“A little disappointing”

Apartments at The White House Port Douglas
“A little disappointing”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We stayed 8 nights in an apartment in The White House and although (self?) rated 4 star, it certainly was not that good in our experience. We booked a 1 bedroom apartment but were given a 2 bed one, which was very good as there is so little room in the bedroom, which had only a very hard, not so comfortable, double sized bed, wardrobe quite small and nowhere for a suitcase to be stored, so we used the 2nd bedroom as a dressing room for one of us. The kitchen was poorly fitted out, the dishwasher barely worked (we did report that on the first day or so but nothing was done about it). The apartment just lacked warmth and the whole building needs an update. There is no lift which could bother some. The position is great with easy access to the beach and McCrossin Street but we felt we were overcharged for what we had.
It is fair to say that the Manager is a very pleasant lady who, when we mentioned the dishwasher problem and the fact that there were only 2 water glasses (there was some plastic ware), did give us some more glasses , although they were in need of a good wash.

Room Tip: The apartments not facing the street could be quieter as there is a fair bit of 'night traffic...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MarianneandDavid

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Port Stephens, Australia
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We have been holidaying at The Whitehouse over many years and thought we must tell others of this consistently wonderful experience. The building shouts "I'm a Queenslander", looks just great in it's tropical surround. All the apartments are large by any standard and all have different outlooks. Location, location, location, easy walk to shops, beach, pubs and restuarants.
Manager Margaret's hand is everywhere, from the beatiful gardens and spotless apartments to organising your trips and transfers. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: You don't need a hire car!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ALLAN R
Margaret W, Manager at Apartments at The White House Port Douglas, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
it's a real pleasure to be able to welcome back so many repeat guests like you and your lovely wife, Allan R. Always nice to see familiar smiling faces on a regular basis. I look forward to helping make your next stay as enjoyable as your previous visits. (The pool will probably have heating installed by then, even though you think it's great as it is.)
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Manager Margaret is the real star here. She's friendly and helpful and very kind. Nothing was too much trouble and to have her wave me goodbye was so lovely. She arranged tours and transfers, suggested eateries (and was spot on) and was never intrusive.

The apartment was large with a modern kitchen (stove/oven, dishwasher, fridge), functional bathroom (with laundry facilities) and a comfortable bed. There was ample cutlery, crockery, pots, pans, glassware and mugs. The furnishings were tasteful with big TV and a DVD player. I found it a little dark in the daytime for my taste but it's a tropics thing to not have sunlight flooding indoors and really, what are you doing indoors when it's so lovely outside?

The location was great for the beach - through the park and you were in the sand. I loved being able to go for a walk on the beach followed by a swim before breakfast. The only night noise was provided by birds, so quality sleep was had. The place was full while I was there but I didn't hear other occupants at all. It was about a 10 minute walk to the main part of Macrossan Street.

I loved that The White House provided enough dishwashing liquid and dishwasher capsules for the entire stay.

The Sunday markets in town are brilliant - local produce (coffee, tea, chocolate, macadamias, seafood, fruit, veg and sugar cane juice), locally made jams, preserves, baked goods, jewellery, clothes, woodwork, art and music.

I love Port Douglas, it's perfect for relaxing and for easy access out to the Great Barrier Reef, and I'd love to stay at the White House again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank ZenTourist
Margaret W, Manager at Apartments at The White House Port Douglas, responded to this review, September 15, 2012
Thank you ZenTourist, I try to help, and it's always an absolute pleasure to help lovely people like yourself! Having a big balcony outside does cut down on the afternoon light in some of the apartments, I know, but it does keep them cool and comfortable and the light in the morning is glorious. I'm glad you agree with my taste in eateries, it's such a chore to try them all constantly but I force myself!! The Torres Imperial Pigeons are back for the season, so now we have soft cooing to lull us to sleep, you'd enjoy that. Do come back soon, I look forward very much to seeing you again.
Reviewed September 2, 2012

White House is a great place to stay in Port Douglas. It is very close to the beach and close to all the shops and restaurants, just an easy walk and yet one feels a long way from all the bustle of Macrossan Street. The apartment is clean, open, fresh and comfortable. Margaret is very helpful and gives valuable information about the restaurants and local activities. It is an easy paced place to stay with all the amenities and no fuss. It was a truly relaxing holiday and wonderful place to stay and would love to return.

Room Tip: Room 4 was good. It has a spacious balcony where it was lovely to sit and have meals and read and wh...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DarynP
Thank you, Daryn P, I'm glad you liked apartment 4 - you'll have to try a different one next time, they're all good! They all have balconies where you can enjoy the fresh air and watch the birds and butterflies, maybe even see the ocean.
Vancouver
Reviewed April 17, 2012

After some extensive travelling up the east coast of Australia, we came upon the White House in Port Douglas. Port Douglas is a lovely town with excellent restaurants, and so much to do from this area.The apartment was superbly appointed, spacious and spotless. We had a penthouse appartment, so were spoilt with 3 balconies.The location was just excellent, 2 minutes to 4 mile beach, 5 mins to the town, shops and restaurants. The icing on the cake was Margaret, the Manager who was efficient, kind, friendly and so very helpful. I cannot recommend this place enough. We originally booked in for 7 days, stayed 12 and will make it for a month next time! We had stayed in many nice apartments on our trip, but this was the best.

Room Tip: Recommend the penthouse apartments, but sure they are all good.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sally B
Edmonton AB Canada
Reviewed March 24, 2012

Our stay at the White House Port Douglas was exceptional. It is nicely situated close to 4 mile beach, maybe at most 150 meters. The shopping areas as well as the supermarket are within easy walking distance.
The apartments are spacious and clean with a great balcony. Coming from one of the more colder parts of Canada, I didn't think I would appreciate air conditioning as much as I did in the White House apartments. The management(Margaret) was incredibly helpful with any requests we had as well as making fantastic suggestions for activities and restaurants. A trip is made so much easier and enjoyable when the guidance provided hits the centre of the target. Margaret does a great job making one feel at home.
One of the attributes of the White House apartments that I like, is it that it does not have an over whelming corporate feel to it. It feels more quaint with quality. Thank you for making part of our stay in Australia most enjoyable. Now it's time to go shovel snow!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Darren H
margreat13, Manager at Apartments at The White House Port Douglas, responded to this review, April 2, 2012
Darren H, I love that – “quaint with quality”! We certainly don’t go for the corporate feel so I’m glad you appreciated the relaxed atmosphere as well as the quality. This is such a great area, I love to help people enjoy it even more, so thank you for letting me know you had a good holiday. Hope to see you again next time the snow gets too much!
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 5, 2012

After spending over 3 weeks travelling around Australia we finished our holiday in the White House. A perfect end to a wonderful trip. The pent house apartment was superbly furnished, very comfortable and Margaret could not do enough to ensure our stay was of the highest standard. The location of the apartments is superb, being only a short walk to the beach and the main shopping and restaurant area. Margaret also booked our trips to the Great Barrier Reef and Kuranda, which were both excellent and unmissable.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
margreat13, Manager at Apartments at The White House Port Douglas, responded to this review, February 10, 2012
Thank you, Sandra W, I'm really glad you were all happy with your apartment at The White House and that you feel I helped make it even better! A pat on the back now and then is so much appreciated, it's good to know my 25 years of local knowledge came in handy.