“The way to dive The Great Barrier Reef”

ABC Scuba Diving Port Douglas
Ranked #3 of 75 Tours in Port Douglas
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Our totally unique operation in Port Douglas makes us the diver’s and snorkeler’s choice. We take the smallest number of passengers to many pristine areas of the outer reef systems. Well away from all of the mass market tourist operators. All of our scuba diving is privately guided and we offer free professional underwater photos of your adventures.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Orange, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“The way to dive The Great Barrier Reef”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

You owe it to yourself to hire Jay to show you the reef. We didn't want to travel on a "cattle boat" but that was the only way to get out to the reef. After searching to see which boat we should book, my husband found Jay's info on Trip Advisor. I was hesitant to spend the extra money but am I glad we did! Jay met us at our hotel the night before we were to dive, had us fill out all of our paperwork in advance, fitted us for gear and met us in the morning to take us to breakfast before boarding the boat. He secured a table on the boat and set all our gear up. I thought it might be awkward bringing our own "guide" onto a boat that has dive guides included but It was obvious from the minute we arrived that Jay is well respected by the boat employees too. We were usually first in the water and along with showing us fantastic things, he took AMAZING photos as well. After each dive he sent us for food while he prepared our gear for the next dive. We have been diving all over the world and this was one of our best experiences anywhere. We will be back & next time we will stay at the home he rents too!

Orange, California
“Amazing diving!!”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Jay was an excellent guide for our diving on the Great Barrier Reef!! He was so nice and friendly and really helped us enjoy the sites! He is also a great photographer and took some awesome photos of all of us so we can always remember our diving trip!! I would recommend him in a heartbeat to anyone coming out to dive in Port Douglas, Australia! Next time we come out I will most definitely be contacting him again!! Thank you again soo much Jay for the fun times! Can't wait to dive with you again in the future!!

windsor
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Abc Scuba Diving”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Jay Wink is a legend - he personifies personal service.  We were delighted.

Jay is a divemaster who provides personal guiding for scuba divers from Port Douglas to the Great Barrier Reef.  You are booked on to commercial boats but made to feel like it is your trip.   The advantage of being on a commercial boat is that the journey to the reef takes over 90 mins.  The bigger the boat the more comfortable it is - and it can get rough.

As we had 3 newly certified teenagers we wanted the assurance that we were in good hands.  We could have chosen the package on offer from the boat but with Jay there are added extras.

We have been in contact from the UK for several months - even before we met we felt like we had a contact in Port Douglas.  He came to meet us at the villa beforehand - nothing was too much trouble.

On the dive day itself Jay met us for a coffee, found us a nice part on the boat to park ourselves, had all the equipment sorted including new computers and regs.  He ensured we all acclimatised at the first dive. Then it was photo time - some great shots including a rarely seen leopard shark.

One of my sons overheard another guest on the trip asking if it was possible to get the shark photos.  He was told - sorry, that's a private party.   Felt good!

Jay does this because he loves it.  A really genuine guy. A one off and very highly recommended.

Thanks mate.

Sydney, Australia
“Awesome snorkeling experience on the reef!”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Jay was an amazing host and knew exactly where to go at each stop on the reef. We had great fun exploring and finished up with some great photos as a memento of our trip! Thanks for an awesome day jay!

Washington DC
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The absolute only way to dive the reef!”
Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

I have to rave about the fantastic experience diving the reef with Jay Wink. I am an avid traveler who for years has been meticulously scouring Trip Advisor reading reviews in hopes to book the best tours, eat at the best restaurants, and stay at the best hotels. I can honestly say this was the greatest find to date.

When I planned to dive from Port Douglas, I contacted 7 different dive shops & private companies. Jay costs just about the same as others (if not cheaper) but goes well beyond all in service, experience and personality.

He started by driving to our hotel the afternoon before to fit us in our equipment. He explained all that we needed to bring, answered all questions, and was extremely helpful in easing our concerns.

The morning of the dive, the 3 of us shared a breakfast near the dock and talked about the day ahead, our experiences diving, and personal lives. He is a great guy with a fantastic story.

Note that I contacted many other divers and was told it would cost between $75-$125 to hire a photographer to go along on the dive with us. I booked Jay for another reason- he is a trained underwater photographer - 100s of pictures & multiple videos are included in his price!! This was a big selling point- he really has a great eye and would have us pose next to coral, fish, and rays. Amazing shots to last a lifetime.

Not only that, Jay pointed out all the fish, rays, octopi, and sea creatures along the way that we would normally miss. We discussed what we saw while looking over the pictures & filling out our log books together. He was extremely funny & polite, even buying us water on the boat. My friend was extremely anxious diving as this was our first since certifying, and Jay was fantastic with her, guiding her along in the water and answering all questions & providing tips to enhance our experience. After the first of 3 dives, we both were amazed at how he put our minds at ease.

All in all I think this was the greatest find on Trip Advisor- I would not dive the reef with anyone else. Jay has 30 years & over 6500 dives under his belt, is an extremely amazing photographer & person. Do yourself a favor and forget all the other dive shops and call Jay for a great experience.

1 Thank frankeljw