Having read the reviews on Trip Advisor, we had prepared ourselves for disappointment at this hotel. And the fact that it was raining when we arrived and couldn't find the place (Davidson Street splits into two) didn't help alleviate our fears. But how unfounded these fears were!
But when we eventually did see it, in the dark, we were pleasantly surprised - the hotel was lit up with "flamed torches" which really set it apart from others in the area.
Location wise, this was perfect for us; about a 10 minute walk from the central shops/restaurants of Port Douglas (which gives you time to walk off your dinner), and just a 2 minute walk throught he back of the hotel to the 4-mile beach - where there is a life-guarded area.
We called into Reception to ask what we did with the car, and they directed us to the spacious carpark, and then we checked in. The chap on Reception was so friendly and helpful it was unreal - so off we went to our hotel room (through the maze of passages), but were a little disappointed with the room - it was on the ground floor with a view of the lagoon (pool), but the balcony area was completely blocked by huge plants (great for preventing people staring into your room, but means you have no view).
So, we called back to Reception to see if there was anything better; they spent about 10 minutes trying to juggle around future room bookings so that we could upgrade to an apartment room, and had to wait for about an hour whilst it was cleaned. They let us look at the room before commiting to it, and yes, it was definitely worth the upgrade. The room was very large, had well equipped bathroom (with whirlpool thing in it), breakfast kitchen, separate seating area, and then a furnished balcony.
Breakfast was all that you needed - OK, so the surroundings are not luxurious and the table cloths are plastic, but the food variety and quality couldn't be faulted.
Pool area is fine - not good if you're a serious swimmer but then how many hotels are good for this?
We were so pleased with this hotel, we would absolutely recommend it and would go back there without any question.
The hotel doesn't do evening meals, so we ate on Macrossan Street - both "Zinc" and "Mango Jam" are places we won't forget - absolutely brilliant!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At Mantra PortSea there are almost too many relaxation choices, there are three swimming pools with the large central lagoon featuring a swim-up pool bar with water slide, spas and waterfalls surrounded by magnificent Golden Canes and vivid Haliconias. Situated between the seascape of Four Mile Beach and Port Douglas Village, the property offers hotel rooms, and one and two bedroom suites or two bedroom apartments. All hotel rooms, studios and apartments feature air-conditioning, ceiling fans, flat screen TV, movies on demand, mini-bar on request and tea and coffee making facilities. One and two bedroom studios and two bedroom apartments boast the added convenience of kitchenette facilities and the comfort of a two person spa bath and private balcony. Four Mile Beach (just one minute's walk from the resort) is a unique stretch of beach that looks out over the Coral Sea. All tours can be booked by the reception tour desk. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire and HotelQuickly so you can book your Mantra PortSea reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mantra Portsea Port Douglas
- Mantra Portsea Resort Port Douglas