I must say after staying at the Mantra Esplanade in Cairns for 3 nights on our arrival at the Mantra Portsea for our 4 night stay we were shocked with the size of the room we were allocated. Our 'hotel' room was the 2nd bedroom for a 2 bedroom apartment. There was one 'main' door which led into 2 doors - one being the main bedroom with bathroom, kitchenette and balcony while the other door was supposed to accommodate the children with their own bathroom and no balcony.
This 2nd bedroom was the room we were allocated and we felt like we were in a cage with no balcony to step out into the fresh air and only a louvered window to look out from whilst standing (plus the room was much smaller than we have in our own homes). There were 2 lounge chairs (placed below the tv so you could not sit in them to watch), 2 single beds a small bar fridge and no room for anything else - not even a luggage rack so we needed to place bags on the lounge chairs so we did not trip over them.
We approached the reception desk asking if there had been a mistake and if we could move to something else but all they said was it is the 'hotel room' which we booked. My response was we booked a 'hotel room' at the Mantra Esplanade in Cairns and they also had the one main door with 2 doors leading from it but our '2nd bedroom' there had much more space and we also had a balcony where we could get out and feel like we were experiencing FNQ. To go to such an exotic place and then have to sit in your room of an afternoon with no view while trying to have 'happy hour' was a major disappointment.
There was no happy outcome for us from the management (even though they promised to look at it the next day, we did not hear from them again) but we made the most of their pool area and when other people retreated to their balcony rooms for dinner we stayed with cocktails lazing on our pool chairs enjoying our own personal 'balcony' that was bigger than anyone else had. We enjoyed champagne, prawns, pizzas and many other meals on that 'balcony' sitting in the dark with only the pool lighting. I guess we were lucky we had nice weather to be able to experience the hotel facilities and not be sitting in our small hotel room.
I know we all take pot luck when we book a resort or hotel but how are guests supposed to know the floor plans of rooms when they book we can only go by pictures in brochures and web sites when we make our decisions. We did get over it after the first night and enjoyed the continental breakfast that was provided each morning but I would think twice about booking a Mantra hotel again before I knew the layout of the rooms.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At Mantra PortSea there are almost too many relaxation choices, there are three swimming pools with the large central lagoon featuring a swim-up pool bar with water slide, spas and waterfalls surrounded by magnificent Golden Canes and vivid Haliconias. Situated between the seascape of Four Mile Beach and Port Douglas Village, the property offers hotel rooms, and one and two bedroom suites or two bedroom apartments. All hotel rooms, studios and apartments feature air-conditioning, ceiling fans, flat screen TV, movies on demand, mini-bar on request and tea and coffee making facilities. One and two bedroom studios and two bedroom apartments boast the added convenience of kitchenette facilities and the comfort of a two person spa bath and private balcony. Four Mile Beach (just one minute's walk from the resort) is a unique stretch of beach that looks out over the Coral Sea. All tours can be booked by the reception tour desk. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Mantra PortSea reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mantra Portsea Port Douglas
- Mantra Portsea Resort Port Douglas