We expected way more from this resort based on ratings. This is no four star resort. There is no food area, just units and a pool. The pool looks amazing but it isn't. Over half the pool is shallow suitable for toddlers, but there is a deeper strip through the middle. Our experience was that toddlers jumped on you in the deeper areas or we were fishing them out. I have NEVER heard of a cold spa. This was. The pool and spa had no other heating and the sea was warmer than the pool.This was a big disappointment for us.
There was just one BBQ and often it was busy. We also had to carry all our food down 4 flights of stairs and back up.
We were in a two bedroom unit. It was very compact. Too small for a family of four. The kitchen was tiny with bench working space of about 50cm by 50cm. There were two hotplates and a microwave. No oven. The pots were so small I had to use two to cook the pasta in both. we couldn't all watch tv in lounge area.
I really disliked the steep stairs. We had to lug our luggage up 4 flights to get to unit and then there are a another set of steep polished wooden stairs in the unit. This would be totally unsuitable for toddlers. Even my two teenagers slipped and my husband fell badly injuring his toe. The other thing which was annoying was that the upstairs bathroom had no door. NO DOOR on a bathroom! My two teenagers hated this when showering and no one could go upstairs to the bedroom when bathroom was in use.
I also disliked the lack of wardrobe and storage space. Shelving and drawers are desperately needed here.
We didnt find management very friendly. I can sympathise with review 7 july by julianeasy. We were severly reprimmanded by Anne when we asked for fresh towels after spending a day on the reef and beach, She was so rude we went and purchased our own. Anne could be really pleasant, but just as quick you felt like she was talking to you like a child. Management were real keen to book tours through them. However, you can get discounts by booking direct. Our best trips were the ones we researched and booked by ourselves.
The free internet was great. The shower excellent. Beds were comfortable but the queen bed creaked.
air cond and fans worked well. The balcony area was unusual. The only dining table was on the balcony so you had to eat outside, rain, heat or bugs. However we enjoyed eating outside.
This was a nice place to stay, but its not four star and its no resort. Would probably suit a couple, but not really suitable for families. No space and it wasnt cheap.
we have travelled all over the world and I am extremely cautious of reviewers with only one or two reviews. I am very fair with reviews but Port Douglas reviews seem to have more one reviewers than anywhere else I have experienced. We totally endorse frogmelb review of 16 july 2011. I am very very very surprised that this resort had such a high rating on trip advisor. This was expensive accommodation for our family and there are lots of places closer to the beach. I wouldnt stay here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Freestyle Resort Apartments are favourites in the Port Douglas market. The Apartments were fully refurbished in 2014 setting benchmark standards for boutique accommodation in the Region. We experience high repeat visitation with many guests returning on an annual basis. Located beachside of Port Douglas with parkland opposite and to the North our location is second to none. Our award winning heated swimming pool and spa is a favourite spot for a quiet read, or just taking in the sun in a lovely tropical garden setting. The little extras like great personalised service from your resident managers Anne & Jason, complimentary pool towels, mid-week room services and free wi-fi broadband internet in all apartments and around the Pool precinct sets the scene. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, Cancelon, Priceline, Agoda, Travelocity, Hotwire, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Freestyle Resort Port Douglas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Freestyle Resort Port Douglas Hotel Port Douglas
- Freestyle Hotel Port Douglas
- Port Douglas Freestyle Hotel