“I'm still trying to find a positive.”
Review of Mantra PortSea

Mantra PortSea
Ranked #23 of 42 Hotels in Port Douglas
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Oh the soap was really nice and the pen.I simply cannot believe that people can call this place ' amazing or fantastic.What a joke.The rooms spacious??? are you kidding me.We were placed in a tiny room that was suposed to have a king size bed in it.A king size bed wouldn't fit in that room.(requested as my wife is 6 ft + and has a bad back).I had to argue it out with staff that it wasn't a king bed.It also was voiced that it was for our anniversary and we were placed beside the main pool area.(just what you need on a romantic weekend-kids playing at 7am)THERE WAS NO BALCONY OR WINDOWS-just some aluminium louvers that give little to no view or airflow, you do realise its get very hot up in the tropics.Apparently however there is such a thing as a king size zip bed which is Mantras' version.oh but it's the same--just smaller than a normal one.???We had to prove that we had breakfast included in our deal and produce paperwork.Oh, its a 'continental breakfast' some tinned fruit, cereal, some bread and a toaster, some ham and some cheese slices .No salt or pepper to be seen anywhere.My wife had asked( in an email as a surprise for me) for Champagne and chocolates be left in our room when checking in(at a price which is fine),nothing was mentioned or seen.So when asked we were told to 'check the fridge'.No champagne glasses supplied or offer of ice/bucket.
To try to resolve the issue( all this was done quite repectfully and calm i didnt want any boats rocked and didnt want to upset my wife , it was our 1st Anniversary) we were show 2 other rooms.One room pretty much exactly to same just on another floor closer to the pool area.(WHY i don't know..).The other which had a kitchenette, and sitting area,with a balcony area. Given little to no choice i said we would take it-since there was no way they could give us a king size bed or any other rooms.It's an extra $40 a night...!
We weren't given what we paid for, we certainly weren't treated with any compensation, we had to pay extra for a reasonable room.The english lady who had to deal with us was very nice and of course trying to help the situation but i could see her hands were tied from the manager.
We have travelled a lot.We have stayed in many hotels all over the world.I worked in hospitality for many years.I am certainly not a person who carries on and makes too much of a fuss or expects things i dont pay for or expect.I'd like to think i am courteous and respectful of staff whether at a local pub, a luxury resort or the supermarket.We are not well off and have to save for such luxuries as an anniversary away.
Who designed and built the monstrosity-it is a maze of halls and doors-possibly one of the worst designed resorts ever,take a compas and a GPS to get out.
I ran into serveral other people in town during our stay, that were staying at Portsea too and they all said the same thing-this is just not one person airing a grievance.
After looking about we had discovered better deals and much better hotels around the area.My biggest regret is that i didnt read through all the reviews before we booked as there are several with the same comments as I have.The pictures do NOT tell the story here!!
I will be contacting Wotif and letting them know of this too. This was suposed to be 4 STAR--this is far from it, and the only way we got near a second or 4rth star is we had to pay more for it!!

And to you Mr/Ms Manger..I do not expect you to comment.I expected you to deliver what you advertised, to instruct your staff to make compensation for your hotels short commings and to act like someone holding your postion with proffessionalism.It would not have taken much..So if this letter only but helps take that measly $120 out of your profits,if not more, that you charged us extra, then my job is done.A little goes a long way.
When asked that 'did you realise by treating us this way i would leave this review'- and the smug way you had said 'you welcome all feed back-it helps monitor the hotels business'-well i hope this helps you!
Just like word of mouth and Trip advisor-it is the best/ or worst form of advertisment.!
Look about people there is better for the same $$, and you may even get what you pay for!

Oh and the pen broke after a few days too,,, so i guess its down to the lovely soap.

If you look at the pic, there is aboit 1.5 foot on this side and i am up against the small fridge to take this.on the right is where a couple of sets of louvers opens,,no windows, no view, and open to all noise,the door on other side enters the tiny bathroom. Its very hard to pass each other .
The leather satchel in the picture is
approx 38cm wide x approx 4 wide= 153cm = queen bed..=room tiny noisy hot box
Nothing bigger was seen.or offered..

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank TrippinRob
HECrampton, General Manager at Mantra PortSea, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

To TrippinRob, thank you for taking your time to write such a lengthy review of your stay at Mantra Portsea. I can see you are clearly frustrated and appologise that the room you booked did not reach your expectations.

The room you booked and paid for was a hotel room through a ‘mystery deal’ on wotif, which does indeed state that the hotel rooms have a kingzip bed available. All of our Hotel rooms do have this bedding, it was a pure unfortunate circumstance that the unit you were booked into originally , the bedding had been swapped between the 2 adjoining rooms without our knowledge. This is extremely rare occurrence which has been rectified immediately. You were given an alternate hotel room option immediately that had the king bed but you declined this offer. The size of the Kingzip beds is the true size of an industry standard king bed, as supplied by commercial bedding companies for hotels. Regarding the location of the room, as it was your anniversary we opted to give you a lagoon view room as we thought this would be a nice option as most guests really enjoy the lagoon location.

