“Great place for relaxation”
Review of Oaks Lagoons

Oaks Lagoons
Ranked #15 of 42 Hotels in Port Douglas
Reviewed November 19, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for eight days in a swim out room.when we arrived we were amazed at the layout of the resort and our room was even better than we expected,The staff were very helpful and experienced .The BBQs were sensational and easy to use.The pools in the hotel(resort)we're unreel and very clean.we have been to many countries overseas and this place will be put up in one of best we have stayed at.we will return with our family and advise our friends about the Oaks Lagoon in Port Douglas.
Cheers,
Ken&shirley L.

Room Tip: The swim out room is great but the the rooms with the Spas look good also November is a good time to...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
LagoonsHM, Manager at Oaks Lagoons, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Thanks for your review guys, we loved having you stay. We enjoyed being able to book tours for you and help you experience some of the magic to be seen in North Queensland. We get lots of great comments on our BBQ area; we keep looking for ways to improve the area just a little bit more! We look forward to welcoming you back when you can once again see a break in the traffic and escape to the tropical north.

Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

We had a swim out room. It was the best decision. It wasn't overly sunny which was prefect for alternating between swimming and laying on the pool lounge. My version of relaxation. The BBQ area was well equipped and we made great use of it. The only thing I had issue with was that they were staining the wood around reception. We had to walk all the way around to the other side of the hotel to gain access to reception. Even then the part we were allowed to step on wasn't completely dry and still sticky. I almost fell in the door when my thong got stuck to the floor. Better planning might have provided less inconvenience to patrons. For future travellers this probably won't be an issue.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

The timber deck staining was a pain and I am sorry it happened whilst you were here. We did program this during our quieter period but there was never going to be a perfect time to do it. I am pleased however you had a wonderful time and enjoyed your time in the pools and chilling on the sun loungers. Having 6 pools, there is always a quiet spot to be found somewhere. Thank you for staying with us, I hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

have been to many hotels in last few years and this is one of best for value, location and enjoyment! Will definitely go back again! This is the first time I have put a review up-the pool was excellent-straight off the patio of our room.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks Debbie, your review is appreciated and I hope this is the first of many. For rooms where you can swim straight off the balcony of your room, they are excellent value when compared to some other properties which offer similar features. We hope to see you lazing in our pools once again very soon.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

So after spending three nights in Sydney, myself and my partner moved on up to Port Douglas and stayed in the Oaks Lagoon for three nights.
As soon as the airport bus pulled up outside the hotel, I was upset that I only booked three nights here.
The place was stunning. I felt like i was living in the jungle and the front of the place just looked like the entrance to Jurassic Park (Awesome).
We were checked in by the very friendly staff (all Aussies are friendly in my opinion) then shown to our spa room which was HUGE.
We had a microwave and a kettle, TV and alarm clock etc. and the bathroom was a decent size. The bed was huge and extremely comfy and the place was clean and cleaned often by the looks of it.
The balcony led out to a wonderful view of the pool and trees beyond the other side of the hotel. The sounds of the birds in the day and the bats and crickets at night were breathtaking.
There was a spa/bubble bath on the balcony with hot and cold water running to it and a big fan above.

The hotel itself is located just next to four mile beach and is a 40 minute walk into town along the beach or you could wait for one of the many shuttle buses that pick up from outside the hotel. It's a $5 pp journey into town or you can get a $15pp freedom pass to come and go as you please.
At night, the other guests are either sat on their balconies or in the pool or gathered around the communal BBQ area, but all were respectful of the general quiet that the area demanded.

I was so sad to be leaving and will absolutely be going back at some point in the near future and definitely staying at the Oaks Lagoons.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks Grant for your lovely review. I am pleased you found the resort was a great break away for you. Sorry you couldn’t stay longer. As all rooms have a balcony many of our guests find it a great place to just relax and enjoy some valuable quiet time whilst they are on holiday. If you thought our hotel rooms are big, I hope you will try our apartments next time, as by comparison to the hotel room, they are huge!! Have a good trip back, hope you can make your way back downunder again soon.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

We were looking forward to our 5 night stay at the Oaks, but it didn't quite do it for us. The spa room was comfortable and clean enough and the amenities ok. First day was nice and quiet, but we were awoken in the early hours of our second night by the inconsiderate guests in the room above ours, who seemed to be rearranging their furniture for 2 hours in the middle of the night! There was also a noisy group of guests on the 3rd day, who didn't seem to notice or respect that other guests were staying there.
Minor irritation, there wasn't a sink plug in the bathroom sink, but despite asking reception to have it replaced, it never got done. No green cred there, plenty of wasted water :(
We had the opportunity to relocate and stay with relatives, so after the 3 night, we packed and left. All in all, disappointing, but, on a positive note, Port Douglas itself is a beautiful place.

Room Tip: The south side rooms are on 2 levels, whilst the north side rooms are on 3 levels
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
LagoonsHM, Manager at Oaks Lagoons, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

I am sorry to hear you had noise issues whilst you were here. We have no hesitation to address noise issues with other guests so I concur there was a lack of consideration by these people. We were out of stock temporarily and expected our delivery of in-room items but it took longer to ship than anticipated. In hindsight, a trip to Coles would have resolved this for you. Thank you for the feedback, it is appreciated.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

Me and my couple went to Oaks Lagoons last August to celebrate my birthday. We had been said that the hotel was very nice and comfortable so maybe we were expecting too much, but overall we were a bit disappointed.
We both enjoyed the bbq area and the swimming-pools at the end of the day for a nice swimming, as you can not swim at the beach. The room was very spacious and beautiful and the staff was pretty helpful.
However, in my opinion, are the small details which make the difference. First of all, we found pretty annoying the fact that they did not have internet in the room, it was just in the area around the hall. I need internet to work, so I was expecting to have internet in my room as I was said that they had internet service.
Another small detail but very important from my point of view is the bed. The double bed was actually two single beds put together. I find it very uncomfortable to sleep.
Finally, on the second day we realised they did have housekeeping service just once per week. At least that is what they said when we asked in reception, and when I asked for clean towels because ours were too wet, they answered it was an extra cost service.
I think it would be a very nice place with some better small things, but it would not be my first option.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
LagoonsHM, Manager at Oaks Lagoons, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2013

Thanks for staying with us. I am pleased you found the hotel nice and comfortable. Internet is available throughout the resort though the free internet was only available in the foyer. As a result of your feedback I have now extended the free WIFI to be available in all guest rooms in the future. On the other matter, we have communicated through all our terms and conditions that we are only weekly services, and provide that information with the welcome pack on arrival. We would not be able to offer the special value based rates we do now if we packed all the other cleaning services into the cost of providing a room. You can get either low rates or all services at a higher price. We offer our guests the former and welcome the opportunity to provide any additional services as requested on a fee basis. Look ofrward to having you stay again.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

We opted for a spa room and during our 3 nights, we made good use of it!

The ground floor unit we stayed in was spacious, clean, quiet and well appointed. It had a comfy king size bed, fridge, microwave and a useful array of kitchen utensils.

The whole place seemed very new and in excellent condition. Oaks doesn't have a restaurant, but the hotel next door within short walking distance does - we had dinner there and it was great. With this hotel being a little out of town, the shuttle is great, runs regularly & is only $5 per person, one way. Heaps of undercover parking for cars near your hotel door. I would love to stay again and would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our resort and for recommending us to others visiting Trip Advisor. We certainly appreciated your business and we are very pleased the resort met your expectations. The Ramada does have an excellent restaurant and is brilliant for buffet breakfasts and also does really good dinners as well. We look forward to having you stay with us again some time in the future.