“See the reef without getting wet”

Quicksilver Cruises
Book In Advance
More Info
$189.26*
and up
Quicksilver Outer Great Barrier Reef Snorkel...
More attraction details
Owner description: Quicksilver is Australia’s most awarded reef operator. You can choose your Great Barrier Reef experience - Cruise to the outer edge aboard a spacious wavepiercer catamaran to the renowned Agincourt Reef, sail aboard the luxurious Wavedancer to idyllic Low Isles, or seek the thrill of dive and snorkel adventures aboard Silversonic. All cruises are accredited with Advanced Ecotourism.
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I took the Quicksilver cruise because I really wanted to get out to the reef but I don't like boats and I don't want to snorkel. The Quicksilver boat is very large and in most weather it would be a smooth enough ride. We were blessed with a calm day. The platform at sea is good and there is an OK buffet lunch. I went in the underwater viewing boats a couple of times so I could see the reef. Had fun watching everyone else snorkel around. I would suggest not booking until you know what the forecast weather is for the day. A windy day would really ruin the trip and the ability to view the reef in choppy seas.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,641)
All reviews
in 30 reviews
"extra cost"
in 36 reviews

Reviewed August 12, 2012

We took the trip out of Port Douglas but were picked up in Cairns, which meant 2 hours on a bus.

It's a 1.5 hour boat trip out to their platform so it was 11am before we were able to get into the water.

This was Aug and it was windy so it was quite chilly.

It seems like every time you turn around they want money for something - Lycra suits to keep stingers away, towels, various souvenirs and the every-present photo of you taken somewhere on the boat (we never looked for ours).

We paid an extra $69 pp to do the advanced snorkeling tour in the afternoon. The water was choppy so it was hard swimming but if you know what you're doing it isn't a problem.

The reef is beautiful no matter how you see it

Lunch was an excellent buffet.

Overall this is expensive but an easy way to see the reef.

Reviewed August 9, 2012

Our group consisted of 4 adults and a 3 year old. We choose Quicksilver because they had a lot of options for people who don't swim/snorkel, like our group. We went on the Outer Great Barrier Reef tour. It was great. That day it was very windy, so the water getting to the reef was very choppy. We had taken tablets before boarding the boat and although they helped, one of us was sick and two others felt ill. Thankfully, once we got to the reef all was well and everyone felt better.

We started our day with a Quicksilver pick up from our Port Douglas hotel and got our tickets at the marina and boarded a large boat that took us to the Reef. We were only about 150 people that day so there was lots of room to sit and relax. They offer free coffee and tea and cookies which is nice. The staff was very friendly and came around to show you the various tour options that they offer. They were not pushy at all, but rather wanted to show us the options so that if someone wanted to take a "excursion", they were informed, the paperwork done, payments taken and instructions were given to them all before we got to the reef to save time. Marine Biologists give a nice talk/explanation about things we were probably going to see out on the Reef.

My father (early sixties) decided to do the Ocean Walker excursion. He does not really know how to swim but wanted to experience the Reef. He loved it and said it was worth it.

The buffet lunch was quite good as well.

My 3 year old enjoyed herself as well. We took her to the underwater viewing platform several times and on the submarine and she enjoyed looking for "Nemo".

You only have about 3 hours on the Reef so plan your day accordingly.

I wasn't crazy about the professional photographers. I thought that the pictures could have been a little better. They do not photograph every group/couple that arrives on the Reef, which is fine, but I found that 90% of the pictures taken were just ok and that anyone could have gotten those shots with their own camera. They posted small versions of the pictures taken right next to the entrance of the boat so that is how I saw them. I think they were selling them for $20 each. Some were nice underwater photos with a couple holding a "great barrier reef" sign, but others weren't that special. I know that all the excursions start almost as soon as we get off the boat so it is hard for the photographer to catch everyone, but like in my father's case, they didn't take pictures of the ocean walkers with their helmets on. They did take video which my father says is fantastic, but $110. It would have been nice to have a picture of him in his gear. We couldn't take it from the platform as they are already partially underwater when they put the "helmet" on. I do understand that 2 photographers cannot be everywhere, it was just a little disappointing.

The ride home was also choppy, but for some reason it seemed as if less people (or none) felt ill. They offer free cheese and crackers for the ride home.

All in all, I am happy that we experienced the Great Barrier Reef. We would recommend Quicksilver. They are very professional and I thought that it was worth the money. However, I noticed after getting back home that my (Australian) Entertainment Book would have given us 20% off the price. I am upset that I didn't notice earlier. So, for those with the Entertainment Book, ask for the discount upon booking.

1  Thank VanessaCR
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Fantastic day , attentive staff , great buffet

I was great to watch the staff with both children and adults that needed some extra attention in order to snorkel , they were supportive and encouraging and a credit to the company

Yes they do offer you all the "extras" on the way out , but we never felt we were being given the hard sell , we were told what was available to us and that was it

The buffet lunch was plentiful and seriously if you couldnt find something you liked , you are just being too hard to please , coz it was all of great quality

We stopped to watch whales on both trips ....on the way back they put on such a show , what a bonus

My only complaint is we were not there long enough !!!! I could have stayed out there for days LOL