fridge to keep your drinks cool whilst you lounge in the sun or cooloff in the pool . Our stay there was just perfect no other word to describe it , the staff are so helpful in every way like I said we are definately going back and staying at the Shantara .

Room Tip: All the rooms overlook the pool area or have balconys directly to the pool just amazing
ACT
Reviewed September 12, 2012

We spent a week at Shantara in a studio pool deck room. Although small it suited us as we didnt intend to cook and really use the room just to sleep. The location is wonderful an easy 5 minute walk to the beach and to town. Our room was on the heated pool and it was the perfect temperature.The studio was lovely and clean, with a bar fridge, microwave, ceiling fan and air con. It was a bonus having a clothes dryer and washing machine just outside the room. We loved the child free environment and could really relax, the grounds are lovely green and lush.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2012

I was thrilled with my 4 night stay at Shantara. We stayed in a pool view studio apartment and it was modern, light-filled and very clean, with a balcony and outdoor table overlooking the pool. The entire complex feels modern, stylish and relaxed. There are two pools (one heated) and plenty of pool chairs to enjoy the sunshine in. Unlike many places nowadays, the photos are not deceptive at all - it really is that pretty!

The location is another massive plus. It's only a short stroll away from the beach, the wharf and the main street (Macrossan St) where all the shops/restaurants are. I was so relieved we didn't book with some of the other resorts which were much further away - it would've been a hassle to get around!

The staff were so lovely and friendly. Sara was so sweet and helpful from the first moment we checked in. It's a smaller, family-run place and it really shows.

If you are poring over reviews trying to decide where to stay (as I was a few months ago) - do not hesitate to book Shantara, you definitely won't be disappointed! I would stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Susan Z
orinda, CA
Reviewed September 2, 2012

It is rare that I am as pleasantly surprised as I was in going to Port Douglas, Queensland. I hope some of you who are reading my review are first timers to Northern Tropical Queensland. I absolutely loved this hotel. The staff is family run by not only the parents, but their daughters as well. They are the sweetest, nicest people who want you to have a fabulous time while visiting Port Douglas. Originally, my wife and I had reservations at the Sheraton down the street. We are so glad we changed our reservations. The Sheraton is an older hotel and, as I understand it, has not been renovated in many, many years.

The Shantara Resort was just renovated 4-5 years ago and it looks amazing. The rooms are quite spacious for being so compact. The showers are newer and they have nice decks with tables and chairs so you can sit and relax. We took advantage of scheduling two tours with them. One tour was to the Daintree Rainforest and the other was a snorkeling excursion to the Great Barrier Reef. They can book the tours for you and arrange for pickup. Very convenient.

As far as proximity to downtown Port Douglas, we made a great choice. It took us 5 minutes to walk downtown. It took less than 10 minutes to get to 4 mile beach. Great location. The only thing you have to deal with is how pricey Port Douglas can be. Enjoy making a great choice in this hotel as you will not regret it.

Room Tip: You can't go wrong at this hotel. The only noise you hear is from the birds. Each room has ceili...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple