I travelled to Port Douglas with my wife and 3 young children (from 2 months to 5yrs) and we decided to stay at the Rendezvous due to the good reviews here on TA as well as the decent rates available at the time - we were looking for value for money as we were staying for 2 weeks. We weren't disappointed.
The 2 bedroom Deluxe Villa was quite spacious, self contained and recently renovated, (2 of) the kids had a LCD tv with DVD player in their bedroom which meant we could get them into bed really early on the odd occassion we hired a dvd from the town centre which was fantastic. The room also had free broadband which was great. On the down side mobile reception from the room was patchy at best - sometimes i had none (telstra FYI) however some might find that a plus while on holiday!
The resort complex itself is good but fairly basic so don't expect 5 star but the restaurant food and poolside snacks are good (try the risotto!) and the main pool area is great for the kids with lots of shallow areas, caves and waterfalls to explore. We hired a car for the 2 weeks and that would be my recommendation as the Rendezvous is a few k's from the main centre of Port Douglas for restaurants, groceries, shops and the patrolled beach with stinger nets.
The staff were almost all fantastic, really helpfull and friendly. We felt as though they really cared, they were alaways smiling and they remembered who we were most of the time which is always a nice touch at a resort.
On to a couple of not so positive comments. The guy we suspect is either the restaurant manager or owner seemed really stressed out all the time and we found him fascinating to watch as he buzzed around the place. We didn't enjoy the way he spoke to the restaurant staff in front of guests though. On one occassion after a waitress was being shown for the 6th time how to wipe the same table and stand from different angles to ensure it wasn't streaky i commented to the poor girl that it looked fine as far as i was concerned. She was clearly embarrassed as were we and we felt that his rediculous behaviour was uncalled for in this instance. There's nothing wrong with perfection but we felt his expectations of staff should be best explained to them behind closed doors. She rolled her eyes and said "don't go there" with a smile alluding to the fact that this wasn't an isolated incident.
The couch and arm chairs in the room are like blocks of concrete. I cannot fathom for the life of me why the person in charge of the new fitout selected this lounge suite. After a long day out at the beach or on the road or tour what do you want to do when you get home? Relax on the couch, maybe a snooze right? No can do here. It is unbelievably uncomfortable amplified by the fact we were there for 2 weeks of course. For a few days you can handle anything. If we wanted to relax in the afternoon with some cheese and wine we had to site at the dining table.
The only other thing if i can call it a negative was breakfast. Don't get me wrong the food was good, no complaints with the quality. Continental breakfast was included each day and it was a $7.50 per adult upgrade to the buffet. However over a 2 week period it became VERY repetitive. Same 3 or 4 cereals each day and the same hot food each day became a bit boring. I wished that they mixed it up a bit but if that is my only complaint it's really pretty good. We just cooked our own breakfast in the room a few times to brerak it up a bit which was fine.
In summary there are far more pro's than cons. We may have caught the manager at a bad time and others may not experience the same thing from him so i wouldn't let that influence your decision to stay here. The value for money was excellent, the rooms spacious and clean, staff were friendly and the pool was fantastic for kids and adults alike. Yes i would stay there again IF they had new lounge suites.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Reef Resort Port Douglas by Rydges offers two storey 1, 2 and 3 bedroom villas each with a kitchen, laundry, separate lounge and dining areas, TV/DVD player and balcony or patio in over 110 square metres of living. Set on 15 acres of lush tropical gardens offering plenty of room to spread out and enjoy the facilities which include 2 large lagoon-style pools, 1 leisure pool, a children's pool, children's playground, gymnasium, 25m lap pool, tennis courts and a family BBQ area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Reef Resort Port Douglas by Rydges reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rendezvous Reef Resort Port Douglas Hotel Port Douglas
- Rendezvous Reef Port Douglas
- Rendezvous Reef Hotel Port Douglas