The room that you opted to move to was actually 2 room types higher than the room you had booked and paid for. The one bedroom studio is a larger room type and does have the kitchenette facilities, spa bath, balcony and much more space. This is why you were charged to upgrade as you were moving to a different room type all together. The rate you were given to upgrade was actually discounted.

Our breakfast as stated on your reservation is ‘continental buffet’ and is included in the majority of our bookings as a complementary service to our guests. Our continental buffet breakfast is not limited as mentioned, it actually consists of five types of cereal, four types of bread (including gluten free), pastries (croissants, muffins and crumpets), ham, cheese, fruit salad (both freshly made every morning, tinned peaches/pears and whole fruits eg apple and oranges), two varieties of yoghurt, two choices of juice, coffee (machine in which you can choose your favourite coffee eg latte) and tea, including herbal options. There are lovely cafes in town should guests seek a full cooked breakfast.

As you mentioned it does get very hot up here in the tropics which is why we must place all food and wine in the fridges for our guests. If we were to leave the chocolates and wine out on the bench and you were to arrive later in the evening the chocolates and ice in the ice buckets would melt and not be of use. Sorry if this caused confusion for you, our intention was to ensure the gifts were ready to enjoy when you arrived.

Unfortunately you did not speak with me during your stay, so I apologise that you were under the impression the management gave you a smug reply. That is not our level of service and it is disappointing to hear that is how any comments by staff was taken. I do however agree with our staff, we do welcome all feedback and yes it certainly does help us monitor the hotels business. We agree that trip advisor is an important forum. Our staff are given levels of authority to resolve guest complaints and we operate to the best of our ability within our procedures and policies to ensure we are achieving the highest possible result for our guests. We cannot be making decisions outside of reasonable parameters just because a guest advised that they will post a trip advisor review if we cannot take the action they request. It’s important to us that we our guests have an enjoyable time and we welcome all feedback so we can continue to strive for the best.

So I do thank you very much for taking your time to post your review on your stay, your feedback was appreciated and duly noted.

Kindest Regards

There are newer reviews for Mantra PortSea

Reviewed October 24, 2012

I have stayed in this property 3 times now... I just cant go past it. Yes there are other bigger better hotels but I would rather save those few extra dollars to spend on activities.
This hotel has a great pool! A pool bar which makes great cocktails... and is walking distance to the main street where there are shops and restaurants etc.
Staff are very friendly and helpful, the only reason this property gets the 4 instead of 5 stars is because they dont have a restaurant on site... but other than that I cannot flaw the Portsea.
Do yourself a favour and stay there.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends

Dear krystal g, Thank you very much for your positive review of our resort as well as your continued loyalty to Mantra Portsea. We are so grateful to have wonderful repeat clientele that we see year after year. We are glad that you have such an enjoyable holiday. Your comments about our staff are appreciated. We truly do love our working environment and doing all we can to make our guests happy. We hope that we can continue to make your holidays memorable and look forward to seeing you again soon.
Kindest Regards

Reviewed October 17, 2012

It was our first time in Port Douglas (wife and I and three year old) and we thoroughly enjoyed our nine day stay at the Portsea. My daughter & I loved the huge lagoon style pool and the beach was just a short walk away. Lots of other kids in the pool too so it is a good choice if travelling as a family. The room was clean and well laid out with a great view of the lagoon pool. I requested a cartain type of room and was pleased that my request was met. I liked the fact that the room was serviced daily. I could relax and not feel I needed to tidy up after my daughter ready for the cleaner. The pool lighting and flame torches at night were a nice touch. The walk isn't too far into town but with a three year old we tended to catch the shuttle bus most of the time. Breakfast was nice although I think finishing at 9:30am is a bit early. The other thing to be mindful of is there is no real dinner or room service option. The pool bar menu is a bit limited and is only available up to about 6pm. Having a semi kitchen with full fridge out weighed this though as we just made sure we were stocked up with food. It was handy with a bottle shop, Chinese & Japanese restaurants just across the road too.
If we ever have the opportunity we wouldn't hesitate staying here again.

Room Tip: It's worth paying the extra to get a pool view. The doors and windows are very good at blocking...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
HECrampton, General Manager at Mantra PortSea, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2012

Hi AussieGuy1,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay at Mantra PortSea.

The shuttle bus that leaves across the road from the Resort is definitely a service worth taking advantage of for parents with young children. Being able to buy 1 day, 3 day and weekly passes also makes it a bit more cost effective for families.

Lighting the flares around the pool at night really sets the atmosphere for a relaxing tropical holiday for guests. They can enjoy a lovely meal on their balcony overlooking the pool with the added serenity of the flares.

We do always work our hardest to ensure all of our guests requests are met and we are only too happy that we could meet all of your requests. We value your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to Mantra PortSea.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

We had one of the best stays ever here at port sea. Everything was terrific. The staff were excellent and did everything they could to help you. The pool area was amazing. Everyone just lived in it. They had a pool bar which was great. It was right next to an amazing beach. The tennis courts were top notch so we did not even have to leave to have a holiday. There was underground private parking and was about 1km from the centre of town. Very clean and the rooms were excellent. Thanks Mantra so much.

Room Tip: Higher floors have great views.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Hi Heather R,
Thank you for your glowing review of Mantra PortSea.

We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at Mantra PortSea.
Our swim up pool bar is a facility that guests enjoy whilst staying with us at Mantra PortSea. With light meals, ice creams and a fully licensed bar what more could you need!

Guests enjoy our location here as we are close to town and only a stone’s throw from the beautiful Four Mile Beach. There is nothing better than a nice walk back to your accommodation along the beach after dining at some of Port Douglas best restaurants.

Our staff work extremely hard to ensure our guests enjoy their stay here with us at Mantra PortSea and we are only too pleased to thank you for recognising their achievements.
We hope to welcome you back to Mantra PortSea again sometime soon.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

My husband and I went to port Douglas for the first time. Mantra port sea was beautiful. Very kid friendly even though we didn't have our children with us. Beautiful pool area very close to beach. Buffet breakfast was no hot food like egg and bacon or bake beans and sausages but plenty of cereals fresh fruit pastries ect. The staff were very friendly and helpful. They have happy hour at the pool bar every night. A nice clean hotel. We would stay there again with or without kids.

Room Tip: It isn't as close to macrossan street as you might think. It is a far walk.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Hi Lyndal B,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay here with us at Mantra PortSea.

We are glad to hear you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed the beautiful lagoon pool and our close proximity to the stunning Four Mile Beach. The walk into town is a little further being 800m to Macrossan Street.

A nice cold continental breakfast is the perfect way to start off a hot summers day in sunny Port Douglas, giving you enough energy to enjoy the magnificent tours which depart from the resort daily.

At Mantra PortSea we pride ourselves on our customer service and cleanliness of rooms. It is wonderful to hear that we could make your first time in Port Douglas a memorable one.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Mantra PortSea sometime soon.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

After a horrible experience at the Sheraton it was nice to be in a place that had friendly professional service and updated rooms. The hotel is in a beautiful setting close to the beach and a nice relaxing walk to town. The staff even went the extra mile and made sure we had a beautiful room with large balcony over looking the lap pool and a few little extras in the room. Thank you. We had a comfortable and relaxing stay. I wasn't worried by not having room service everyday - in fact I found the absence of this regular intrusion a bonus. By the time we required a refresh we got it. The breakfast is simple but more then adequate and they were happy to ensure I had gluten-free bread for toast. Thank you for a great stay.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MiniMooToo

Dear MiniMooToo,
We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay here at Mantra PortSea.

We pride ourselves on our customer service and always strive to ensure that our guests’ stays with us are thoroughly enjoyed. With fresh towels, tea/coffee and all in-room extras available to be replenished from Reception whenever they are needed it provides you with more privacy, without the interruption of housekeepers on a daily basis.

With breakfast being the most important part of the day we ensure our guests can maximize the time they have here with us with the complimentary inclusion of a large continental buffet breakfast daily. We are glad you enjoyed this inclusion as we are proud to provide this service to our guests.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay here with us at Mantra PortSea and we look forward to welcoming you back soon as one of our valued guests.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

Do not expect normal hotel service, the rooms are NOT serviced daily and the "hotel" rooms are the size of a walk in wardrobe! With out balconies.
Very dissapointed.
I agree with comments regarding pool bar, however the reception staff try to do their best.

Stayed: September 2012

Hi John J,
Thank you for your review on Mantra PortSea. We certainly appologise that we have not been able to reach your expectations on this occasion.
All of our rates are un-serviced rates to ensure that we remain an affordable holiday destination for guests of all budgets.
Servicing is available upon request through Reception with fresh towels, toilet paper or any other amenities which may be required can be replenished from Reception 24 hours a day.
The hotel room is definitely not recommended for stays longer than 1-2 nights, however guests are always more than welcome to upgrade to a larger room type upon arrival.
Thank you for your positive comments about the front desk staff, they really do try their best to look after our valued guests.
We hope we will get the chance to see you again in the future for a stay in one of our larger room types that we are sure you will enjoy.