“I cant believe the place wasn't packed out”

Pool Resort Port Douglas
Ranked #25 of 42 Hotels in Port Douglas
Reviewed November 6, 2009

This place is an absolute gem. I had done alot of research looking for a resort for a 10 day trip in the October holidays ..... no one wants to drop 5 grand into a trip for their family and end up in a dud place for ten days. We hired a Toyota Aurion at Cairns airport. We have 3 girls aged 10, 15 and 17. The drive up to Port Douglas took us around 50 mins and is a highlight for anyone traveling up there. It is one of the great drives on the Australian coast in my opinion. As far as I'm concerned you can forget walking and distance in Port douglas because of the heat.... you will need a car. I have read other reviews here talking about how hard it was walking everywhere .... well DER! Forget the back packing and get a car. For the purpose of this review I will call Pool a resort, but it is more of a serviced apartment complex than a resort. There is no bar or restaurant or porters running around but this is how we liked it. We liked buying our food and drinks at the local Coles and cooking in the apartment. Of course it saves money with 3 kids but why wouldn't you with a kitchen like the one we had there. We made do with the few pots and pans provided but we could have used a few more.
We were in an Uber 3 bedroom apartment looking out west over the Mirage golf course from the living room end and all on one level. These Uber apartments have their own plunge pool which is part of a long sunny void running the length of the apartment. It is set in the living area and I spent alot of mornings sitting in the pool drenched in sunlight, catching upon the Sydney news on my 3G phone. For anyone wondering, I got great 3G reception everywhere in Port Douglas.
Another review here talks about ANTSSSSS!!!! Well we left sugary drinks on the island bench the first night ..... it would be last time we left food or drink out on the bench. This is the tropics folks, not suburban Sydney. There was insect spray in the cupboard but the next time we were in town, which was exactly 3 km down the road, I picked up some insect SURFACE spray and sprayed the whole perimeter floor of the living area and around the island bench. This worked a treat and we were not bothered by them inside again.
As for the decor .... it IS very white. In fact I wore my sunglasses inside when I got up in the mornings because the sun does come in and reflects off the whiteness. But that is one reason we flew 3 hours to get up there..... the sun. We hit a great patch of weather on our trip too, 30 degrees and sunny every day. This sort of decorating is not everyone's bag but it was nice and clean and had some original artworks and furnishings. We had an en suite and the girls had their own bathroom down the hall. We loved the bedrooms and the beds. We also had a TV in the cupboard at the end of our bed that was also hooked up to Austar like the big one in the living room. I loved that for late night Fox Sports.
Now, to the pool........ This has got to be the best pool in Port Douglas. It is a constant 1.2 mtrs deep and it is HUGE!. It is divided into two halves by a timber board walk that has sun bathing pads all along it. There were no more than 3 or 4 other guests in the pool at any time we were out there so it felt very exclusive and private. I really don't know why it wasn't packed out during this holiday time. It was a perfect temperature for the hot days, around 28 degrees which was the same as our plunge pool. It's not critical to take towels up there with you as the towels provided at Pool are big and fluffy and they dry in the sun on the living room patio in no time. There are full laundry facilities with a combination washer / dryer but the drying cycle left alot to be desired. It never seemed to dry the clothes properly and I would be hanging the stuff out in the afternoon to finish drying it. But again we were in our cossies most of the time and didn't have to wash alot.
The apartment was fully serviced on day 5 of our 10 day stay. They cleaned and tidied everything and changed all the linen which was nice to come back to after a day at Mosman Gorge. It was advertised as having free wireless internet. I asked about that when we got there and they said it wasn't working which was kind of disappointing but as I said the 3G worked ok so it wasn't a disaster.
To sum up, this was a great place for us preferring a more self serve type property. My wife loved it and the girls had a great time. I got a fantastic deal on Wotif for $183 per night. This was unbelievable value and I think it is still available for stays of 7 nights or more. 3 bedrooms with a queen bed in each and a plunge pool with absolute privacy...... I'm a musician and I travel a fair bit so I can tell you this is a genuine 5 star property with spectacular facilities and finishes. Just don't go in expecting it to be a full service resort and you will have a fabulous relaxing holiday. JW

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank johnniewaller

Reviewed October 23, 2009

Beautiful....it was beyond beautiful, would strongly recommend it!!!

Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 15, 2009

Well, from when we got there it was let down after let down. We booked a mountain view swim up. Our room wasn't ready so we decided to walk to town..One the resorts blurbs said it was 5 -10 mins, the front office staff said it was 1/2 hr, it actually is 45-1hr walk. You can't survive with out a car or bike when stying here. The place was dirty when we entered it. The knifes, forks and general cooking utensils were dirty. There was also ants in some parts of the apartment. BUY BUG SPRAY!

