“Fanastic stay - great locations and friendly hosts” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Freestyle Resort Port Douglas
Ranked #4 of 44 Hotels in Port Douglas
Tauranga, New Zealand
“Fanastic stay - great locations and friendly hosts”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

We recently spent 8 days at the Freestyle Resort. The Resort is in a great location, 5 minutes walk from the beach, great restaurants and the shops. We stayed with our 15 month old daughter and older son. Anne really made us feel at home from the start, nothing was too much trouble. Our apartment was on the ground floor, was quiet and even had its own private courtyard. The pool and bbq area is just lovely and we enjoyed swimming every day. The cleaners who serviced our apartment were even kind enough to check with us so they could service our apartment around our little girl's afternoon siesta! We also really appreciated Anne's good advice about local day-trips given the weather turned a bit rough when we were there. This did not impact on our holiday in any way. Freestyle Resort is highly recommended and we will be back!

Room Tip: Ground floor apartments are great for kids!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Central Coast Aus
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment with our 2 sons for my nephew wedding in August.The rooms were Great,the pool was Awesome and the resort was Fantastic.The Resort is a short walk to the main street with great restaurants and bars.The beach is a 5min walk across the road and through the park.Anne was a Great host and we look forward to going back to Port Douglas in the near future

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool are awesome
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed for a week in August. This was the third time we've stayed at Freestyle. We love the location being close to beach, restaurants and shopping. Rooms and amenities we find the right size for couples and I love the pool, lush garden and private outdoor areas. We did have a squeaky bed which you don't expect. In was told renovations about to commence and would be replaced so if booking just ask about the bed. All other furnishings and amenities I thought appropriate and in very good condition.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

Next to main road. Small pool. Found owners werent very charming to families. Didnt like the layout of family units at all. They were quite unsuitable for families with steep stairs, no doors on bathrooms and tiny kitchen area. They recommended and booked our trip out to reef, and then when it was rough and we had a bad trip they told us we should have gone with another company and it was always going to be bad that day and our own fault. We went on their recommendation so were a little surprised at this. Will be looking for something closer to beach, away from road and a better pool area next time.

Room Tip: Dont think any of the family rooms are suitable for families
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
10 Thank gordonp409
Green Point, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

I am writing this review for 2 reasons.

One

I stayed at this resort in August. The layout of the room was great, location was good, each room was private, and the pool area was very relaxing. The hammering and drilling we received above our room one morning was ridiculous, If I had been treated the same as others when they approached management to enquire if this would be happening the next day, I would not have been as polite. YES it went for a short time 15mins -1/2hr but.... NO it wasn’t after 9am and it was actually closer to 830am. While it did not wake me up, it did wake up my WIFE! Why didn’t we complain... well after you hear about the treatment of others you realise Freestyle resort doesn’t real care for FEEDBACK!!!

TWO

I find the practice to attack any negative feedback from the management of this facility to be very unprofessional. The feedback provided is because of your operations (yes we know this is a small snapshot of time spent) and as such you should take the time to review yourselves and ensure you fix it for the future and not try to discredit a paying customer. Guess what.... that’s CUSTOMER SERVICE!
I look forward to your negative response!

• Stayed August 2013
5 Thank Chris_AussieTraveler
Gosford, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

Location was good. Loved the pool and that toys were provided for the kids and the outdoor foyer area. Rooms were just the right size and there was care taken to make this a lovely place to visit. Best word to describe service. Defensive.

I too was with the Wedding party that visited in August and can vouch that the noise works directly above my room did wake me and my husband up and definitely occurred prior to 9am as we were out and about early that day.

I am appalled at the response given to the review provided by one of our party. It is clear that the operators chose to continue their defensive behavior to this online forum for all other reviewers to see.

We did not complain because we had been made aware that any issues were not taken kindly from more than the 'princess' as you refer to our friend above and could not be bothered having to deal with that behavior on our holiday and during our friends wedding.

I am an early riser at home and 8am is a sleep in for me. That drilling was earlier than 9am and I believe the response given at the time to the 'princess' was 'well the rest of your party was already at the beach and it didn't happen that early'. Even if you think you are right. Humor us, apologize for the inconvenience and ensure us that it won't happen again. That would have turned a negative experience in to a positive.

I rarely complain. I visited a hotel recently that had no hot water the entire time, but the staff were so nice I didn't have the heart to tell them I wasn't enjoying the amenities. I worked in the service industry for over 10 years. I know people can be annoying, but biting your tongue and focuses on making a better experience for the customer is a skill.

How you interact with your guests is paramount to their experience. Providing an additional towel is not a demanding request and that guest should not have felt like they were putting someone out and proceed to use a wet towel instead because they did not like confrontation. Bad experience.

I think the 'princess' made valid concerns that could have been easily overcome. I would not like Anne to feel victimized as I am sure they were a couple of bad experiences among many good ones but this was a good opportunity to hear your customers concerns and attempt to rectify them and you have failed.

Now because you chose to be defensive and aggressive by calling our friend a 'princess' and disregarding her comments, you get a second negative review. I hope it was worth it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank Holly_on_holidays
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

We stayed at Freestyle last week and are very happy customers! It is well located, in walking distance to the main shops, cafes and beach so we did not need a car for the week which was great. The short walks to and from here and there made it more enjoyable and relaxing for us. Anne, the host was exceptionally helpful and hospitable and made sure we had everything we needed on arrival and throughout our stay, always anticipating our needs. Anne has great local knowledge and gave us a great run down of where to go for everything, she recommended an excellent massage place and even suggested things we could do to entertain our 8 month old which was sweet of her :) The facilities are great- BBQ, nice pool and spa, guest laundry, newspapers /magazines which you can read by the pool. The comfy bed, balcony with a sweet little tropical garden view, dishwasher and the mid week service clean were nice extra touches. We bumped into another couple at the airport on the way home who stayed at Freestyle who also said it was great. We had a lovely stay with you at Freestyle and in PD, it s such a laid back friendly place, a great holiday. We will absolutely return.

Room Tip: Let Anne know your requirements and she will do your best to accommodate you i.e if you have a strol...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family