“Christmas with a swim up pool”
Review of Oaks Lagoons

Oaks Lagoons
Ranked #14 of 42 Hotels in Port Douglas
Reviewed December 25, 2013

Nice big spacious apartment, with the pool steps on the little terrace adjacent to the room. Nice big comfortable bed. Helpful reception staff though reception hours were a bit sparse, they waited for our arrival from the airport. Furniture and furnishings a bit old fashioned and well used, but adequate. Kitchen equipment a bit under resourced, which is important for us as we like to self cater some of the time. Good restaurant in ramada next door. Apartment not serviced over 5 nights..but there was a good washer dryer and dishwasher.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
LagoonsHM, Manager at Oaks Lagoons, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2013

Thanks for your review and pleased you enjoyed your break with us over Christmas. Being a resort without a restaurant, there is not a lot happening after 7pm though we always make arrangements for late arrivals and we have an after-hours on-site caretaker to assist our guests whenever necessary. Whilst we only service our room’s weekly, additional services can be arranged for an additional fee. We just don’t build daily cleaning costs into the rate and assume everyone is prepared to pay the extra costs involved. It is purely a user pays basis. We look forward to welcoming you back when you next have an opportunity to visit the tropical north.

Reviewed December 18, 2013

We stayed at Oaks Lagoon for 3 nights, early December, 2013. Our choice was based on the lure of the 'swim out pool', which was clean and a lovely experience. BUT......the madam at reception was far less than pleasant to us, I would go as far as saying her attitude was cranky. Internet was free only for half hour a day then you had to pay, Clean linen, extra towels,and room service came at an extra cost. There is no ice block making machine on the facility nor even an ice tray in the little freezer in our fridge. We had to walk to the resort next door for ice, drinks and food. Overall, we felt like second rate guests compared to all the other resorts/motels we stayed at between Cairns and Cape Tribulation, the 'Care Factor' was zero! Lastly....there was a $150 bond required for our stay. I was only made aware of this once my receipt of payment was emailed to me. Never come across this one before. The issue for me being that the bond doesn't go back into your account until 10 days after you leave the Oaks. This I found to be very unreasonable.I had to ask for a fax to be sent to my bank branch and then ring my bank to make them aware of the $150 that was being withheld so they could release it. No issue with the request I had made to my bank but the madam at reception was hassled with this chore and said "I dont have time for this" to which I replied, "Well I'm not leaving until my money is back in my account, so best you get a wriggle on" (there was no-one else in the reception area at the time). Next time we will be staying at the Ramada next door to the Oaks (where we spent most of our time) where the staff couldn't do enough for us, were so very friendly and made us feel special.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank cruisenroundAus
LagoonsHM, Manager at Oaks Lagoons, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2013

I am really sorry one of our staff did not treat you with the respect you deserved. Needless to say this is not what we try to achieve and your feedback will help address this with the person concerned. No, we don’t have a restaurant and our rooms are only serviced weekly. However this is reflected in our rates and that suits a lot of our guests. Not always everyone, so I respect your view. The pre-authorisation is a safeguard for both parties. Firstly it ensures you card hasn’t been stolen and being used without your approval and secondly it tells us exactly who we are giving access to the assets in the room; an increasingly important matter in this day and age. Please note, pre-authorisations are automatically released 5 days after being taken, not 5 days after departure. I am pleased overall your swim out was a lovely experience and the room was clean and presentable. We would welcome the opportunity to show you on a future visit to Port Douglas how your feedback has made a difference.

Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

Me and my partner stayed at Oaks during November 6th to the 13th. Let me start by saying, this place is freakin amazing! We stayed in a one bedroom swim out and it was the best place we have EVER stayed at. From the moment we arrived, we were greeted by Sherie (I think that's how you spell it) she was so helpful and friendly and explained everything down to a "t". The apartments are not serviced but that's not a bother to us. I was happy to tidy up myself, although we forgot to throw a few items from the fridge out so we are apologetic for that. The apartment itself was perfect and had everything you need. Fridge, microwave/oven, cutlery, kitchen, washer and dryer etc. The only personal negative I had was purely that there wasn't a TV in the bedroom, but that's a personal preference :) the pools are absolutely beautiful, always clean and perfect to swim in any time of day or night. Be mindful the pool closes at 9 but we were a bit cheeky one night and swam out from our room at about 10. Oops ! There are 6 pools and each one is surrounded by swim out apartments. The spa itself is also inside the pool. Unfortunately we didn't use the BBQ but I hear the facilities are awesome going by previous feedback. The ramada next door offers a buffet breakkie at a discount when staying at the oaks, however personally speaking, I wouldn't recommend it. The oaks also took care of booking our snorkelling tour leaving us to not worry. I cannot recommend this place highly enough and our visit to Port Douglas has now made us consider making the move from Melbourne to Port Douglas yay !!! We just didn't want to leave!!! A huge thanks to Sherie, Krystal and the awesome guy who extended my check out from 12 to 1pm. You will not regret staying here and GET a swim out, there's no other way!!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MzTeebomb
LagoonsHM, Manager at Oaks Lagoons, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

It is a real joy to read how we have helped make your holiday really special. We are constantly doing things to our rooms and keep them up to date. I have a great team here and they love sharing their local knowledge with our guests to help make their stay in the tropical north as enjoyable as possible. And it looks like you had a great time and we are pleased to have been a part of that. We look forward to welcome you back and telling you more about the wonderful things in our backyard.