The shower was filthy you could see drawings that other people had left on the shower glass when it fogged up. There was no soap. There are no pool towels provided but could be purchased at an additional cost as with any extra general towels. I don't know any other resorts that charge you for such things. ok the most important thing you look for when staying at a resort/hotel is comfort. The Bed and the sheets were the most uncomfortable i have ever experienced. My partner and I woke every morning with sore backs.

The washing machine smelt like dirty socks and didn't wash clothes very well.
There is no privacy for the swim up apartments as every one can see in when they walk or swim past, even the owner admitted to that as we were checking out.
There are no clocks or radio in the apartment, however you can hire a ipod dock for $15/day. There is no dvd player unless you request it, and then you have to return it as you check out just in case you want to take it with you. Ther is so much more but i think you get the picture. P.S the coffee here is terrible go to Re:hab in town.

This is not a 4 star resort, more like 2. VERY VERY DISAPPOINTED!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank coolKat2
Reviewed October 10, 2009

Our experience of Pool was a mixed bag! The apartment was stunning and was perfect place to meet our objective of a relaxing weekend by the pool. It was unfortunate that our experience was tainted by our interaction with the reception staff at Pool.

If you are looking to stay at Pool, be aware of the hidden factors that will cost you additional dollars. BBQs are not supplied, and a small one can be rented for $20 for the first night and $10 for each additional night.

We had the swim up suite, however pool towels and plastic drinking glasses were not provided. This is hard to fathom as the swimming pool was the draw card to the property. Hence it’s named Pool! However, one is most welcomed to purchase such items at reception. We were made aware of this by a receptionist who approached us while drinking beside the pool and ordered us to remove ourselves.

A basic set of bathroom towels are supplied, any extras are provided at a fee.

The apartments are not equipped with a compendium, so we had to ring reception to find out what if any requirements needed to be met in the apartment before check out. Again reception spoke in a rather curt manner, and yes, cleaning fees do apply. Although standard in most places, this needs to be communicated.

A family staying along side us spoke of similar poor treatment by reception staff.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 9, 2009

I think Pool is struggling a bit. The all white theme is trendy, but it's a difficult thing to maintain. Quite a few scuff marks and mouldy bits starting to show, and if you leave the place closed up without fans on they can smell pretty musty when you return.
There were very few people there in late September, we never saw more than half a dozen at a time in and around the pool. A few more arrived on our last day as the Queensland school holidays commenced.
It was great value at $140 a night for a 2 bedroom unit via Wotif (min 3 nights). We've stayed there before, and been quite happy. The most anoying thing about the trendy kitchen design is that anyone over 5 foot 9 will bang their head on the cupboards over the preparation bench a number a of times a day. Really dysfunctionally dumb piece of interior design - form over function.
The complimentary wireless internet still wasn't working, but they were 'working on it right at this moment'. Yeah, for sure. I think it's a little game they play with the tourists 'If we say we've got it, will they come?..'

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2009

Stayed here for four nights with our 18mth old. After reading the reviews I wasnt to sure what to expect. Upon our arrival the reviews were spot on. It was pretty much a self contained block of apartments, did not have a hoilday feel about them at all. Every quite & far from the town centre. A car is a must if staying here. We had a two bedroom swin up which was ideal with the little one as far a pool convenience goes. Pool was huge but not ideal for the little ones. No shallow area... or shaded areas. im fussy with cleaniness, i think that the apartments could do with same major clean..No BBQ facilites which is usely ideal for a quite meal when on hoildays & a VERY small fry pan, absolutly useless..Overall we got a good price 4 nights $580 but that was our 5th trip to Port Douglas & i wouldnt bother with this property again. Next time we will stay at the Beach club...

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 28, 2009

The receptionist was friendly and helpful on booking and whilst staying at Pool.

We wished we could have stayed a little longer here. The apartment was clean, modern and nicely furnished with everything you could need.

The view from the balcony was lovely and the area was very peaceful.

The swimming pool was so huge and well maintained. It was surrounded by attractive sunbathing and garden areas.

We did have a problem with ants inside the apartment but there was bug spray provided, so we just zapped the ants and didn't see them again after that.

The only other issues was with the shower spraying water over the entire bathroom floor (maybe a door needs to be fitted) and some of the bedding smelling a little damp and musty. It was probably placed on the bed before it had dried properly.

I would definitely recommend Pool, as I felt that it was great value for money and a fantastic place to relax for a few days. You do really need to have a car to get down to Port Douglas centre but we enjoyed being away from the centre of Port Douglas.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple