“I second, Grubby, Overcharging and Terrible Service!”

Club Tropical Resort
Ranked #34 of 43 Hotels in Port Douglas
Geelong, Australia
“I second, Grubby, Overcharging and Terrible Service!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2011

I have to start by saying the condition of my double room wasn't to bad. However!...friends stayed in a 3 bedroom unit and it was the worst room I have every come across. From the ceiling fan hanging out of the ceiling with exposed wires, stained couches, stained and broken curtains, broken moldy tiles, stained blankets, filthy vents at floor height where children can reach and filth under the couch cushions and under the couch. The bathrooms I can't even begin to describe. Other friends stayed in the penthouse which was amazing. All I can say is call before you book, because the 3 bedroom unit should not have been let out and if you get there and find you are in a room similar the person in charge at the time was particularly unhelpful and abrupt. Calling and checking may not even help because whoever took the booking new a child was going to be in this room.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Justine B

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Turkish first
gold coast
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2011

We stayed for one week, what a disappointment! Having stayed previously how things have deteriorated.
. Unit was unclean with cobwebs and dust
. Beds were hard and pillows unbearable
. No service available without charge even with a stay of 7 days
. No clean towels, charged $4 per towel for swimming towels
. Broken and dangerous kettle
. TV had poor picture and intermittent reception
. Pool was unheated as was the spa
. Garden, surrounds and units were tired and really rundown
. Manager and wife were unfriendly and certainly not welcoming

We would say even though the position is good we would certainly recommend you stay anywhere else!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank caroline k

Travelers are raving about these Port Douglas hotels

Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2011

Myself and my partner stayed at Club Tropical Resort for one week. We thouroughly enjoyed Port Douglas and its surrounds but were let down by the Resort. I chose the accommodation from looking at images on their website, where the rooms looked modern and clean. But this was not the case for any aspect of our stay. When we arrived at the hotel at 5.30-6pm via a coach service we were greated by a closed reception. the shutters were pulled down over the desk area and signage told us to call reception via a wall phone. On calling reception we were directed to a safe where the keys were kept. Once arriving at our room we were quite dissapointed; the images we had in our head from their website were polar opposite to the actual room. The room was painted yellow with mainly 70's era cain furniture and had hawaiian flowered couches. The bathroom was, although large, not at all like the modern bathroom in the hotels pictures. the paint was also peeling. The only modern item in our room would have to be the television.
The kitchen was functional although many extra costs were displayed on signage, eg. if dishers were to be washed on departure you will be charged, any extra coffee or tea supplies needed and charges for putting out your rubish bins. All of which I think should be part of the service of staying in a 'Resort'.
The swimming pool was very nice although when myself and my partner got into their spa we were quick to jump out after seeing the mould around the water line.
At night it was very noisy as we could hear doors slamming, the lift operating and people opening and closing their sliding doors to their baconies.
During our week stay none of the staff spoke to us and we wondered how they knew we were guests in the resort. When checking out the receptionist just took the key and none of the usual 'how was your stay?' was said. We were allowed to leave our baggage behind the desk for the remainder of the day until our flight, but the receptionist was quick to let us know she would have been able to go home early had it not been for us leaving our suitcase.
Overall I wouldnt stay at Club Tropical Resort again, but I would very much return to Port Douglas.

Room Tip: Villa San Michele-fellow travellers loved it
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank WeLoveMelbourne
Coffs Harbour, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

We stayed in a studio for two nights and, unfortunately, this resort is showing significant wear and tear. I first stayed here when the resort was first built about 15 years ago and it appears that no maintenance has been done in the intervening years.
The location is good and the layout of the studio rooms is ideal for the tropis with a big deck area that incorporates an outdoor kitchenette, dining setting, sunlounges and access to the pool. The pool itself is good as are the surrounds.
But the resort is showing significant maintenance issues with cracked and worn surfaces in the common areas and room fixtures and fittings showing obvious need for repairs and/or replacements.
Added to the replacement problems is the fact that the resort style itself seems very dated.
The hosts were friendly and helpful and the location was good but I wonder how long this resort can keep operating before it undertakes a much needed major refurbishment.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank hazza55
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2011

The 3 bedroom apartment was large with three double rooms, two of which had an en suite shower and toilet. The shower was fantastic. The air conditioning was good. The facilities in the kitchen were adequate. However, there were live wires showing above a ceiling fan, a wall socket that was loose, no furniture (only a small table) on one of the two balconies and one broken chair on the balcony. When reported to reception the complaint was met with an extremely frosty response. We were told that it was not usual to provide chairs for the balconies (although those on the front of the 'resort' seemed to have them in abundance) and there was no interest in the broken chair! On arrival, on Friday, we were told that the lift was broken and was not due to be fixed until the following Tuesday. Lugging five suitcases up three floors was not easy and no assistance was offered. In any event the lift only goes to the second floor.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank DSJ1986
boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2011

I was in PD for snorkeling day-trips. Club Tropical is a great example of how greatful I am for TripAdvisor. It is located in town (as opposed to several resorts we passed on the way in which seem to be in the middle of nowhere) where the main road intersects the ocean.

The place was not full and I was a walk-in and I was able to get a garden view for A$100. (A TripAdvisor contributer recommended a north-facing room.) It faces a lush garden but more importantly faces away from the street where there is night music. I can easily picture that there are a lot of rooms that would cause people to give it less than 4 circles.

It has a nice balcony with a cooking surface, though it was hot enough out (in November!) that I never went out. The rooms have that nice open, tile and bamboo feeling I like so much.

Food, pubs and tours are all within easy walking distance.

Get there from Cairns airport using little Sun Palm transport busses - piece of cake.

BTW they don't clean your room unless you ask in which case you will be charged $30. I was there for 5 days so I asked for one cleaning after day 3. No probs.

Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
Houston, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2010

Upon arrival to Club Tropical we pulled up to a closed front desk (it was only 6 pm). Finally I figured out that we were supposed to pick up the phone and it would automatically ring someone. However, no one ever answered. After doing this I realized there was another group waiting with us trying to figure out how to check-in. This group had already been trying for 40 minutes. My husband had to go to the restaurant next door and then find someone who works at the resort at the bar. I have no idea what we would have done if the guy hadn't been at the bar??!!

Our room overall was ok. It was a good size with a nice tv. It could have used some paint to make it not seem so much like a jail cell but that we could get past.

I had read on previous reviews about how they seem to charge extra for everything. I thought they were probably over-reacting however once there I realized it was true. Extra $4/day to use the safety deposit box. Extra charge for house keeping and a higher extra charge if they have to do dishes.

The best I can say for this hotel is that it has a great location in Port Douglas and the beds were comfortable.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family