As part of our retiral Asian/Australian tour, organised by "Austravel" in the UK, this accommodation was by far the worst we encountered. We "signed in" for our 6 night stay" and firstly were told that there would be a deposit deducted from our credit card to cover the likelihood of any damages etc. during our stay. This was a bit of a surprise as none of the other 5 hotels/resorts required this. We felt this was an insult. There was no offer of assistance with our suitcases (my wife has limited mobility) and again other hotels/resorts offered porterage without having to be asked! Room 1204, which is immediately across from reception, was of a standard size and because the window and balcony were situated on a south westerly aspect ( shade in the southern hemisphere), with wooden canopy it was so dark that the room light had to be put on in order to read anything including the information sheet. We felt like we were in the hotel broom cupboard! There was an adjoining but locked door to the next room/apartment which presumably served as an overflow bedroom for them. There were stains on the carpet and the decor looked "tired". There were ants on the bedside table. I immediately went back to reception and asked for another room ( and was willing to pay the extra cost regardless of size/upgrade). I was told that there were no other rooms available but room 2105 would become available the next day at 10.00am ( for extra cost). We immediately went to see where this room was located ( lift from Macrossan Street side) but the smell in the corridor outside the room was offputing so we decided, to try and put up with room 1204. We had little choice as we had arrived by plane and had no car in order to find another hotel. There were no cooking facilities only a kettle, which was OK with us, but again only a couple of sachets of coffee and tea and no milk for a six night stay is a bit mean, to say the least! The final letdown was the "Room Servicing" policy. We were spending 6 nights, had to put our own rubbish out in the car park bins. had only one day's provision of shampoo etc. Had we requested "Mantra Refresh Service" would have had to pay 43 AUD for the privilege! After six days, the small bins, would have been "ripe" if not unhygienic in the Tropics. Had I not taken them and emptied them myself this would have constituted a health hazard and have encouraged more ants to visit!
The staff were the positive side as they were friendly, helpful and informative. The poolside was good, clean well maintained and a pleasant place to sit (and read). The other poolside accommodation looked suited to purpose but the "cupboard/room" to which we were allocated was a letdown. This resort should review its policy on Deposits, Rubbish Disposal, Non Existent Room Servicing and turn room 1204 into a Cleaners' Cupboard!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled around 1200 square metres of saltwater lagoon pools and spas, Mantra Heritage, embraces its relaxed atmosphere and central location, and provides the perfect base to explore all Port Douglas has to offer. Comprising hotel rooms as well as self contained one and two bedroom apartments, all have comfortable furnishings with some featuring a swim-up pool deck. The apartments are fully self contained and offer additional features such as a kitchenette and separate living area. All rooms feature air-conditioning, ceiling fans, tea and coffee making facilities, internet access, cable TV and balconies. Set around two lagoon style pools and amongst tropical gardens, the resort offers relaxation, privacy and poolside living yet is central to the heart of the main street via direct walkway access. Only a short stroll from the wharf and Four Mile Beach, Mantra Heritage provides a pleasant holiday location perfect for couples or families alike. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your Mantra Heritage reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mantra Heritage Port Douglas Hotel Port Douglas
- Mantra Heritage Hotel Port Douglas
- Port Douglas Mantra Heritage