“Ok, could be cleaner”

Dougies Backpackers Resort
Reviewed June 22, 2014

We were a group of 8 and stayed at Dougies one night in a room and two tents. The room was ok, but the tents were not water proof and we're quite tiny. The staff was not the most helpful We encountered, although quite friendly. They didn't have enough blankets and the ones that they lended us were dirty. Showers and toilets were not clean neither at night nor in the morning, I don't know about midday though!

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Terefi

Reviewed June 22, 2014

It is a really cool place to stay in Port Douglas. I rented a twin room with my friend and the room was cosy and nice. The property has a really cool bar and they have some or the other activity going on. One day there was live music band and other pool party BBQ etc. i didnt attend those as was busy with my day trips. The only negative thing about the place is the kitchen, the utensils and the sink stinks as people there are not careful with it. They just leave the dirty stuff in the sink. In all, the staff is really cool, friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: if you are not comfortable with dom type of rooms, twin sharing is the option for you.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank freakytraveler
Reviewed June 18, 2014

Keep in mind this review is only for a night's stay:

As a local to the FNQ region, I have heard all the stories about hostels being abhorrent, unclean, STI-ridden and permanently stained with drunken groups of degenerates. Really, I wasn't sure what to expect as this was my first stay at a hostel - I simply needed a place to crash after work, as I live about an hour away from Port Douglas. Doing back to back shifts every now and then makes the stay necessary. At $26 for your own bed with a fan, A/C and clean linen, I don't have one complaint ready for the place. I was worried I wouldn't fit in their single beds (I'm 6'9"), but there was no issue. Plenty of friendly residents, mostly a bunch of Euro backpackers who can't stop smiling because they're just happy to be experiencing the best of the tropics. There are heaps of Germans at hostels, and if you haven't been following history, it's important to note they're some of the smartest people in the world - you can learn a lot from them, they're usually quite honest, humble, and enjoyable. I met a German girl and we spoke for hours.

Bought some earplugs for noise, had very little effect considering I'm such a light sleeper. There were four or five other lads in the room I had no chance to properly meet, as I was in bed by 10 and out by 5 the next morning. They were quite respectful as to not make unnecessary noise when they arrived late. I think they saw that I was sleeping grasping a banana, and knew of my plans to carefully force it into their eye-sockets if they didn't respect my need for a mighty snooze. One of the lads even adjusted the air-con to a better temperature when he got in, which was cool (HAHA get it?).

As for the staff, there was a wee lad behind the bar wearing a beret who helped me with the room, he was rather helpful and accommodating. I had to checkout before I went to sleep, as I left at 5 a.m. "All good lad" he says calmly, soon before tossing his beret, mimicking a boomerang as it floats over the general seating area, and landed softly on his head, much to the amazement of the (only) overly drunk female who had just fallen off her seat. He even offered extra sheets/blankets if I wasn't warm enough with what I had, which was rather kind of the young fellow.

I'd like to stay in a "Stylie" tent next time. I wandered past all the tents and it was extremely quiet, even around 8pm. I like my quiet time. I'll also make it my goal to have all backpackers denounce the "Chuck another shrimp on the barbie" nonsense. We call it a bloody prawn for one, and I haven't heard my dad nor my uncle nor my dad's dad or his brother or his other brother or whatever say anything of the sort.

Enjoy yourselves kids!

Room Tip: You could ask for a room furthest from the common room/bar/kitchen/bathroom if you were after a spot...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Stayed here back in February and the staff were so helpful and friendly from the minute we arrived to when we left. We stayed 3 nights in a 4 share dorm that had plenty of space and character. The shared facilities are close enough in my opinion to all the rooms. The bar was fun and always full of people willing to have a chat. One of the staff members was so helpful with booking our reef trip and cape tribulation day tour and my shuttle back to the Cairns airport. Highly recommend!!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I spent a week at Dougies with my daughter, visiting my son and his girlfriend during their travels down under.
I stayed in one of the double rooms, which was basic but clean and great value for money, the kitchen, showers and toilets are more than adequate and the whole atmosphere is friendly and relaxed, with lots of things going on should you wish to join in. But by far the best things about Dougies are the staff, I was made to feel welcome from the minute I got there and nothing was to much trouble! and to top it all the bar serves some of the cheapest beer in Australia!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Steve B
Reviewed May 12, 2014

We were in Port Douglas through Cyclone Ita. Before the storm, we were in a twin room. It was smallish but very comfy with the AC and our own small fridge. The showers and bathrooms were clean, and the property is lovely (lots of hammocks under trees, tons of birdsong) and close to the beach and the rest of Port Douglas. When the storm approached the staff were very helpful keeping everyone posted and helping people in the tents plan for the next few days. When it became clear that it was going to be quite a severe cyclone, they were very helpful with making arrangements so that everyone could make their flights. In our case, that involved moving down to Cairns too days early. We were sad to leave Dougies, but the staff very kindly gave us a full refund and helped us book into a hostel in Cairns. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 10, 2014

My friend and I stayed at Dougies in April. Originally we booked 5 nights but we were unimpressed with port douglas so we left after 2. We opted for the double room, which had two twin beds, a dresser, nightstand with lamp, ceiling fan, and window air conditioning unit. The walls were painted dark, which is odd for a small room. Lighter walls would make it so much brighter. The AC worked great, the beds were comfy, and they provided towels for the shower. The bathrooms were not the cleanest and the showers went from hot to cold every 5 seconds, with very little water pressure. This is the only hostel I've stayed at that makes you pay for internet, a huge negative for me, but at least it was fast when I used it. Another huge negative was the location. It is atleast a 20 minute walk from Dougies into town, which is pretty rough in the Australian heat, especially if you want to go into town multiple times per day. The staff was very friendly and helpful in picking out things to do, and when we decided to leave a few days early to go to Cairns they were helpful in recommending hostels in Cairns. This hostel had a very strange vibe to me. It almost seemed as if my friend and I were the only 2 real guests there and everyone else was a long term resident who worked there, and it was very hard to meet people. Overall it wasn't terrible, but next time I would opt for one of the hostels in town. I don't think I'll return to Port Douglas though. It was a ghost town.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends