Mantra PortSea
Ranked #25 of 42 Hotels in Port Douglas
Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

Arrived and had two rooms both musty and in need of a refresh. Everything felt damp all the time. Rooms are not serviced and that was a surprise. Lots of loud and unsupervised children at the pool. So if you are looking for some quiet. Head to the lap pool or the beach. the free breakfast and pools are nice. Staff is helpful but the rooms are dated. Location is walking distance to the main drag. Would not not stay again. There is nothing like old and stained bedding to turn you off from relaxing.

Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank rella118
Jess W, Front Office Manager at Mantra PortSea, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2014

Dear rella118,
Thank you for your recent review of Mantra Portsea Resort. We apologise for any discomfort you felt during your stay. In the wet season, with the high humidity there is a chance that some rooms will feel that way. In circumstances such as this, our reception staff are more than happy to move guests to alternative rooms. In regards to servicing, this property is self contained which means that we do not service daily. This is advertised however we understand that this style of accommodation does not meet all peoples requirements and apologise that you were not happy with this aspect.
We are a family friendly resort, so in the school holiday periods we do enjoy the arrival of many families but as you mentioned there are alternative solar heated lap pools available for guests who prefer peace and quiet. We appreciate your comments on our staff and if you get the chance would appreciate if you could contact me directly to advise of the room number so we can check the room and bedding. Should you reconsider returning to Mantra Portsea, we’d love to welcome you back for a great holiday experience.

KInd Regards
Jess Whitworth

Write a ReviewReviews (1,666)

Reviewed April 17, 2014 via mobile

This place is awesome. Breakfast is great and the pools are crystal clear.
Very nice resort and awesome place to stay. Port Douglas is a great place to stay and this is another nice mantra.
The unit is very nice and spacious and the kids love the resort facilities.
Can Definitely recommend.

Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Hayden53

Dear Hayden53,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us at Mantra Portsea. We are glad you and your children enjoyed our apartments, breakfast and resort facilities. We pride ourselves on being a family friendly resort and the main pool is definitely a favourite amongst the kids! We are delighted you will recommend us and hope we can welcome you back soon as special return guests.

Kind Regards
Jess Whitworth

Reviewed April 15, 2014

well I stayed at mantra port sea just before Christmas 2013 and only just managed to review. Great place nice room, clean, tidy, well presented. Staff extremely helpful, even recommended some great trips and tours! Must do Billy Tea Daintree Rainforest tour!! and of course the amazing Barrier Reef!

Very quiet around and in the town but Highly Recommend this place!

Room Tip: overlooking the pool!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Kyla S, General Manager at Mantra PortSea, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

Thank you very much for your review of Mantra Portsea. We are delighted that you had a great stay and enjoyed our clean rooms and helpful staff. It sounds like you got to enjoy some great tours also! December is quiet as it is our low season however we are glad that you still had a great time.

Reviewed April 10, 2014

Unfortunately, to date my experience has not been a pleasant one. I have not stayed at the hotel as yet but I would rate the customer service I received through Mantra Reservations and Expedia as very poor. To fill you you in I made a booking for my husband & I for our first wedding anniversary at the Mantra Port-sea for nights of 18th-21st of April 2014. Due to Cyclone Ita hitting North Queensland tomorrow night 12 April I was advised today by local residents and the local Tourist Board here in Townsville to change my booking or cancel and get a refund. Taking their good advice on board I rang the Mantra Port-sea telephone reception number listed on their webpage to find out the number was disconnected..... I then proceeded to ring Mantra Reservations line and was left holding for ages, eventually getting through to a reservations rep who placed me on hold for over 20 mins without coming back to me.... Before she put me on hold she advised me to ring back Expedia who I made the booking through. I had already previously rang Expedia and they put me on hold to ring the Mantra Port-sea. Expedia came back to say that Port-sea could not change my booking (as it was a special offer - this offer was 642 dollars for 3 nights and was not an offer in my eyes) -or- neither would they refund me as conditions at the hotel remained fine. They gave me no reassurance about my booking only to say that I would clearly not be refunded due to special room rate. I do believe in situations like a Cyclone Grade 5 hitting the North Queensland Coast line that measures should be put in place for the poor tourists who have booked in for Easter Break and will struggle to travel up there with roads closed off. This would not happen in the UK or Ireland or anywhere in Europe for that matter. Their customer service is pathetic. I am a very disgruntled traveler who will not book through Expedia again or the Mantra hotel group for that matter and will tell people not to book through them also going forward. As a seasoned traveler and someone who works in the hotel industry in Europe I will definately take my case further....

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Cora R

Dear Cora R, thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience with representatives of our business. We apologise that you felt mistreated, that is not the usual standards of our service. I am glad that I have since been able to contact you and that you are excited about your holiday at Mantra Portsea. As mentioned in our correspondence we need to be able to fully assess a situation before making cancelations to guest bookings that are due for arrival well after any event. We do however understand the fear involved around potential natural disaster situations and can appreciate your concern. Our gorgeous resort was so lucky to escape any damage or major disruption and it is business as usual in Port Douglas. We are glad that you will be arriving for your holiday and we are very confident that you will have a memorable stay. Happy Anniversary and we will see you on your arrival.

Reviewed April 9, 2014

Thoroughly enjoyed this beautiful, well-run hotel. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble. Our room was very well-equipped with a large k;itchen area, sitting room and spotlessly clean bathroom with shower and whirlpool bath. The hotel grounds and pool were delightful and there was direct access to the idyllic silver beach. The only criticism I would make is that it wasn't made clear to us that our room would not be cleaned for the week of our stay which was a bit disappointing. However, that apart, we had a wonderful stay and would recommend the hotel very highly.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Susan F
Kyla S, General Manager at Mantra PortSea, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Dear Susan F, thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Mantra Portsea, Port Douglas. We apprecaite your wonderful comments about our customer service and staff. It is delightful to hear that your room was spotlessly clean and had all the facilites/equipment you required. Thank you for highly recommending us to you friends and family. We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed April 7, 2014

Friendly staff. Helpful hint - Grab rails in the showers would be good for elderly people. Good position. Quiet location. Close to the beach. Breakfast was good. Rooms were excellent.
Close enough to the main part of town - there are some excellent restaurants in Port Douglas - well worth the visit.

Room Tip: Room with a balcony so you can enjoy the Qld weather.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lee19462014

Dear lee19462014 , thank you very much for your wonderful review of Mantra Portsea. We are glad that you had a great holiday experience and wish to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

This place is beautiful!! The rooms are very clean, fans, A/C, beds are comfy, bathrooms were spotless, and the hot showers hit the spot after a long day sitting in the pool at the bar, or sitting in the pool at night with relaxing mood lighting. The BBQ area is a relaxing spot to sit and easy to use. Made good use of the pool room. The staff are all very friendly and help when needed. Yummy choice for breakfast. Close walking distance to town. Would definitely stay there again!!!

Room Tip: Rooms with the pool view are nice, lovely to look out of and hear the waterfall of a night.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Di C
Kyla S, General Manager at Mantra PortSea, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2014

Dear Di C,
Thank you for an amazing review! I am glad you found your room to be very clean and comfortable. It sounds like you were able to take full advantage of our facilities during your stay and I totally agreed the lighting in and around the pool is so relaxing at night. We are glad you found the breakfast yummy, it really is a great continental selection and a good start to the day. We’d love to welcome you back in the future – please contact us directly and we will ensure to create another wonderful stay for you.