Reviewed November 29, 2013

We stayed in a swim out room at Oaks Lagoon in late October. It was fantastic, great reception staff, very relaxing. Highly recommend the swim out room option, smaller pools I thought was a really nice touch as opposed to many hotels that have 1 massive pool, no fighting over lounge chairs as you had your very own.
Only things I can think of for improvement was the bathroom just needed a minor update, cracks in sink etc, and replace pillows as they were lumpy.

Note that, these apartments are not serviced, which was not an issue for us as there are washers and dryers on hand and you can get extra towels etc from reception if needed, there is also no restaurant on site, but there is a great one next door at the Ramada, plus there is a Coles in town to get minor supplies and lots of restaurant choices in town. The local shuttle picks you up at Ramada as well, $5 for one way trip, but on the nice mornings its great to walk into town, about 45 mins or hire a bike. There is also no gym, but if desperate there is a gym in town which I think you can get casual visits too.
Would stay there again.

Room Tip: Swim out for fantastic direct access to pool
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Melba007

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback and we are pleased you enjoyed your swim out room. As you found, having 6 smaller pools which do give greater privacy and not the feel of one big hotel pool shared by everyone. There is always a quiet place to chill out and relax, sometimes helped with a pool noodle pillow. Port Douglas has an amazing array of delightful restaurants run by passionate foodies that add much to a holiday experience. Whilst not having the convenience of an on-site restaurant the Ramada next door does a great job of providing close to home meals at great prices and guest of Oaks Lagoons also get a complimentary bottle of wine, when 2 guests have dinner. Not bad for making the 50 meter trek next door! We look forward to welcoming you back some time soon.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

We stayed at the oaks for 7night .when we arrived we where welcome by the manager with are your the one's who sent all your cons over her nice warm welcome to start with then he said have a look at your room (B3) if you do not like this room we can upgrade you well no need for any one to look at this room as the view is of the car park possibly the worst one on the complex .so of course we where going to upgrade but to are surprise there was a lot of rooms empty .and to are surprise there is no one on site between 7pm & 7am first for me just as well I did not loose are room keys at night well to top all this we paid are upgrade on the last day we wear there as we where of early next day .well no good paying on the day we left as it was 5:45am.then the next day we had an email we have under charge you so we have sent you this receipt for the extra amount.well let's just say I will not be going back very disappointed.very sorry to have to put a review like this .never had to put one on so bad

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank brian d

Reviewed November 22, 2013

Have stayed here twice with the last time with our whole family 3 kids, my mum and hubby. Awesome stay apartments well equipped had adjoining apartments which was perfect. We all enjoyed the swimming pool at our door step for morning, lunchtime and night swims. Also the ease of access with the local shuttle bus was great. The whole team were also very helpful and friendly looking forward to our return.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
LagoonsHM, Manager at Oaks Lagoons, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2013

Thank you for staying with us. Our dual key apartments are a great way for extended families to holiday together yet still have some personal space form each other. A great way for grandparents to spends some quality time with their grandkids, whilst Mum & Dad can still have some quality time together either in their own room or having a quiet lunch together taking a cooling sea breeze. With the kitchen and fridge 10 steps one way and the swimming pool 5 steps the other, everyone is happy! We look forward to welcoming you back again for your 3rd visit when you all next need a break.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for eight days in a swim out room.when we arrived we were amazed at the layout of the resort and our room was even better than we expected,The staff were very helpful and experienced .The BBQs were sensational and easy to use.The pools in the hotel(resort)we're unreel and very clean.we have been to many countries overseas and this place will be put up in one of best we have stayed at.we will return with our family and advise our friends about the Oaks Lagoon in Port Douglas.
Cheers,
Ken&shirley L.

Room Tip: The swim out room is great but the the rooms with the Spas look good also November is a good time to...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
LagoonsHM, Manager at Oaks Lagoons, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Thanks for your review guys, we loved having you stay. We enjoyed being able to book tours for you and help you experience some of the magic to be seen in North Queensland. We get lots of great comments on our BBQ area; we keep looking for ways to improve the area just a little bit more! We look forward to welcoming you back when you can once again see a break in the traffic and escape to the tropical north.