“A dream fulfilled!” 4 of 5 bubbles

and up
Outer Great Barrier Reef Snorkel Cruise from Port Douglas
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Stroller parking, Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase
Melbourne, Australia
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“A dream fulfilled!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014

A great day to the outer reef with Quicksilver, although it was only a couple of days after the cyclone had gone through a bit further south and sadly left the ocean a bit "stirred up" and rough! But - I didn't want to come all this way north and not go out! The trip out to the reef was fabulous with an interesting talk from one of the marine biologists on the way out. Although I didn't snorkel, a trip in the semi-submersible sub made it possible to see a much larger area of the reef than if I had snorkelled! Sadly it was all quite murky due to the recent storm, but it was still wonderful to see - not nearly as many fish or colours of reef as I had expected though. We were out at the reef for about 3.5 hours and this time passed quickly... wandering around watching those snorkelling, going on the semi-submersible, eating a fabulous lunch and sitting at tables drinking wine talking to new friends... all with a fabulous view! I will do this trip again... hopefully in better weather!

Visited February 2014

• Indonesian first
Dublin, Ireland
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“A lifetime experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

Have fulfilled a long held ambition to visit the Barrier Reef. It lived up to expectations. However water absorbs light and reds are dimmed - do not expect coral to be as bright as you see on TV. Lots of fish in all sizes and colours. We just snorkelled but if you are up to full aqualung equipment it would be worth it.

Visited October 2013
Melbourne, Australia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“"36 visits and still loving it"”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

I've been out on the Quicksilver tour to the Agincourt Reef now 63 times,from 1993 till now 2014,This time my wife and i wanted to take our daughter who has never been before.The tour has not changed in the years gone by and still amazes me to date.The tour is very well organized and has fantastic facilities both on the boat and the Pontoon.It was stinger season and wet suits we're recommended,but we did not see any at all.we all wore one just in case.One hour or so to get to the reef and three hrs on the reef was just enough time to take in the snorkeling,diving or going on the semi-submersible.Since my last visit the area in which one could swim,snorkel and dive had been reduced in size to a very small area.I was told that to many people wonder of to far and some beyond the safety barriers put in place and struggle to swim back,so they shortened the area in case of drowning.Most of the section had a good variety of coral along with a good selection of fish.I spotted at least twenty varieties and a giant clam.The high light was the four foot giant black trevally which was swimming around the pontoon's water entrance.The water tempreture a warm 26d,perfect for snorkeling.In Addition the marine biologists aboard give a great insight to the reef before you arrive.

The staff on board both the pontoon and boat were simply fantastic,very professional and knowledgable about the reef and the marine life.Nothing was to much trouble for them and all questions that were asked by my qurious young daughter was explained to the fullest that a young adventurer has to ask.Even when my daughter fell ill(sea sick) the staff were fantastic,supplying her with a bag and tissues,ice and cold towel.Its to be expected when the seas are a little bit choppy.Ammy one of the on board hostesses was simply brilliant and comforted my daughter and saw to her every ten minutes.My daughter was not the only one that was sick,many were on this day because of the windy weather conditions."A BIG THANK YOU TO AMMY".

We had lunch on board the pontoon,a mostly cold buffet with two hot dishes,simple fair which needs a revamp.The only things on the menu that have changed are the additions of the vegetable curry and beef stew and rice.The food unfortunately was very average and has not changed in terms of variety.Back in 1993 when I first went out to the reef,I found that the cold selection of food on offer was in deed the same.This is one of the drawbacks,even the light refreshments to and from the reef was the same coffee/biscuits going and cheese and crackers on the way back.the other being the hiring of the stinger suits $7.00AUS each and the water proof camera $65.00 AUS,but you get to keep the SD card with all the photos you take.Or purchase a disposable one for $25.00.For our family of two adults and one child a total of $520.00 with a 20% discount if you have a entertainment card.In all a costly fun day out on the reef.Like I said I've been out many times before and still love doing so but would like to see a menu change,I mean "the same style of food since 1993?!!!!! Mmmm.When I do go back next time I'll take my family to Low Isles on the Wavedancer a 45 minute trip by a smaller vesel/catamaran.Just near green island resort.more coral and species of fish/green turtles to,and you get to go onto the island as well.The reef tour is not cheap,but if you want to see the great barrier reef in Australia,there is no better way than taking a comfortable well organized trip with Quicksilver tours Far North Queensland,Cairns or Port Douglas departure locations.Oh last bit of advice don't go in the rainy season January to mid march,it's a little or sometimes very over cast and choppy out their and the clarity of the water for viewing coral isnt the best.They don't tell you this as you would expect.The best months through experience is from August to November.We went any way and we love the tropics even in the rainy season."TRULY A NATURAL WONDER OF OUR WORLD".

7 Thank Fredrick V
Caloundra, Queensland, Australia
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Magnificient diving site.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

Different corals, fish life, saw turtles, one shark, a couple of rays, a very friendly flowery cod, we went to 3 sisters, Phil's Drift and Castle Rock

Stamford, United Kingdom
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“A once in a lifetime experience!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

WEnt out with Quicksilver to Agincourt Reef. Excellently organised with high proportion of staff very helpful and informative. Pontoon excellent and trip allowed for nearly 3hrs in the reef in a cornered off section. Yes fully body suits were recommended due to stinger season but safety is their priorty and your choice. Enough equipment for all. Semi submersible excellent and probably see as much. We were lucky and saw plenty of bright coral, fish, green turtles and reef sharks. Lunch very good and plenty of it. Priceless experience!!!

1 Thank thepr1tchards