I stayed at the resort for 4 nights in June 08. I was aware that the resort was being renovated and secured a very cheap $98 per night deal through wotif.com
I was under the impression, from their own website that by late June 08 most of the removations would be finished. This was not the case - there was stuff everywhere and only about half of the villas had been reburbished. The resort is ab absolute maze. There are 180 villas scattered randomly over a site with connecting, winding roads in between. Once we checked in it took us 10 minutes, with a map, and clear directions, to find our villa.
I had requested a refurbished villas (and this was confirmed) but was given an older style and they do look pretty tired, hence the refurb. They do have king size beds, which is a rarity these days!
I contacted reception and asked for a refubished one, and was quickly given another one of the other side of the resort. This was away from the pools, but I wasnt too fussed. The refurbished ones are really nice and modern but I got the feeling someone from head office ordered 180 of everything from a catalogue without testing or checking things. The LCD TVs are very, very nice but the sofas, while stylish, are incredibly uncomfortable and feel like a church pew. The kitchen was nice and modern and clean, as were the bathrooms. Everything seems like a slightly odd design because they dont use the space all that well and have gone for options that look good, over options that are practical and functional (such as the sofa). Kitchen is very well stocked with cultlery and crockery.
There is nothing amazing about this place and I would hesitate to even call it a resort. The pools are nothing amazing, the service at the place is almost non-existant, andit certainly doesnt have the 'wow factor' (drive past the Sea Temple if you want the wow factor). But is is an extremely good value villa complex with large, modern, quiet facilities. I would stay there again for the great value, but its certainly not the type of place for a honeymoon or anything.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Reef Resort Port Douglas offers two storey 1, 2 and 3 bedroom villas each with a kitchen, laundry, separate lounge and dining areas, TV/DVD player and balcony or patio in over 110 square metres of living. Set on 15 acres of lush tropical gardens offering plenty of room to spread out and enjoy the facilities which include 2 large lagoon-style pools, 1 leisure pool, a children's pool, children's playground, gymnasium, 25m lap pool, tennis courts and a family BBQ area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Agoda, Priceline, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your Reef Resort Port Douglas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rendezvous Reef Resort Port Douglas Hotel Port Douglas
- Rendezvous Reef Port Douglas
- Rendezvous Reef Hotel Port Douglas