“Good location and very friendly staff”

The Newport on Macrossan
IASI
“Good location and very friendly staff”
Reviewed July 3, 2012

The hotel is situated just in the center of Port Douglas so you can easily access the beach, the restaurants or the harbor. Our room was quite small (except the bathroom which was really big and had a spa tub) with a balcony and we barely had any natural light in the room. The pool area was ok, clean and big enough for a swim, although we've preferred to go to the beach. It also had a BBQ area which is useful for a fast dinner. The cleaning service only applies for stays longer than 7 nights. for shorter stay, if you would like to have your room cleaned, you would have to pay an extra fee. The most positive part was the staff, who was really warm and friendly.
We would definitively consider a bigger room next time.

Room Tip: Any rooms with the view to the pool
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Reviewed June 24, 2012

It may look like I am just copying the title of the previous review, but the previous reviewer really put it so well that I couldn't help myself from reusing the same title!!

We stayed in the Superior one bedroom apartment, and as we would not been in Port Douglas before we really enjoyed the convenience of being right in the centre of things. The apartment was large and had all of the features that I would have expected. And after comparing the Newport to a few others, I think it would be close to the best (if not the best) in the centre of Port Douglas in terms of value for money.

The Newport is run by a mother and son. The son (Patrick) does most of the customer contact part was friendly and helpful, and we thought that the mother was an absolute star in making sure that the apartment complex and rooms are clean and looking good.

The only slight hiccup that we experienced was when a mid week scheduled clean was missed, but the clean was done almost straight away after we mentioned this.

Overall, we were very happy. And I have already recommended the Newport to a friend who is planning on going to Port Douglas later this year.

Room Tip: The Superior rooms are well protected from the street noise.
2 Thank Ozzietraveller1
Launceston, Australia
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Our first time to Port Douglas and we chose Newport for 9 nights in a 1 bedroom pool view room. We were extremely pleased with our self contained apartment, very clean and the pool was amazingly clean, but the highlight of this wonderful resort is Patrick, he went out of his way to make us feel welcome and at home, even taking our suitcase to our room for us and booking our tours, offering us his expert advise for choosing the best tours. With the perfect location to all the cafes and the marina and to the wonderful staff at the Newport you made our holiday magical thanks

Room Tip: Suitable for couples or families
1 Thank Debbie Z
Smurf09
Reviewed June 3, 2012

This is a great place to stay at in Port Douglas, the beach and all local amenities are a short walk. I had a double room with jacuzzi bath. The pool outside was great. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Smurf09
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 3, 2012

I spent hours checking out what was available in Port Douglas before booking this place. My wife and I booked a 1 bedroom appartment here and were both delighted by the result. Fully self contained, free movie channels, a bright blue pool, parking space but within walking distance of everything. Added to that, the beds in this place rival most 5 star hotels for comfort. Nice friendly managers who make you feel welcome. A top place, call them directly as we did and save the bother of checking out hundreds of other places and web sites. We stayed 3 nights but will be back again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Hotelinspector08
Hunter Valley, Australia
Reviewed May 19, 2012

I usually go to Port Douglas once a year but have not travelled here since 2011. I was still greeted with open arms and hands (to assist with luggage) upon my return in May 2012. I stayed for a weekend and I am happy to say the hotel is still high quality at a extremely reasonable rate. Port is a special place that has varied and different tastes from the high roller options to the backpacker dorm style rooms. Newport on Macrossan caters for all types on all budgets. The two person spa comes in extremely handy to sooth aching muscled and joints after trekking the daintree or snorkel kind the reef. Location wise forget the car you are 5 minutes from everywhere. I wil be back later this year as this place is a true gem in the Port Crown!

Room Tip: Forget the car, right in centre of Port's main drag.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank JLwoody
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 12, 2012

This place certainly lived up to all the reviews that we'd read .

I stayed here with my 15 year old daughter for 2 weeks . It was the perfect location in the center of town , easy to walk to the marina , the beach , shopping and restaurants etc . The one bedroom apartment that we had had double glazed patio doors so we heard no noise at night even though there obviously was some being in such a central location.

The apartment was spotless and roomy as was the whole complex , we really couldn't fault it and the manager was always ready to help with any advise or booking tours etc.

The pool area is very clean and the covered BBQ area is a nice size with BBQ, work surface and sink etc , really lovely .

I suppose if I was really finicky , the only negative I could find is that in our apartment , I don't know about any others , we had the A/C unit in the bedroom and only a ceiling fan in the large living area , so the living area could get quite hot , which wasn't too much of a problem at the time we stayed but I should imagine in the humid heat of summer it could be a bit uncomfortable , but this wouldn't put me off coming back again as absolutely everything else was just perfect .

Patrick , the manager , was a gentleman and we'd like to ay a huge thank you to him for making our holiday a relaxing one and making it possible for us to stay an extra 2 days and have a late check out without any hassle .

I would without any hesitation recommend the Newport to everyone including my friends and family

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family