By The Sea Port Douglas
The Port Douglas Outrigger(Port Douglas)(Great Value!)
$172
Thala Beach Nature Reserve(Oak Beach)(Great Value!)
$263
$152
  • Pool
Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort, Port Douglas(Port Douglas)(Great Value!)
$210
$182
Sheraton.com
  • Beachfront
Paradise Links Resort(Port Douglas)(Great Value!)
$107
$103
Hotels.com
Pink Flamingo(Port Douglas)(Great Value!)
$134
  • Pool
Peninsula Boutique Hotel(Port Douglas)(Great Value!)
$293
Orbitz.com
Peppers Beach Club(Port Douglas)(Great Value!)
$236
$215
$279
  • Pool
Lazy Lizard Motor Inn(Port Douglas)(Great Value!)
$89
Martinique on Macrossan(Port Douglas)(Great Value!)
$123
1,441 results
All reviewsbeach chairsfree extrasfree icerainforest canopythe main streetsea viewboogie boardsthought of everythingpool toysfree beach towelsshops and restaurantsfour mile beachfree bikesdvd libraryperfect locationquiet endgreat place to stay
Reviewed August 12, 2010

The lovely ladies fitted us in at the last minute and we were so impressed with the comfortable room. It is a fantastic location and we were well looked after. Much appreciated, Marlies Stevens from New Zealand.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 10, 2010

We are a family of 5 and stayed in one of their lovely loft apartments. They were very clean and had everything we needed in the apartment for our 6 day stay. It was a 2 min walk to an amazing beach. The apartment had additional towels, chairs, buckets and spades, boogie boards and beach balls etc to use on the beach, which was a real bonus for the children as we didn't bring our own and therefore we didn't have to buy any.
The ladies in the office were fantastic, they were friendly and booked out all our trips for us.
We had a brilliant time at By The Sea and would recommend this to everyone.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 10, 2010

It was a relief to arrive here after some of the not-so-nice places we'd stay on the east coast. We were greeted by the very friendly owner who was so charming - she made us immediately feel at home. To our surprise, she also gave us a free upgrade as the room was vacant: in our 6-month trip around the world, she was the only small hotel-owner who did this (apart from a few 5-star hotels). It's this kind of gesture which really sets this place apart.

The room was so lovely with a balcony looking towards the swaying palm trees at the nearby beach. We really enjoyed just relaxing, taking strolls on the beach and eating out meals on the balcony. If we go back to Port Douglas we'll definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2010

Great location,quiet but very close to town . Staff were very friendly and helpful - nothing was too much trouble.
We will be back thats for sure.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 9, 2010

I am in a conundrum about whether to post a review for “By the Sea Port Douglas” because while on the one hand they deserve the highest praise for offering outstanding self-contained facilities, comfort, service, advice and genuinely friendly hospitality, on the other hand I don’t want to let the secret out and find that next time I visit Port Douglas I shan’t be able to stay there because everyone else has discovered this little accommodation gem.

However, I do know that if accommodation like “By the Sea” are to survive, thrive and be there when I next visit they need assured, consistent business, so it is in the spirit of fairness and unselfishness that I reveal my delight at discovering and staying at “By the Sea”.

Literally, and I do mean literally, one minute walk from the quiet, secluded end of the beach, and tucked away down the end of the main drag of Port Douglas, but only three minutes walk from great coffee at Zinc “By the Sea Port Douglas” offers the perfect alternative to typical resort style accommodation. My studio apartment had a balcony overlooking the main street with a view to the beach and boasted a well equipped kitchen, complete with a two hob proper electric stove, large water glasses as well as champagne AND wine glasses, sharp kitchen knives, a good fry pan and a large fridge / freezer – not one of those silly in-fridge ice boxes. I mention these things in particular as they are frequently the items that can be of dubious quality in self-contained accommodation.

I am a huge fan of self-contained accommodation and write this review with such venues in mind as I love my own space and the ability the self-cater. I do not like resorts and when I go away my priorities are peace, privacy, cleanliness and if I am visiting a beach side destination…the beach... within easy, preferably throwing distance. “By the Sea Port Douglas” offers all these things and more.

The beds were very comfortable (my apartment had a king and a large single), the bathroom had plenty of towels and more were readily available including beach towels if required. The television worked properly including the digital channels – not that I watched much, and there was an air conditioner should you require it – although personally I don’t like air conditioning. There was plenty of room for two people, whether they be friends or a couple, and if salt and sand is not your thing there is an deliciously warm swimming pool just long enough for a lazy lap supported by a noodle.

I could write much more about the lovliness of this accommodation but I shan't. I shall however, offer my final compliments to the staff of this wonderful establishment. They were genuinely welcoming and friendly and nothing was too much trouble. They were able and willing to offer advice on everything from adventure activities to the best restaurants and cafes for your needs, and are able to make all bookings for you at no extra charge. And they have a great sense of fun and humour.

So for those travelers that like accommodation that is individual and thoughtful, and without the pretentious ritz of resorts but able to offer that something special then “By the Sea Port Douglas” is the place to go.....but shssshhh don't tell everybody !

See you next year....................

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends