WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Hibiscus Resort & Spa

Hibiscus Resort & Spa
Ranked #22 of 44 Hotels in Port Douglas
Sydney
“Excellent location and friendly staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

My boyfriend and I recently visited the Hibiscus Gardens resort after purchasing the Cudo deal and we had an amazing time. We were put into a studio apartment, which I was worried would be too small but was perfect for the two of us. The main bonus was that our balcony didn't go out onto the main landing, like the 1 or 2 bedroom apartments, so we had total privacy.

Our balcony didn't have any special view, but it was up high and there were lots of high lush plants outside that blocked everything and gave it a rainforest feel. The breakfast each morning is simple, we wouldn't have paid the $18 for it but it was included in the deal so it was good.

The room was clean and had everything we needed - microwave, bar fridge, plates, etc, but we ate out at the local restaurants 90% of the time.

Definitely the best feature of this hotel is the location. It is literally 200m away from the beach, 200m away from the main street and restaurants, and 200m away from the marina (where all the snorkelling tours leave from, so no need to book bus transfers). Based on the reviews I read before I left the manager can be quite disagreeable - we didn't have much interaction with him but from what we found he was fine, we mainly saw a young girl on reception (I think her name is Jodie) and she was very nice and helpful.

Overall, the location is extremely central, the hotel rooms and grounds are clean and well maintained (especially the lush rainforest feel they have created) and all the staff seemed lovely and helpful. Would definitely recommend to a friend!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nicola L

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

Just back from a 5 night stay in Hibiscus Gardens and we are very happy with nearly all aspects of our stay. The service was excellent contrary to a few reviews on this site. The manager even carried our suitcase up to our room on the top floor despite having one arm in a sling. The location is fantastic - less than a five minute walk from the centre of town. The rooms are clean although had a slightly damp smell but that is only a minor complaint. The small pool is excellent to relax in and the breakfast by the main pool was very good - I would get to breakfast early as it can get busy towards to end. We would definitely stay in Hibiscus again and recommend to others.

Room Tip: I would choose a room that overlooks the small swimming pool - this was a perfect place to relax thr...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Maitland, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

Location is perfect, both enjoyed a relaxing holiday. Thorougly Enjoyed the weather, beach, relaxing massage in the spa, friendly staff and the pool side breakfast was fantastic. Rooms were clean, spacious and cool with both fans and air con. Would recommend and stay again.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank niznikrose
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

We recently stayed her for a week – we got a 1 bedroom unit which was simple but had all the things we needed. The location is definitely its highlight – located a block back from the main strip and in the middle of the beach and marina made it perfect for walking around. However, we would not stay here again or recommend to others. Our TV did not work the entire time, not that we wanted to use it much, but trying to get it fixed was a nightmare, not to dwell on it but the service and communication was very poor. What topped it off was how we were treated by the manager when we checked out and confronted him with this issue – rude is an understatement (and after reading other reviews here it seems to be a common theme). Not once did he apologise for the inconvenience himself. One of the girls on reception during the week was lovely, but apart from her I felt like we were a hassle for the management.

To be honest, I have never been treated so badly by somewhere we were paying to stay – we are not fussy people but were made to feel bad.

My recommendation is if you want a place just to sleep, then it is fine, but if you have any questions or problems don’t expect a friendly resolution. There are plenty of places to stay in Port Douglas and we won’t be choosing here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank raldr
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

Let me start by saying I have not stayed at this resort and never will based on my phone conversation today. I received an email advising of a Cudo offer at the Hibiscus Gardens Spa Resort. I was interested in booking two vouchers. As the offer did not advise what room type was on offer for the 2-bed (2-bed 1 bath or 2-bed 2 bath) I rang to clarify. I was also curious to know if the offer included daily room service. A nice lady helped me initially saying it was a 2-bed - 2 bath offer. When I enquired about the daily room service she put me through to the manager. The manager wasn't at all friendly when he came on the line. When I explained what I was enquiring about he said that the lady had clarified that it was 2-bed 2 bath. I asked if it included daily room service and he said it didn't. I then said that I was keen to know what the offer value ($2705) was based on. Looking at the rates I thought it must be the highest rate ($395 with daily room service - however this only adds up to $1980). This is when he started to get very rude. I said I couldn't work out the value and that I was keen to know what I was getting if I was going to purchase a voucher. He proceeded to get very rude and told me not to come and stay if I didn't like the offer. Well quite frankly why on earth would I want to stay when the MANAGER is rude, rude, rude? Anyone else considering this offer do the maths. It doesn't add up and I'll be letting Cudo know that they haven't included enough small print in this offer.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
12 Thank Jenl05
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

Hibiscus Gardens has the promise of it all. 2 pools which are usually empty except for 1 or 2 other guests so that it is great to swim and read in peace; a spa that has excellent massage therapists; and breakfast under Balinese type gazebos next to the pool.

It's very peaceful whether on your balcony, in the pool areas or at the spa.

The room needs a little work though. The fridge didn't keep the drinks cold so a cold crisp wine was hard to create; the pipes in the toilet groaned every time you flushed and the bed was rock hard.

Despite this the setting is fantastic, it is close to Macrossan and if there was just a few updates to the rooms, especially the fridge, I would be back!

• Stayed November 2012
Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

We have just returned from our 5 night cudo voucher deal and overall was a fantastic resort, although we wont be back as the bed was simply shocking was like sleeping on the floor, the breakfast buffet is not user friendly it was a nightmare each day just to get simple breakfast. that while it seems small the bed issue is massive. ouch!!! location fantastic and very clean resort, the front desk were nice

Room Tip: all over looked the pool very romantic
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple